Knowledge Base
Community

Porting in Problems - September 1st

Started by: robbie28
On: 01/09/2010 | 11:02
Replies: 29

by: robbie28
on: 01/09/2010 | 11:02 edited: 03/09/2010 | 10:02

We have noticed a number of problems with the port in process over the last 24 hours, and have been investigating these.

It is still not quite clear how many people are affected, though it seems the majority of ports are going through ok.

However, because Porting in is such an important thing - and carries with it the possibility of being without service, we have decided to stop processing new Port in requests until we have identified this issue and put in place a fix.

The port in page will be updated later today with that message. It will take a few hours to make the alteration to the site, but I wanted the community to be aware immediately.

If you have submitted a port request today: Any Port in requests that are have been, or will be received today, will not be processed, and we will communicate individually to everyone concerned so that they are aware.

If you are expecting to port in today or tomorrow: Port ins that are already in progress in the system will still be processed - that is likely to mean that ports due to complete today and tomorrow will still go ahead. If that changes I willupdate here and individuals will also be contacted on a personal basis.

If your port did not go through yesterday - or does not complete today: We will know about your case, and will be looking at it, and trying to resolve it as soon as possible. This issue has the highest priortity with our tech teams. So you do not need to contact us - but if you wish to do so for peace of mind - to ensure that we are looking at your case, please let an agent know here:

Apologies for any frustration this causes.

Update 13.30

Our latest update here from the tech teams is that of the 179 port ins we that were scheduled for yesterday and today, 147 should now be complete, the rest will be following through this afternoon.

Our member services agents will be trying to contact all ported in members by phone to check that their service is active, and this will be continuing for the rest of the afternoon.

update 17.22

We believe all of yesterday's and all of today's ports have gone through ok.

Tomorrow there are 165 ports due to complete, and we will follow the same operational process tomorrow to manage these through.

We cannot quickly change the transfer form - but we are changing the links that link to it so that a message is displayed explaining that Port ins will be unavailable for a while.

update 2nd September 11.50

Today's ports are strating to go through, so far we have processed about 80 of the 160 and the agents are making support calls to those who have ported to check their service

update: 15.33

All today's Port ins from other networks should have completed successfully.

Port ins from O2, and providers that operate on O2's network - such as Tesco, are delayed. The reason for this delay is that we cannot activate the keep number on giffgaff until we receieve a file from a department of O2 called Central Migrations.

Central Migrations were late sending us this file today - and that has delayed all Port ins from O2.

We are working hard to still get these ports completed today but at the moment that cannot be guaranteed.

Nigel Suddell our CTO has prepared a graphic that explains visually how the Port in System works and what can go wrong. I hope to add this to this post this afternoon.

Update September 3rd

09.46: The O2 & Tesco ports from yesterday continued to process through the system last night, though not all completed and some are still outstanding at the moment. The remaining ports are our no. 1 priority, we are getting confirmation of how many remain, at this stage we know of 5.

Today there are only 6 ports due to complete, because as outlined above we have stopped the port process until we can guarantee a better experience.

Please note: as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, for all port ins and new activations it will take up to 24 hours for the service to completely update across all our systems. This means that during this time you may experience one or all of the following 'symptoms':

• Your service activates in stages, eg. calls work but texts don't, then texts work too but data doesn't, then all services work
  • When you try to make an outbound call you get a strange O2 billing message (this is confusing but nothing to worry about)
  • Your balance shows as 'N/A' or not available even though you have a goodybag or credit or both
  • Your goodybag status and balance may fluctuate e.g. goodybag is there, then disappears, then reappears

If you experience any of these symptoms in the first 24 hours please do not worry and do not contact an agent, as there is nothing they can do, as this is currently our 'normal' process.

If these symptoms persist after 24 hours then please do contact an agent.

Many members experience none of these symptoms, but we realise that for those that do the experience is not up to the service levels that giffgaff wants to provide. That is why we are taking measures to improve our systems - as detailed in our CTO's post and our CEO's post. And why we are taking the port system offline for improvements.

Robbie Hearn
Ex member of the giffgaff team, still fond admirer
Message 1 of 30
by: sjb2016
on: 01/09/2010 | 12:24

I'm monitoring my partner's port-in as she's out and about, and I'm just at work Smiley Happy Anyway, she's supposed to be ported in today, but currently her credit is Not Available and the number is still her giffgaff number (not the number she wants to keep) according to My giffgaff.

Her user name is racceber.

Not submitting an agent request yet, as it's still early-ish in the day and you're obviously aware of an issue with port -ins. Having said that, please don't forget her. I'd like to be able to speak with and text her for free (I was ported in yesterday with no issue). 

Message 2 of 30
by: syorksdeano
on: 01/09/2010 | 12:26
sjb2016

The mygiffgaff page takes longer to update than her mobile. You may find that when she can contact you thaat her old number will show on the caller display
`Please give me kudos if my reply was helpful.'

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 30
by: racceber
on: 01/09/2010 | 12:34

I understand that the My giffgaff takes longer to update, but I'm concerned that her balance went from the correct £15 to Not Available. You're right though, I should give her a ring on my lunch. Just worried because the move to giffgaff was my suggestion, and being a techie, technology not working is something I live with all the time. She would rather just have something that works.

Message 4 of 30
by: syorksdeano
on: 01/09/2010 | 12:36
You will find that the port over takes place sometime in the afternoon so you may not get hold of her straight away.

Don't worry about the my giffgaff showing not available, that usually sorts itself out after 24 hours
`Please give me kudos if my reply was helpful.'

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 30
by: michala
on: 01/09/2010 | 13:25

I can report that as of 10am today(my predicted time) I was fully functional Smiley Happy better late than never Smiley Happy

However I am pleased to see how quickly the team have decided to stop port in requests until they can resolve matters fully...

If I have helped please pass on Kudos
Message 6 of 30
on: 01/09/2010 | 13:30

@racceber I understand your concern. We are having progress meetings every three hours or so today, with all parties connected internally with managing the port process.

The changes your partner is seeing, while confusing, are a natural part of our system and are caused by various parts of the system updating at different times. It will sort itself out.

Our latest update here from the tech teams is that of the 179 port ins we that were scheduled for yesterday and today, 147 should now be complete, the rest will be following through this afternoon.

Our member services agents will be trying to contact all ported in members by phone to check that their service is active, and this will be continuing for the rest of the afternoon.

I hope this gives you some reassurance.

Robbie Hearn
Message 7 of 30
by: sjb2016
on: 01/09/2010 | 13:42

It seems that my partner's port has gone through, atleast My giffgaff has updated and her balance appears correctly. I've texted her and got a nice message on my phone saying that the text was free. I haven't got a reply, but she's probably just ignoring me Robot Sad Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to be on giffgaff.

Message 8 of 30
by: rickharrison
on: 01/09/2010 | 16:52

Hi,

I was planning on requesting a port in from O2 today, which I hope would be completed by next Tuesday when I go on holiday to Portugal.

With the current issues, can you advise when best to request the transfer and will be it completed by next week?

Message 9 of 30
on: 01/09/2010 | 17:27 edited: 02/09/2010 | 15:57

update 17.22

We believe all of yesterday's and all of today's ports have gone through ok.

Tomorrow there are 165 ports due to complete, and we will follow the same operational process tomorrow to manage these through.

We cannot quickly change the transfer form - but we are changing the links that link to it so that a message is displayed explaining that Port ins will be unavailable for a while.

Robbie Hearn
Message 10 of 30