Knowledge Base
Community

100 m/t + always on data for £12 ?

Started by: bantonm
On: 20/07/2016 | 03:18
Replies: 18

by: bantonm
on: 20/07/2016 | 03:18

Yea, something like that I would like to see.

100 minutes, 100 texts and always on data for £12.

I think that's a fair price even though we know the data issues here are dire.

Get your GiffGaff sim - Click HERE
Please remember to give kudos and best answers.
Message 1 of 19
by: roda_
on: 20/07/2016 | 03:20
Dire? More like realistically competitive taking in to consideration the value to service ratio.
Message 2 of 19
on: 20/07/2016 | 03:21

For you maybe.

Message 3 of 19
by: vorb
on: 20/07/2016 | 07:08
I'd still pass on that package until data speeds are improved (which will never happen).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

- Terry Pratchett, Eric
Message 4 of 19
by: woodyuk
on: 20/07/2016 | 08:37

What is the wholesale price that giffgaff have to pay O2 per GB of data?

What does it cost giffgaff per GB to deliver that data to their customers?

Untill you have the information above to hand,then with respect you don't have the faintest idea what a fair price is.

Message 5 of 19
on: 20/07/2016 | 09:54

woodyuk wrote:

What is the wholesale price that giffgaff have to pay O2 per GB of data?

What does it cost giffgaff per GB to deliver that data to their customers?

Untill you have the information above to hand,then with respect you don't have the faintest idea what a fair price is. 

Loving the attitude woodyuk, all warm and fuzzy like sharp icicles. I see you feel like you work here.

Fair can also refer to willingness to pay. Remember supply and demand works both ways.

Message 6 of 19
by: mcilwraith
on: 20/07/2016 | 09:56

Labs is full of what individual members would like to see in a goodybag

This is just another suggestion to add to to add to them

Message 7 of 19
by: blackfive460
on: 20/07/2016 | 10:40

bantonm wrote:

Fair can also refer to willingness to pay. Remember supply and demand works both ways.

Actually, you've hit the nail right on the head there!

To put it another way; Market Forces...

A business has to try to decide what product range and price structure are likely to be best for the business, balancing profitability and customer acquisition and retention.

If they get it wrong, revenue and customer numbers start to fall and that's when you'll see a change.

If, on the other hand, revenue and customer numbers are growing, then you may not see a change.

Or to put it yet another way, if you don't like it, you can always leave - assuming you can find something better elsewhere, of course. Lots of people doing that and not being replaces is what will drive change.

Bearing in mind giffgaff's high rate of churn (47% in 2014) and that there hasn't been a product review for a little while, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes late this year or early next not that I'd expect to see cheaper data, just the opposite, in fact.

Message 8 of 19
on: 20/07/2016 | 10:48

blackfive460 wrote:

bantonm wrote:

Actually, you've hit the nail right on the head there!

To put it another way; Market Forces...

A business has to try to decide what product range and price structure are likely to be best for the business, balancing profitability and customer acquisition and retention.

If they get it wrong, revenue and customer numbers start to fall and that's when you'll see a change.

If, on the other hand, revenue and customer numbers are growing, then you may not see a change.

Or to put it yet another way, if you don't like it, you can always leave - assuming you can find something better elsewhere, of course. Lots of people doing that and not being replaces is what will drive change.

Bearing in mind giffgaff's high rate of churn (47% in 2014) and that there hasn't been a product review for a little while, I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes late this year or early next not that I'd expect to see cheaper data, just the opposite, in fact.

As you may already know, in my circumstances, I can easily just keep my wifes sim running on something. She needs calls, I don't. I can literally look at this as sod it then, I won't spend. There are many in my position I reckon. The companies in the industry and their professional ignorance isn't doing them any favours because unlike their hopes and dreams, people like me are not that desperate which is a huge hole in the supply and demand **bleep** up.

Message 9 of 19
by: woodyuk
on: 20/07/2016 | 10:55 edited: 20/07/2016 | 10:57

@bantonm yes certainly supply and demand works both ways but only if the product is available to supply.

Time and time again in the community we see the "I think giffgaff should give us 100GB of tetherable data for 50p per month"type posts but the question that nobody ever seems to ask is:-

Even forgetting price for a moment,where is this data going to come from?

If we move our way up the supply chain from the bottom then some but not all of the limiting factors are:-

1,the amount of data that giffgaff can aford to buy from O2 and still make an operating profit.

2,the amount of data that O2 are prepared to sell to giffgaff.

3,the amount of data spectrum that O2 can afford to buy at the OFCOM auctions.

4,the amount of spectrum that OFCOM are prepared to release to the networks at each auction.

Point 1 is self explainitory but by the time we get to point 2,O2 are already stretched pretty thinly I would imagine and they have Sky just about to launch what could very quickly become the UK's biggest MVNO using O2 as their provider so my guess would be that O2 are always going to favour outside money which will leave giffgaff with the leftovers.

Point 3 was born out at the last OFCOM auction where per capita of their customer base O2 were very much the poor relation at the auction purely and simply because their parent company Telefonica SA has huge debts totaling some 50 billion euros so O2 were only allowed very limited pocket money to take to the auction.

Point 4 again speaks for itself,OFCOM are obliged to turn the mobile spectrum into as much income for the goverment as they can.

Neither giffgaff or any other network have a magic wand where they can just conjour up infinte data at the drop of a hat so as they all get more and more tightly squeezed to supply our ever growing data demands and that demand continues to grow we are going to see two things happen,allowances will fall and prices will rise.

Message 10 of 19