Knowledge Base
Community

UPDATED A few connected issues today - activations, port ins and goodybag purchases are being delayed

Started by: robbie28
On: 24/08/2010 | 15:17
Replies: 327

by: skinnyminny
on: 28/08/2010 | 13:07

hi it was suggested that ishould chamge to firefox as i may be able to successfully purchase a new goodybag.unfortunately that's not possible for me.i've also cleared browser of cookies etc as a very helpful member suggested but i am still not able to complete the purchase.i know that you are experiencing technical problems but any help would be greatly appreciatedf

Message 321 of 328
by: gawright
on: 28/08/2010 | 14:50
Did you clear cache as well as cookies? If you can't try firefox, what about chrome or opera?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 322 of 328
by: khairul
on: 29/08/2010 | 01:35

So is it business as usual now, then?

I have postponed promoting giffgaff and giving out SIMs until it is safe to do so.

Click here to order a giffgaff standard/Micro/Nano SIM and get £5 EXTRA CREDIT free with your first top-up! UK first class & international delivery available
Message 323 of 328
by: mary_r_t
on: 29/08/2010 | 01:38

Activations seem to be taking longer than they used to - up to the 24 hour mark - but they are going through.

Problems seem to have settled...famous last word!

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Urban Myths - The truth is out there!
Message 324 of 328
by: gingerfatman
on: 29/08/2010 | 15:30

yeah cleared cache too have tried to log in on different computer but still can't buy goodybag out of my balance on my acct or on my husband's either. ta for suggestions though.Smiley Happy

Message 325 of 328
by: skinnyminny
on: 29/08/2010 | 15:33

that last post should have been from me not gingerfatman-signed into the old man's account at the time duuuuuurrrr lol

Message 326 of 328
by: spool
on: 30/08/2010 | 01:52

Spent half hour writing a reply then it fell over so have to start again - I just wanted to say what I wonderful job I think the GG team have done over the past few days putting rite the issues that have been plaguing GG, I Have worked in large IT setups in banking and insurance over the years and even these places have problems like GG have had over the past weeks - I realise that if the issue effected you it will have been a pain in the neck - as it it did myself - But GG are keeping costs low to pass on to you and me by not having large teams, call centres etc and I realise you were probably tiered of being told to be patient but I can almost guarantee that the GG tech team have been burning the candle at both ends to get things back up and running - as a new organisation they were always going to have a few teething problems but it the long run it will all be worth it - I would say that the huge success of the company has taken everyone a bit by surprise and I would not be at all shocked that they become one of the leading networks in the net few months.  You also have to take off your hat to the head folk at GG, in most big organisations these faceless suits hide behind closed doors and pass the book to lower employees or the computer systems but the GG people have had the guts to put their hands up to the problems and  put themselves in the firing line.  If everyone just hangs in there I will put money on the fact that GG will become one of if not the best value for money network out there and will grab a massive chunk of the PAYG customer base - it will freak the large networks out completely, anyway enough back slapping apart from to say keep up the brilliant work and I sure everything will be running as clockwork very soon - you all deserve it - All I can say is GG for life!!!!

Go on give me some kudos...Im poor and need the free airtime!!
Get a free giffgaff Sim

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/spool
Message 327 of 328
Highlighted
by: robbie28
on: 31/08/2010 | 11:30 edited: 31/08/2010 | 11:33

FINAL Update 31st August 11.12

We are finally at the end point of the issues which emerged last week.

Everything should be working normally (I am touching a large piece of wood as I say that).

There are a couple of hangover effects:

1) Activations are still taking longer on average than they did before these issues cropped up. New members activating today should expect that activation may take 1 - 2 hours. We are continuing to change the underlying system structure to improve this - and Nigel Suddell will be updating the community later this week with a detailed update on what went wrong and what are doing to prevent the same thing happening again

2) There is an intermittent fault that is affecting a handful of users (4 or 5) where they find themselves unable to buy a goodybag - the screen not progressing beyond 'continue'. These are being investigated

3) There are a similar number of members reporting disappearance of goodybags. These are also being looked at individually.

4) Ports - all of last week's port ins have now completed successfully - and we are watching today's file of 114 very closely.

5) Compensation. We have compensated all members affected by Ports. Later today we are processing a file that will automatically compensate all members who were left out of pocket by the delayed goodybag issue. This credit will have two elements:

• a pro rata element that will compensate for any 'lost days'
  • a refund element that will return the value of any giffgaff airtime credit spent during those lost days.

If you have any questions about compensation, and whether it applies to you please wait until tomorrow when the compensation file will have been applied - and at that point please contact an agent.

As we are now back to normal, this will be the final update on this thread and I will lock the thread but leave it up for reference.

Thanks once again to all those affected for your patience, and sorry this happened.

Robbie Hearn
Ex member of the giffgaff team, still fond admirer
Message 328 of 328