grn_pix.jpg Restored

Receiving a text

grn_pix.jpg Available

Using mobile data

grn_pix.jpg Restored

Emergency calls

grn_pix.jpg Available

Summary

We had an issue this evening with outgoing calls and texts, and some members had trouble with mobile data. We got the engineers on the case and resolved it shortly before 10pm - if you're currently having issues with your service, please follow the steps below.

Most Recent Update

Resolved - 22:11 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, thanks for sticking with us through this. I'm pleased to say that we can now confirm that this is all resolved, and you should be able to use your phone as normal.

If you don't have service, don't forget:

• Turn your phone off and on to force a connection to the network
  • Check you have an active goodybag or credit on your phone to use
  • Make sure that masts are working in your area by checking at this link

If you've checked all of these and not found the issue, the folks in Help will be able to troubleshoot with you further, as it's likely to be an individual issue they can help with.

Thanks again for all your patience on this, everyone, and apologies once again for any trouble it's caused you.

Will

Updates

Please click the spoiler for a full history of this service issue to date. 

Click to reveal

19:52 - 14 Apr 2016

Good evening, all. I'm afraid that we've discovered a fault tonight with one of our systems that means that outgoing calls, outgoing texts, and mobile data aren't working at the moment. Incoming calls and text messages should still be received, and emergency calls are still working fine.

I'll fill out this post with more information and further updates as we have them, and answer any questions I can. We're very sorry for the disruption - please sit tight, and we'll have it fixed as soon as possible.

Best,

Will

Update - 20:07 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, quick update for you. First of all, we're very sorry that this has happened and for the inconvenience it will undoubtedly be for you. We're making sure we sort it as soon as we can.

We have a better understanding of the issue now, and our working with our supplier to rectify the problem. As part of our mitigation efforts, we're moving the website to a version with reduced functionality, so you may not be able to log in or view your account while we do. You'll still be able to follow along with this thread for updates while logged out, so please keep an eye out while we work on it.

Thanks,

Will

Update - 20:22 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, thanks for your reports around incoming calls - I've upgraded the table above to indicate some members are having difficulty.

It's worth noting that third-party apps, when being used through WiFi, won't be affected by this, so if you have iMessage, FaceTime, WhatsApp or similar, you'll be able to use these as a workaround while we investigate and get this sorted.

Thanks,

Will

Update - 20:31 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, a further update for you from our end. Thanks so much for all of your patience on this.

The engineers are currently in the process of performing maintenance on one of the systems that's causing the issue. Once they're done, they'll update us and I'll pass that through to you to make sure you're all informed on what's next.

Thanks,

Will

Update - 20:50 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, just checking in. The engineers are still hard at work on the piece of equipment (internally called a 'node') that we believe is causing this issue. As soon as they finish and update us on how it went, we'll let you know.

Thanks,

Will

Update - 21:08 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi everyone, thanks for sticking with us. If you're reading this, we think that data may now be stable. If you're affected by this issue, it'd be really useful if you could check if your mobile data is working or not and report back - just turn off your wifi, see if you can access your favourite website (that isn't giffgaff) and let us know in this thread.

Thanks folks.

Will

Update - 21:20 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi all, thank you so much for all your testing - it's been very useful. I'm happy to confirm that data access is restored for a majority of members, and rolling out to the rest as we speak.

The engineers have also come back and confirmed that they've completed maintenance on one of our system nodes, and so many of you may be able to make calls and send texts once more. We're still working on bringing the system back to normal, but this is a big step in the right direction, as some of you have already noticed.

I'll pop back on here with a further update soon as the fix progresses.

Will

Update - 21:28 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, it's great seeing all these posts of people having their service restored. Thank you so much for posting.

If you're not yet seeing your service back up and running, please try turning your mobile fully off, then on again. It's a cliché, but it can work, as it forces your mobile to make a fresh connection to the network.

I'll be back with a further update shortly.

Will

Update - 21:50 - 14 Apr 2016

Hi folks, thanks for following along. 

We've seen a big drop off in the amount of people needing to read and respond to this thread, as well as our metrics and monitoring showing that services are coming back to normal.

If you're still not experiencing the service you expect, please reboot your phone as a first step, which will force a new connection to the network.

Thanks,

Will

Hi folks, thanks for sticking with us through this. I'm pleased to say that we can now confirm that this is all resolved, and you should be able to use your phone as normal.

• If you don't have service, don't forget:

If you've checked all of these and not found the issue, the folks in Help will be able to troubleshoot with you further, as it's likely to be an individual issue they can help with.

Thanks again for all your patience on this, everyone, and apologies once again for any trouble it's caused you.

Will

giffgaff community bloke
I'll be away on a break after the 20th until July 1st. If you need something while I'm away, ask an Educator you know or hit me up next month.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 1 of 614
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: t_will
community giff-staffer

on: 14/04/2016 | 22:11 edited: 14/04/2016 | 23:03

• If you don't have service, don't forget:

Will

giffgaff community bloke
I'll be away on a break after the 20th until July 1st. If you need something while I'm away, ask an Educator you know or hit me up next month.
You can send me a message and we'll get rolling. Need a topic? Try here.
Message 541 of 614
Highlighted
by: jays90
on: 14/04/2016 | 19:53
By some miracle I could get on here using mobile data. Hope it's fixed soon!
Message 2 of 614
by: reteptseb
on: 14/04/2016 | 19:54
But rubbish. A phone network where you can't do anything.
Message 3 of 614
by: unbeatablegunz2013
on: 14/04/2016 | 19:54
Mine also! And im waiting on 2 important calls! Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 614
by: skywiisam
on: 14/04/2016 | 19:55
How long till giffgaff network fixed as down in peterborough!
Message 5 of 614
by: lubykelly
on: 14/04/2016 | 19:55
Can't call out or receive calls 😕😕
Message 6 of 614
by: lezbmental
on: 14/04/2016 | 19:56
i have data but no texts or calls going out or coming in grrrrr im a night security guard so not having phone working is a mega issue!!
Message 7 of 614
by: unbeatablegunz2013
Mine also .. both outgoing and incoming!
Message 8 of 614
by: skywiisam
Going maddd here need make important call what a nuisance
Message 9 of 614
by: drchef

Yep not good. Its not my week. My BT landline and internet are also currently down so this leaves me right in it!

Message 10 of 614