On: 12/10/2012 | 12:45
Replies: 1203

by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 12/10/2012 | 12:45 edited: 13/10/2012 | 14:51

Click to reveal

Click to reveal

Good afternoon all,

We are aware that some members are losing service with their calls, texts and internet. If you are affected please do not raise an agent case, keep checking back to this 

For the duration of this issue some customers maye experience a loss of calls, texts and internet. This is not affecting all customers.

Members who had a port in due for today will have a loss of service because we are not able to process the port ins. We will complete the ports once this service issue is resolved.

All the best,

Will

Update - 12:50

We have included a form in the first post. Please fill it in to help us speed up the investigation.

All the best,

Will

Update - 16:12

The engineers think that they have identified the issue and are now applying fixes. They do not believe that this is the same issue as experienced in July, it has similar symptoms as the cause is different and fewer members are affected. We are working to fix it now and hope to have it resolved this afternoon.

All the best,

Will

Update - 16:37

members who were porting in today will be able to expect their ports to complete once this issue has been resolved, regardless of when it ends.

Ordinarily port ins cannot happen after 9pm or on weekends due to the way that the industry handles them. This is not giffgaff specific and it is not something that we have control over. In this specific issue however we will be able to finish processing the ports regardless of what time they are done because all of the parts of the process that have to be done between specific times were unaffected and thus have been done. This means we can finish off the process ourselves once this issue has been resolved. 

Once this service issue has been resolved members who had their port due for today will have them completed soon after the issue is resolved.

All the best,

Will

Update - 13/10/2012 - 10:08

Hi all,

In addition to the last update, all ports are now going through and should be completed this morning.

Regards,

Christian

Click to reveal

Update - 17:24

The fix should have been applied now. This won't see an immediate fix on the users end however, it takes a while for the phone to apply it too. A reset might prompt it to reapply. Please try reseting your handset now by either turning it on and off again or by putting it in airplane mode and then take it out again.

Let us know if it worked.

All the best,

Will

Update - 17:46

I have just spoken with the technical team again. The fix has definitely been applied and it will be applied to phones over the next three hours. Some members will see service coming back before that, but at the longest it will only be 3 hours until all members are fixed. 

We do not know at the moment whether a hard reset will achieve anything, however your phone will not need a reset in order to be fixed.

All the best,

Will

UPDATE 19:09

Glad to see many of you seeing the fix appearing on your phones - if you haven't, sit tight and you should have service before 9pm. Smiley Happy

~WT

UPDATE 20:00

Hey all,

As we're currently in peak time, the usage on the network from connected members has risen, and so you may see that you see intermittent service due to increased load even if your phone has reconnected. The fix is still filtering throughout the network and phones are coming back up all the time, so we're still working to 9pm (one hour's time) for this to get all phones back up and running, but I just wanted to check in and let you know that if you're seeing intermittent issues on your handset that this is expected for now.

Cheers folks,

~WT

UPDATE 20:55

Hey folks,

Unfortunately, it looks like the rollout of the fix to all members handsets has been slowed down; possibly due to it being peak time on the network as mentioned. This means that we're likely to miss the projected time of 9pm we were hoping to hit. The network team are stilll working as hard as they can to ensure that we get full service this evening - we can see people have started to regain service as the evening has progressed and we'll see more come back online as time goes on.

Thanks so much for being so patient with us while we work to get this sorted, and we'll get you going as soon as we possibly can.

All the best,
~WT

UPDATE 21:10

Hey all,

I have a little more technical information for you here - the fault occurred in a network node, which is part of the network that connects phones to other phones, to the internet, and so on. We have quite a few of these spread around, but only one failed, which is why it's only affecting some people, but not others. The reason the fix isn't instant is because the backlog of missed connections has to be processed and caught up with - once that's sorted, we'll be good to go.

Cheers,

~WT

UPDATE 22:34

Hey folks,

We're still seeing people get reconnected at a steady rate, and this will continue overnight - thanks for posting your personal experiences. I'll be here for another hour or so to answer questions and make sure that you have updates as we get them, but even after I log off our techs are going to be diligently working throughout the night to ensure that everyone can get reconnected.

An educator will be back online early tomorrow morning to make sure that there's an update as soon as we can get it.

Cheers,

~WT

UPDATE 23:25

Looks like quite a few people are popping back on at the moment, which is great to see. I'm heading offline for now, but as I said, the techs are still going to be working their hardest to continue to get people up and running, and we'll have an update for you tomorrow morning.

Thanks all.

~WT

Update - 13/10/2012 - 08:13

Morning all,

The latest update is that service should now be restored to all customers.

Regards,

Christian

Update - 13/10/2012 - 12:10

Hi all,

I have just had further confirmation that this issue is now fully resolved. If you still have problems with data please try the work around suggested in the previous update (switching phone off and on again) if this still does not work please raise a case with the agent team.

If you are experiencing problems in regards to activations, top ups and goodybags please see the thread posted earlier today: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/Delays-to-activations-top-ups-and-good...

Thank you,

Christian

Former Community Manager 
Message 1 of 1,204
by: sairaadnan
on: 12/10/2012 | 12:47

Thanks will

Click on Yellow Star on your left or 'Accept as Solution' If I have helped
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 1,204
by: ste53
on: 12/10/2012 | 12:50
Not more problems.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 1,204
former giff-staffer

on: 12/10/2012 | 12:51

Update - 12:50

We have included a form in the first post. Please fill it in to help us speed up the investigation.

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 4 of 1,204
by: milla04
on: 12/10/2012 | 12:54

I am affected by loss of service, and also the form you have requested I fill in shows an error

Message 5 of 1,204
by: pjr
on: 12/10/2012 | 12:56
Thanks for the update will.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 1,204
former giff-staffer

on: 12/10/2012 | 12:57

@milla04 wrote:

I am affected by loss of service, and also the form you have requested I fill in shows an error

What error are you seeing when you try to fill in the form?

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 7 of 1,204
by: dteg
on: 12/10/2012 | 12:57
July all over again, by the sounds of it Smiley Sad

Still working here, but sense my seconds may be numbered...
OP: please click the Accept as Solution button below if this advice best solved your problem!

Message 8 of 1,204
by: mrs_gee
on: 12/10/2012 | 12:59

Thanks will again..

If someone has answered your question,, please mark it as 'accepted. Thank YOU Smiley Wink
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 1,204
by: milla04
on: 12/10/2012 | 13:04
For some reason google chrome is blocking your content. I just opened up internet explore. I have now submitted a request. Just to let you know. I have no signal whatsoever, cant make calls, texts and internet :-(
Message 10 of 1,204