by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 29/11/2012 | 10:57 edited: 02/12/2012 | 08:27

Previous update information in spoiler:

Click to reveal

Click to reveal
Click to reveal

Morning all,

Some £10 goodybags this morning have been applied with incorrect levels of data allowance and minutes. We are looking into this issue and will update you when we have more information.

All the best,

Will

Update - 11:13

This issue is not affecting queued or recurring goodybags, so no need to worry if you queue or recur yours. In addition to this some goodybags are displaying "Balance N/A" this morning. We are investigating this as well.

All the best,

Will

Update - 11:51

Morning all,

I have renamed this thread from "Goodybags applying incorrect balance" to "Goodybag issues" as there are now three separate goodybag issues at the moment.

• Some £10 goodybags this morning have been applied with incorrect levels of data allowance and minutes.
  • Some accounts are showing "Balance N/A" and others are showing pending, processing or updating when buying a goodybag or top up. [RESOLVED]
  • Some members are unable to buy goodybags or top up. [RESOLVED]

These issues are related and we are looking into them. If you are affected please do not contact an agent.

All the best,

Will

Further update information in spoiler:

Click to reveal

Update - 14:30

We're still working on a fix for these issues. I'm afraid that I don't have much more information to share, but we have identified the cause and are working on a fix at the moment.

This issue is not just affecting non queued goodybags as stated before, it is affecting indiscriminately of queued or recurring status.

All the best,

Will

UPDATE 16.45

Hey all,

Just to let you know we just got off the phone with the folks who are looking into this, we are satisfied that things are progressing well . The team are looking into the next steps.  

I hope to give you a more detailed update soon.

Sarah

UPDATE 20:02

After talking with our tech team, they're looking at a couple of options, including reconfiguring a couple of network nodes. We're also continuing to investigate the cause and we'll be back when we know more.

Thanks everyone for bearing with us,

Sarah

UPDATE 20:56

Hi folks,

You might have noticed a few people also reporting issues with outgoing calls and texts. We're aware of this and at the moment we suspect that it's part of this service issue - once we progress to a resolution on this, we should see outbound service resume.

We'll be back soon with an update on what we're doing to work towards it tonight.

Cheers,
~WT

UPDATE 21:22

We're continuing to test, but it looks like the engineers have found the root cause - the problem was that part of our system had stopped communicating with our network nodes. They're working on bringing this back up and I'll let you know what's what shortly.

Thanks for your patience guys.

Sarah

UPDATE 23:00 29/11/2012

Hey folks,

Just heard back from the engineers on this with a bit more detail about what the problem was and how they're working to get it sorted. As a headline, though, we have a workaround in place and you should start to see payments process throughout the night (as some of you already have).

So, details: when you make a payment to giffgaff, it goes into a bit of kit that checks the payment is kosher, before sending it off to our system that allocates credit or a goodybag to your account. However, because of this problem with the network nodes, the information wasn't able to get through, and so top-ups weren't able to be applied.

The engineers have applied a fix for the moment to run throughout the night. This allows these systems to reconnect again, and any top-ups that you've attempted will be re-attempted in a queue until they're all processed. We're expecting this to finish by late tomorrow morning, all being well, but of course lots of people will start to see their account topping up before then. Any top-ups made between now and then will get added onto the end of the queue, too - so we might still see delays in top-ups, but they'll all process through in order.

This should get the issues with "Balance not available" and the inability to top-up sorted. The issue with the £10 goodybag displaying an incorrect balance is being looked at, but we won't have an update on that until tomorrow.

Cheers for sticking with us folks. Smiley Happy

~WT

Update - 09:15

Good morning,

I have just spoken to the technical team and the situation is the same as last night. The fix has been applied to accounts and this should then be applied to all accounts by late this morning. Many more have been processed since last night, but if you are still affected then please wait for it to go through. By later this morning you should also be able to use your voucher if you have been having trouble with it.

The issue where some members have had the incorrect balance applied with their £10 goodybag is being investigated and I will keep you informed here.

All the best,

Will

Update - 09:46

Any top ups or goodybags bought today will go through immediately without hitch. Only goodybags and top ups that are already delayed will be delayed. If you are having difficulty with any new goodybags or top ups bought today then please contact an agent. If you are still waiting for your delayed top up or goodybag to come through then please do not contact an agent.

All the best,

Will

Update - 14:11

Due to us reaching peak processing time the speed at which these issues are being processed has unfortunately slowed down as other necessary processes have to run at the same time.  Currently there are under 7% of affected member still to process. These should all go through today.

All the best,

Will

Update 16:29 

Hey guys,

99.5% of top ups and goodbags that were waiting to be processed have gone through, I will give you a shout when that reaches 100%.

Best wishes,

Francesca 

Update 19:34

Just to let you know the waiting goodybags and top ups should all have gone through now. The £10 goodybags with incorrect levels of data allowance and minutes should all be showing as correct too. If you are still having problems then you should ask an agent. 

Best wishes, 

Francesca 

Former Community Manager 
Message 1 of 742
by: pad3
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:00
thanks Will
Message 2 of 742
by: geohot
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:00
Hopefully this is fixed soon! Thanks for the update Will!
Get your giffgaff Nano-Sim for iPhone 5!
Message 3 of 742
by: mathew40
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:02
Thanks mate have a great day.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 742
by: lucky20123
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:06
thanks, my replacement sim is being activated i hope it doesnt effect my bag when being reapplyed
Message 5 of 742
by: blackpoolmadhead
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:13
cheeers will just wandered what was wrong with my gb
Message 6 of 742
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 29/11/2012 | 11:14

Update - 11:13

This issue is not affecting queued or recurring goodybags, so no need to worry if you queue or recur yours. In addition to this some goodybags are displaying "Balance N/A" this morning. We are investigating this as well.

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 7 of 742
by: chrisg4u
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:16
My goodybag is showing balance NA
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 742
by: psweeney1967
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:18

I also am showing balancd NA

Message 9 of 742
by: richardski
on: 29/11/2012 | 11:22

Hi Will23,

Thanks for the latest update.

GoodBag purchase problem still ongoing but I think I have mange to buy some airtime credit.

Richard

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 742