Started by: judith
On: 16/12/2011 | 16:54
Replies: 65

Highlighted
by: judith
former giff-staffer

on: 16/12/2011 | 16:54 edited: 16/12/2011 | 17:16

Hi all,

We just finished our fourth payback, and we paid out an amazing amount of money. 

Some of you received quite a lot of £££ and I just wanted to bring to your attention that this may have tax implications for you.

I am not a personal tax advisor but the basics are that any income should be disclosed on your tax return.

We mention it in our terms and conditions for Payback that it is up to you to work out the tax implications - please see T's and C's: just copy/pasting this clause here for your reference: 
7.1.5. If you receive Paybacks in excess of 100% of the amount you have topped up in the period leading up to and including your Payback Date, there may be personal tax implications for you, which you will be required to take responsibility for.

There is some advice on the HRMCs website, but they don't have a long list of what does or doesn't qualify.

If you want to find out more you can call them to discuss if you are liable to pay tax.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/taxable-income.htm#3

Thanks Judith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Judith @ giffgaff finance
Message 1 of 66
by: 786pk
on: 16/12/2011 | 16:54
Very happy to hear, Just joined giffgaff and hope to get my first points next month Smiley Happy
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 66
by: cricpk
on: 16/12/2011 | 16:55 edited: 16/12/2011 | 16:56

I recieved my first payment this time. and i was impressed.

It was a nice reward to helping fellow members out.

Thanks giffgaff
Smiley Happy

Please KUDOS If you Like my Post. If I Have Been Helpful then MARK AS SOLUTION. 
Free giffgaff sim + £5 Free Credit Click on Banner below
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 66
by: royaltynumbers
on: 16/12/2011 | 16:57

thanks for that judith

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 66
by: poul
on: 16/12/2011 | 17:01
does this count for under 18-16 teens to ?
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 66
by: stanj028
on: 16/12/2011 | 17:02
I think tax only counts on 600 and above when paid in one sum? Correct if I am wrong?
signature11
IF ONE DOES NOT PLOW THERE WILL BE NO HARVEST, WE ARE A TEAM, KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Was my post *AWESOME* or generally helpful? feel free to share some kudos love!
Message 6 of 66
by: mastermikeywwt
on: 16/12/2011 | 17:22

under 18s don't have to pay tax and neither do people in fulltime education or on benefits Smiley Wink

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 66
by: llyamah
on: 16/12/2011 | 17:30 edited: 16/12/2011 | 17:33

With respect, that is not true! Under 18s do have to pay tax - they have a tax free allowance like everyone else.  If they earn above that allowance, they pay tax on that amount, simples.  The same goes for students.

And why would it be only for figures of £600 or more?  Where on earth did that figure come from?!  It applies to every penny!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Money/TaxesAndYou/DG_10027647

"Everyone in the country can have a certain amount of income without having to pay any Income Tax. This is called your 'personal allowance'. This tax year (2010-11), the personal allowance for everyone under the age of 65 is £6,475 - meaning you won't pay any Income Tax on income up to that amount."

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 66
by: zhouzilu83
on: 16/12/2011 | 17:35

It's a good reminder, although still a long way to go until I need to pay tax. Smiley Wink

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
** ACCEPT A SOLUTION WHEN ISSUE IS SOLVED **
Help others also help yourself!
Kudos=Being Helpful
Message 9 of 66
by: adsb
on: 16/12/2011 | 17:41

@judith wrote:

I am not a personal tax advisor but the basics are that any income should be disclosed on your tax return.

We mention it in our terms and conditions for Payback that it is up to you to work out the tax implications - please see T's and C's: just copy/pasting this clause here for your reference: 
7.1.5. If you receive Paybacks in excess of 100% of the amount you have topped up in the period leading up to and including your Payback Date, there may be personal tax implications for you, which you will be required to take responsibility for.

What is written in section 7.1.5 sounds very dubious to me (but IANAL).

Giffgaff payback is somebody sending you money in recognition for a service which you have rendered to them.  That sounds like income to me.  If you were a plumber, and customers gave you money for sorting out their pipes, then that would be income - how is Giffgaff payment different ?

Now, section 7.1.5 is saying that if you receive some money from GG, but it's less than you spent with GG, then that's not needed to be declared as income for tax purposes...

So, supposing I work on the tills for Tesco for 10 hours a week at £10/hour.  So I earn £100 per week, before tax.  But, the Giffgaff section 7.1.5 appears to be saying, if I spend £110 a week on shopping in Tesco, then I don't have to pay any tax on the £100 a week I receive.  That doesn't sound right.

[ I'm not a lawyer, or a tax adviser, or anything like that.  Do not take this as legal or tax advise, consult a professional. ]

Message 10 of 66