On: 11/07/2012 | 15:22
Replies: 2735

Highlighted
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 11/07/2012 | 15:22 edited: 13/07/2012 | 09:17

Resolved - 08:08

Morning all,

Me again. How is everyone this morning? Well I trust.

I've just spoken with our CTO and everything should be resolved now: Core services, ports, unprovisioned SIMs etc. Anything that was affected by the outage. 

If you experienced a loss of 3G data please try re-entering your internet resettings in your phone again and if that does not work please contact the agents. This should be treated as though it is an unrelated issue.

All the best,

Will

Update - 20:38

Hi there,
A quick update from me to give you some information about port-ins and SIMs.
Some people are already seeing their port-ins complete, however this will not be the case for everyone. We are still looking at a time of tomorrow noon for these, but it's very likely that they will be completed much earlier.
Please do not make new port-in or out requests as they may not process properly; we will update you when it's advisable to do this.
If you reported your SIM lost or stolen either yesterday or today (11/07 & 12/07) then these will be dispatched tomorrow, so please factor in this as a potential delay if you're waiting.

Thank you for your support, understanding, and continued patience.
Kari

Update - 18:18

Good evening again.

If you're currently waiting for a port-in to complete, this should be done by noon tomorrow (Friday). However early indications look like these will be completed much earlier.

Activations should be finished by the end of tonight. 

Many thanks for your patience and your support.

Kari

Update  - 17:09

Good evening all,
We've just been told that all work has completed and 3G services should now be restored for everyone. 
Please reboot your handset now if you are still seeing 2G-only (making sure you've switched 3G back on of course - your phone may list it as "Mobile data" or WCDMA) and report back here if you're still seeing this problem. 
Listing what area you're in may help too as there may be planned maintenance where you live.

Kari

Update - 15:36

Hi guys, 

I'm making this update just to tidy things up and keep everyone up to date.

All core phone services (calls, texts, 2G and 3G) should now be working. Please try resetting your handsets to get these working.

The ongoing issues are being fixed slowly. The throttling issue with unprovisioned SIMs explained in this service thread are solved so they are being fixed now. The will be able to be activated tomorrow

Ports and replacement SIMs work on the same systems so these will be addressed once the SIM issue has been fixed. We do not have an ETA for this, but we will be able to provide more information on it at 7pm today. 

All the best,

Will

Update - 14:23

Knock on issues:

Replacement SIM activations:

We are fixing the issues pending with Sim Activations and this should be completed by 4pm. Please retry after 4pm and the activation code should work.
All the best,
WIll

Update - 14:10

Hi guys,

We've just had confirmation that the 3G network is gradually being restored and we're fully on schedule to get all 3G restored this afternoon.

All 3G should now be restored. Hurray! Please try a reboot of your handset to get it working.

All the best,

Will

We are now strongly advise members to not request to port in or out of the service for the time being as this will cause both the number that you are porting to and from to lose service while the system is down.

All the best,

Will

Update - 10:56

Knock on issues:

Ports: 

We are currently emailing members who have had their ports in and out affected by this issue. We are hoping to process a fix for these members later this afternoon, but we have no formal ETA for resolution.

Replacement SIMs:

These are pending, customers who request their handset to be barred will have their request accepted, but this will be queued until the service is available before it completes. Customers who have a SIM to replace their lost and stolen SIM will be able to add the 6 digit code, but again this will not be completed until the service is back up and the queue has gone through.

We are asking for a list of those affected so that we can send an email out to let affected customers know.

All the best,

Will

Update - 11:38

Hi guys,

We've seen that a number of you still have problems with voice services and believe that although the O2 2G network is running, the 3G network (which can also be used to connect the voice calls) is being restored during the day

So we are suggesting a couple of things 
- if your phone supports choosing 2G rather than 3G, or turning off 3G then try this
- turning on and off will re-associate the phone to the network and may result in picking up elements of newly restored network or 2G for voice calls

We now have an ETA for the 3G data network. We fully expect it to be back up and running this afternoon.

Resolved - 08:35

Hi all, 

I can now confirm that 2G should now be working again and 3G is slowly coming back online. Text and calls should now be working and data should come back on line soon.

Please try resetting your handsets and being patient while remaining services come back online.

If your calls, texts and 2G are still not working try switching off your 3G.

All the best,

Will

Update - 08:56

Knock on issues.

Hi all,

Services should be coming on for you all now, however there are some knock on issues caused by the outage

Port ins:

Members due to port in during the outage will still be missing some of their services. The port in system is still currently down so these members will be sorted as soon as the system is restored

Goodybag Inconsistencies:

This outage will cause a much higher than normal level of goodybag inconsistencies to show on the site. These will be sorted, so for now please ignore them and use the giffgaff shortcodes on your handset instead to find your balance.

All the best,

Will

=============================

Update - 08:08

Hi guys,

Many members are stating that if you turn your 3G off then your calls and texts will work better. I cannot officially confirm this, however it's worth a try.

