Community

Mobile Number Information Issue [25/01/12] [Resolved]

Started by: craig_t
On: 25/01/2012 | 12:26
Replies: 295

by: andy0
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:11 edited: 25/01/2012 | 12:12

@styly wrote:
This probably explains the posts we've seen lately about the 'you're entitled to £3000 compensation' texts..
..i've had 2 in the past month or so

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with it

They even send those messages to phones which have not used internet, or haven't been switched on for weeks 

Just randomly chosen numbers  

Message 69 of 296
by: ewaht
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:11 edited: 25/01/2012 | 12:12

I wonder if those of us that give out giffgaff sim cards can now be liable to be sued for this massive privacy breach ?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 70 of 296
by: hc_1540
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:12

Personally I'm really not bothered by this at all. I am seeing zero impact from this 'massive security breach' and I suspect a lot of the people here who are up in arms haven't been impacted either. Surely there are more important things to spend your time worrying about?

And by the way, this is an O2 issue and should always be referred to as such. While gg uses the O2 network, it has no responsibility for the pieces of kit that are causing this to happen.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 71 of 296
by: pinkcalculator
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:15
Totally agree
Although we have had odd txt and calls from blocked numbers I'm not sure it's anything to do with this O2 issue
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 72 of 296
by: turkeyphant
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:17

@pinkcalculator wrote:
Lifted this bit from the Engadget app
Update: We received confirmation from O2, who said that it was "investigating with internal teams and it's our top priority." Slashgear and Think Broadband were unable to replicate the problem, but in our tests (pictured) it was sharing our data with the site.

I thought TB did confirm it?

Message 73 of 296
by: turkeyphant
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:19

@hc_1540 wrote:

Personally I'm really not bothered by this at all. I am seeing zero impact from this 'massive security breach' and I suspect a lot of the people here who are up in arms haven't been impacted either. Surely there are more important things to spend your time worrying about?

And by the way, this is an O2 issue and should always be referred to as such. While gg uses the O2 network, it has no responsibility for the pieces of kit that are causing this to happen.

The impact hasn't happened yet! Now website know that they have two years of logs link customers' number with their mobile operator AND their browsing habits. The exploits are huge from phishing to spam to whatever. Just because you haven't been affected yet doesn't mean nobody will nor that you won't be.

And by the way, GG choose the O2 network. They are responsible for due diligence. If your headtecher employed a peado in your kids school, would they not be to blame?

Message 74 of 296
by: adsyrah
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:20

Well this has royally pissed me off.

GG need to let us know what they're doing to 'rectify' this. Is there anything they can do other than moan to O2?!

Adam

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 75 of 296
by: jms0
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:21

A very small number of people may be very badly affected, but may not know it yet.  Suppose that a potential employer managed to connect a candidates phone with a website offering support for those with drug or alcohol problems.  I can't see them getting the job, regardless of what the law says.  What if a blogger, writing critically about their employer, was to be identified? There is the potential for real harm.

Giffgaff sells O2's services, and shouldn't be able to hide behind O2.  As giffgaff users we can only complain to (or sue if necessary) giffgaff.  It's for giffgaff to take things further with O2.

You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
Message 76 of 296
by: vorb
on: 25/01/2012 | 12:24
Disappointed to read about this.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

- Terry Pratchett, Eric
Message 77 of 296