Knowledge Base
Community

Mobile Number Information Issue [25/01/12] [Resolved]

Started by: craig_t
On: 25/01/2012 | 12:26
Replies: 295

by: shortylumber
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:24
On the engadget link im sure it said not all users were/are effected, or something to similar effect. Will have a look on my phone later
Message 28 of 296
by: weaversbrook
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:26 edited: 25/01/2012 | 10:33

Big who-- har about nothing as I see it there are ways and means of getting mobile numbers other than this and I really cant see web sites trawling through the millions of hits just to get a number there are companies out there that sell your number on regardless of whether you want them to every time you ring a company on your mobile your number is recorded anyway so calm down people it's not the end of the world as we know it But I do suspect the bandwagon will roll on and suddenly OH I want COMPENSATION will enter the fray. And until its fixed use mini opera does not do it then

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
http://bit.ly/giffgaffblackberry
Message 29 of 296
by: kirbz
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:34 edited: 25/01/2012 | 10:40

Weaversbrook:

Websites don't have to 'trawl' through millions of hits. They simply write a tiny script that automatically pulls out phone numbers, and only phone numbers, from as many records as they need to.

It is a 5 minute job to collect thousands of phone numbers - for ANY site that has ever been visited by an O2/Giffgaff user. This is not a 'who-har', it's a massive failure to protect customer privacy.

Edit: As an unfortunate result of all this publicity, websites with ill intentions will now be alerted to the fact that they can go and get your phone number from their logs - so actually this problem is self-escalating. It's threads like this (that yes, might create a 'who-har') that get stuff done and force companies to change dangerous policies.

Message 30 of 296
by: pinkcalculator
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:37
O2 must be getting a move on fixing this I can't see how Tesco and GG are able to do anything other than complain to O2 as well
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 31 of 296
by: cbh1948
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:43

This is disgraceful.

My two cents:

1) To say giffgaff are not responsible is not acceptable.  I am giffgaff's customer, not o2's.  Giffgaff are liable for this and, in turn, o2 may be liable to giffgaff.  When the going is good, people love to shout about how great giffgaff is.  Those people should realise that, when things go wrong, giffgaff are the responsible party.

2) Why should we not have compensation?  If the law entitles us to it, I don't see why we should deny ourselves that.

3) If this is a fuss about nothing, why has Parliament deemed it necessary to introduce a Data Protection Act to prevent this very matter from occurring.  If you think this is a fuss about nothing, perhaps you should start a petition to abolish this Act; I for one will not sign it.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 32 of 296
by: dtw231
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:43

With regard to this issue, as Tesco and gg run on O2's infrastructure, it's down to O2 (as the landlord, so to speak), to investigate and prevent it from happening.   Tenants cannot be held responsible for what their landlord does or fails to do - just alert them to it.

Message 33 of 296
by: oldyorkie
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:45

Hi kirbz.

Very good of you to share this info...

Just tested your link on both default browser and opera mini on my Galaxy....

To confirm my number is hi-lited as visible when using default but NOT VISIBLE on opera mini.

Good job I always use opera then...

Thanks for sharing....

To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try Smiley Wink
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at Smiley TongueGet a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
Message 34 of 296
by: kirbz
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:45 edited: 25/01/2012 | 10:47

dtw231: While this might apply in a housing scenario, it is not the case in big business.

Edit: Sorry - to be clear, you're right that O2 have to fix the problem - I'm just opposed to clearing giffgaff of blame on this occasion.

Message 35 of 296
by: cbh1948
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:47 edited: 25/01/2012 | 10:48

@dtw231 wrote:

With regard to this issue, as Tesco and gg run on O2's infrastructure, it's down to O2 (as the landlord, so to speak), to investigate and prevent it from happening.   Tenants cannot be held responsible for what their landlord does or fails to do - just alert them to it.

I am not an expert on the Data Protection Act, but I wouldn't mind betting that giffgaff are responsible.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection.aspx

"If you handle personal information about individuals, you have a number of legal obligations to protect that information under the Data Protection Act 1998."

I am pretty sure that it would be no defence for giffgaff to say that, because they use another company's services (o2) then we are not liable.  As I have said, they probably are liable to us but, in turn, o2 will probably be liable to giffgaff.

It is dangerous to draw analogies from different areas of law.  This is not a landlord / tenant situation and will not be treated as such.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 36 of 296
by: dtw231
on: 25/01/2012 | 10:50
gg is on O2's network, it uses their data paths so as host, they are responsible for the privacy and safe keeping of their users.
Message 37 of 296