All the best,

Will

Update:

Hi guys, 

Just to pre-warn you, we are seeing the same side-effect as last night happening again this morning, whereby certain services are affected due to the high traffic and knock on effect on this issue. At this moment in time, I can't tell you all the features that are effected, but slow top ups, goodybags, trouble logging in and time out issues on mygiffgaff may be experienced. Our Operations Manager is currently investigating and the Educator on morning shift will update you with more details after 8am. 

Thank you for your patience and we're sorry for the inconvenience, 
Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Good Morning guys, (it's light outside?)

The latest on this issue is that the engineers are still working furiously to resolve this as soon as possible. As we can see, a lot of members are now reporting being fixed which is great. We've no ETA at the moment for a final resolution but will update you when we receive any new information. 

I will be logging off now, and leave you in the capable hands of the Educators morning shift which starts at 8am. 

Please be assured that the tech team will work until this is resolved. 

For the final time tonight, Thank you for your patience and we're sorry for the inconvenience, 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Good morning guys, 

Thank you for your patience during this issue and what must be a frustrating time. Just to assure you that the engineers are still working to resolve this as quickly as possible.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused whiile this recovery work is in progress and we'll provide further updates as soon as we can. If you have any questions please don't hestitate to ask. 

Kind regards, 

Hazel. 

==========================================

on 12-07-2012 04:00

Update:

Hi guys, 

We don't have any new information for you now but justto reassure you that the tecn team are working on this and that improvements are being seen in the community 

Thank you for the support and understanding, it shows just what an amazing community you are, 

Kind regrads, 

Hazel. 

==============================================

on 12-07-2012 01:55

Update: Good Morning guys, Thank you for your continuing patience through-out the night. The engineers are aware of the cause and are working hard to resolve this as quickly as possible. We're witnessing more and more member having their services returned.

Thank you again for your understanding and sorry for any inconvinence,

Kind regards,

Hazel.

===============================

Update:

Good morning guys, 

No official update from the engineeIrs as of yet but we're seeing more and more reports of service returning for members. I'll update you as soon as we get any information, 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Good Morning guys, 

The delay issues with goodybags and top ups, logging in and timeout errors has now stabilised and cleared up. 

The latest on this issue is that the engineers are continuing to work throughout the night to resolve a fix. 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Good Evening, 

Due to a huge increase in traffic on our website tonight we are experiencing some extra delays with top-ups, purchasing goodybags and timeout errors for logging in and 'mygiffgaff'. These issues will subside by 23:30. 

The issue is not based on geography. Some members still have connections at the same location as others who do not. The problem is an issue within part of our core network that is preventing some mobile phones from successfully connecting. 

The tech team are working hard to resolve this as quickly as possible. 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Good Evening, unfortunately we;ve received no news from the tech team working on this issue, but we do know that they are working to resolve this as quickly as possible and that they will work until it fixed, 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Hi guys, unfortunately we've heard no new news from the tech team but are assured they are working hard to resolve this as quickly as possible. 

If you have any questions, please don't hestitate to ask. 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Update:

Good Evening, 

We have no new news at the moment and no ETA, but please be assured that the tech team are working to resolve this as fast as possible. As soon as we have any new information I will update this thread. 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

Official Update:

Hi guys, at the moment there is no new news, but the tech team are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. It will not affect ports or sim activations, 

Kind regards, 
Hazel.

===================================================

Hi everyone,

We are currently experiencing an outage for voice, text and data (2G and 3G). We are investigating the issue and hope to have it up and running as soon as possible.

All users will experience intermittent voice and data for the duration. This will only affect active SIMs, so this won't stop new SIMs from activating. 

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 1 of 2,736
by: as7861
on: 11/07/2012 | 15:23

@will23 wrote:

Hi everyone,

We are currently experiencing an outage for voice and data (2G and 3G). We are investigating the issue and hope to have it up and runniong as soon as possible.

All the best,

Will

Thanks for this Smiley Happy 

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 2,736
by: suheluddin2
on: 11/07/2012 | 15:25

thanks for the update

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'best answer’, then we know you're sorted
Message 3 of 2,736
by: paultheball
on: 11/07/2012 | 15:28
Thanks for the confirmation will, it will help
stop some of us pulling the phone apart, :-)

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 2,736
by: nickstranger
on: 11/07/2012 | 15:30

Yep... no service in West London at all.

The question has to be asked again... why does Giff gaff have these failures so often?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 2,736
by: woody1990
I just sat there takin my phone apart lol come on 02 sort it out
Message 6 of 2,736
by: nerakb
on: 11/07/2012 | 15:30 edited: 11/07/2012 | 15:31

Thanks for the update.I couldn't ring out a few minutes ago and neither could one of my sons.My other son was able to.....We're all on giffgaff and were all in the same room at the time.

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 2,736
by: dinodimps12

i have no network atall and it wnt let me connect to 02 ? is that because of this issue ? because it was fine earlier.

Message 8 of 2,736
by: will23
former giff-staffer

Update - 15:29

This will only affect active SIMs, so this won't stop new SIMs from activating. 

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 9 of 2,736
by: team_sniffer
on: 11/07/2012 | 15:31

Oh well thats OK then!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 2,736