Get Help
Community

10,000 kudo list. What is & isn't considered worthy?

Started by: revjonty
On: 09/07/2018 | 13:09
Replies: 31

by: revjonty
on: 09/07/2018 | 13:09

Having tried to get an answer to this simple question in the thread dedicated to congratulating those who have gained the magic 10,000 in the areas which are counted, and got no useful answer, I figured maybe if I start a thread purely to ask the question I might get an answer.

So here goes. 

Which areas of the forum count (or don't count, if that is an easier list) towards the totals in this list?

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/kudos/leaderboardpage/timerange/all/tab/authors/page/1

Somebody must know. I could through a time consuming process of elimination work it out, but it would be so much easier if someone in the know could simply provide the info. 

Then maybe we can have a meaningful discussion about some of these other points. 

Is this a fair representation of usefulness of the posts which do and don't count? 

Does this elevate some members unfairly, and ignore some other members unfairly? 

Should some areas currently counted be excluded? Should some areas currently excluded be counted? 

What are peoples thoughts about this? 

Background

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/10-000-kudos/td-p/15678571/page/25

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 32
by: the_islander
on: 09/07/2018 | 14:31
Personally I think the leaderboard works well as it is, it definitely shows the members who have contributed to the forum in areas that actively help other members in terms of giffgaff's services.

The obvious exclusions to this leaderboard are General-Discussion and the games forum as they are social forums. But other than that it's hard to tell which sub forums are included/excluded. Do we know if Photography is included?

I personally don't think the social forums should be included in the leaderboard count as kudos for having a chat about the weather or ranking up shouldn't be counted as equal to a kudos given for solving a member's problem in H&S. I appreciate some GD threads have a lot of time and effort put into them, such as the RBY threads, but at the end of the day they are still social posts rather than actively helping members.

To me it acts as a motivation to get involved elsewhere in the community rather than just the general discussion forum where I'm normally camped out (especially while I'm struggling to find anything to comment on in GD).

Maybe clarification on which forums are included would be nice, but to be honest either way it wouldn't effect how I posted or where I posted.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 32
on: 09/07/2018 | 14:48
Just actually having a flick through the first 15 pages of the leaderboard and it gives me a huge wave of nostalgia, so many awesome members who I had the pleasure of getting to know back when I first joined 5years ago are included in those page and many are no longer active on the forums. Such a shame to have lost so many iconic members (to me at least).
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 32
on: 09/07/2018 | 15:07
@the_islander

What about the announcements board?
In the absence of information to the contrary I presume that it is counted.
Very rarely is any members post on that board really contributing anything, yet they can gain obscene amounts of kudo.
Take a look at this thread
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Say-hello-to-more-data-on-our-5-amp-7-50-goodybags-a...

Are the posts which essentially say "thanks that's great" any more worthy than for example a post in GD advising someone how to fix their laptop?
Doesn't the fact that posts on certain threads in announcements regularly gain double figure kudo (if you know how to play the game, you (& we) know who you are) yet h&s posts, even of the best kind, rarely gain a single one, making just a bit of a mockery of things?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 32
on: 09/07/2018 | 15:12 edited: 09/07/2018 | 15:17

Self censored.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 32
by: extreme_one
on: 09/07/2018 | 15:43

Huh? Smiley Frustrated I never knew this.

I had always assumed that a KUDO was worth the same value no matter where it was earned.

So there are worthy KUDOS and unworthy KUDOS ???

Are there some people that know where to earn the worthy ones, whilst the rest of us are kept in the dark?

It's all very strange I must say.

If this can be taken two ways, and one offends you, I probably meant the other way Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 32
on: 09/07/2018 | 16:34
@revjonty I completely agree with you regarding the announcement board, it's very easy to play the game there if you get in quick with a favourable opinion, seeing the "great job" responses getting double figure kudos just because they're on the first page of the thread getting the views can be frustrating when a post in H&S with a perfect answer doesn't get anything, but that's what the BA setters were introduced to try and help improve. The users of the forums are different too and has a big effect, new members after help don't understand the significance of kudos or BAs whereas frequent visitors to the site looking at the announcements would do and are more inclined to give kudos to like minded posts. Its not a perfect system by far as we all know.

@extreme_one the leaderboard has always been around and has shown kudos gained on the whole forum, originally you couldn't earn kudos in GD (or whatever name it had back then) and when kudos were introduced there, they were not included in the leaderboard. I'm unsure whether this was a giffgaff decision or if members were asked about it (might be worth a search to find out) but judging on how many perceived GD kudos back then I should imagine it was a move most members would have supported.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/kudos/leaderboardpage/timerange/all/tab/authors/page/19

You're on this page with 856 kudos, if you haven't already found it 👍
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 32
by: extreme_one
on: 09/07/2018 | 16:38

the_islander wrote:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/kudos/leaderboardpage/timerange/all/tab/authors/page/19

You're on this page with 856 kudos, if you haven't already found it 👍

And yet @the_islander, I actually have 9842 KUDOS, according to my profile.

So that must mean I have 8986 of the wrong kind of KUDOS.

Weird. Smiley Indifferent

If this can be taken two ways, and one offends you, I probably meant the other way Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 32
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 16:42
It all sounds to me like another valid excuse to get rid of the pointless gimmick that is kudos.

Seriously, that people care so much about something totally irrelevant to anything is mind-boggling to me.

Just get rid of it. That solves every single problem the stupid thing and the stupid reactions to it create.
Message 9 of 32
on: 09/07/2018 | 17:09
@extreme_one It's just means you have that many kudos in the social areas, they aren't wrong, just in a certain area of the forum.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 32