Unlock HTC Desire Free
Take a look at our video and step-by-step instructions showing you how to Unlock your HTC Desire absolutely free. More and more, these phones are available from sites such as eBay and are already unlocked. However if you have an HTC Desire locked to another network, and you'd like to unlock it, follow the instructions below - make sure to follow each step carefully, or you may run into problems.
HTC Desire basics
You can get a second hand HTC Desire from anywhere between £74 and £120 dependent on the condition of the phone and whether it includes the original box etc.
More often now, a quick glance at eBay can deliver an already unlocked phone, however if you’re not so lucky, follow the instructions and video below and unlock your HTC Desire.
Unlock HTC Desire
For this video, you will need to download the following software and a PC (this process isn't compatible with Mac OS):
Step 1: Prepare your phone
To begin, you will need to turn on USB debugging on your phone. The can be done by:
1. Going into settings
2. Selecting applications
3. Selecting developer options
4. Checking the box titled "USB Debugging".
Now, turn your phone off and reboot in HBOOT. This can be done by holding both the volume down, then power button together.
The screen will boot up to a white simple text display with three android characters at the bottom.
Step 2: Prepare your computer
- Now it's time to download and install some software. If you haven't already downloaded all the files above, do so now to a location you can remember, we're going to call this folder "Desire Rooting Folder".
- Once downloaded, unzip the contents of the "android-usb-driver.zip" file to the "Desire Rooting Folder"
- Next, install "winrar-xxx-xxx.exe" and the "HTCDriver22.214.171.124.7.exe".
- Plug in your phone to your PC. Now on your computer, click start in the bottom left, right click My Computer, select manage.
- A window will pop up titled computer management. Now select device manager in the left hand panel. You should see a section titled "Other devices". Expand this to reveal a device "Android 1.0". **If you don't see this, unplug and replug your USB connector into your computer. If you still don't see it, you may already have these files installed and can therefore skip to section 3**
- Right click "Android 1.0", select update software driver and locate the file Android USB Drivers when prompted. This will install the appropriate drivers for HBOOT.
Step 3: Unlocking your phone
- In order to unlock your phone you need to extract the unlock tool ("HTC_Desire_Unlock_v0.9.5.rar") to your "Desire Rooting Folder".
- Now open the folder titled "HTC_Desire_Unlock_v0.9.5". Inside should be a file titled adb.exe. Double click this to make a window pop up and close. Next double click HTC_Desire_Unlock_v0.9.5.exe.
The unlock tool should run and will unlock your phone. The window will inform you when the process is complete, after which you have an unlocked HTC Desire ready for the giffgaff revolution.
If the unlocker hasn't worked for any reason, try using an older version of the tool,(v.0.9.4 - link above).
Original Method: http://www.sieempi.eu/blog/2011/08/17/desire-sim-u
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.