Started by: will23
On: 21/03/2014 | 14:37
Replies: 1090

Go to best answer
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 01/07/2014 | 09:58
Morning all,

@asciimotog I've just given you edit rights, so go wild.

@ian011 I've published edits made to the special charges KB, good work there. If those articles that the publishers can't publish sit there too long then feel free to give me a prod and I'll jump in.

About the educator article, if you want something more permanent then try this link - http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user?advanced=true&ranking=99&search_page_siz...
Former Community Manager 
Message 241 of 1,091
by: gordie10
on: 01/07/2014 | 10:13

@will23 wrote:
About the educator article, if you want something more permanent then try this link - http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user?advanced=true&ranking=99&search_page_siz...

That just seems to be a list of all Educators though, not who's on-line now, or when they were last on-line. For example, Mark and Sarah are shown in that list, but I don't think they're currently on-line (not since last night).

Message 242 of 1,091
by: asciimotog
on: 01/07/2014 | 10:20

@will23 

@asciimotog I've just given you edit rights, so go wild.

Thanks for edit rights Smiley Happy

and for the link, it's better than nothing, but as @gordie10 mentioned it doesn't actually help with finding an online educator, and may leave users contacting educators that are unavailable.

Knowledge Base ~ Shortcodes ~ Community Guidelines

Ask the community ~ Ask an agent ~ Check agent messages ~ Educators 

Order a free sim with £5 free credit (£10 top up required)  PM me for sims by 1st class post and overseas

Message 243 of 1,091
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 01/07/2014 | 10:22
That's true. Might be worth having a brainstorm in contribute in another thread then.
Former Community Manager 
Message 244 of 1,091
on: 01/07/2014 | 10:25

@asciimotog wrote:

kB article: How do I find an online educator?

The section of this that used to auto update with a list of educators and their online status appears to be not working.

Can this be fixed? Or replaced by a list of eduucator tags that doesn't auto update?

If not, could the page be archived as otherwise this gives the (hopefully) incorrect impression that no educators are online at all?

Do we happen to know why this ustility no longer works?

And is it possible to archive/hide the article while it is blank/unuseable?

Order a free sim with £5 free credit (£10 top up required)  PM me for sims by 1st class post and overseas

Message 245 of 1,091
by: figment_uk
on: 01/07/2014 | 10:51

@asciimotog wrote:

@asciimotog wrote:

The section of this that used to auto update with a list of educators and their online status appears to be not working.

Can this be fixed? Or replaced by a list of eduucator tags that doesn't auto update?

If not, could the page be archived as otherwise this gives the (hopefully) incorrect impression that no educators are online at all?

Do we happen to know why this ustility no longer works?

And is it possible to archive/hide the article while it is blank/unuseable?

The page runs some javascript that is hosted on dropbox in an iframe. It appears that the javascript is being blocked somehow, as the script runs fine locally on my PC

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 246 of 1,091
on: 01/07/2014 | 10:52

@figment_uk wrote:

The page runs some javascript that is hosted on dropbox in an iframe. It appears that the javascript is being blocked somehow, as the script runs fine locally on my PC

Interesting - thanks - could that be related to some of the internet firewall issues over the weekend?

is there any scope for requesting that giffgaff host the script instead of it being hosted by a third party (dropbox)?

Message 247 of 1,091
by: figment_uk
on: 01/07/2014 | 11:11 edited: 01/07/2014 | 11:14

@asciimotog wrote:

@figment_uk wrote:

Interesting - thanks - could that be related to some of the internet firewall issues over the weekend?

is there any scope for requesting that giffgaff host the script instead of it being hosted by a third party (dropbox)?

No idea - the iframe was implemented in November 2012 by @jamesd2010 - maybe @will23 can shed some light on this.

The list of educators is hard-coded into the script, therefore has to be edited every time there is a change. I don't know enough about javascript to do it myself, but as all educators will be members of an educators group, I imagine it would be possible to dynamically pull the required details of all group members into an array instead of hard-coding them, which would keep the list up-to-date as educators arrive and leave. It should also be possible to display the 'last online' time for each educator in place of the hours, minutes and seconds since they were online.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 248 of 1,091
Highlighted
by: jamesd2010
on: 01/07/2014 | 11:28

@gordie10 wrote:

@asciimotog wrote:

It wasn't accurate anyway, so I'm kind of glad it's not working. Hopefully it will be replaced by something that IS accurate, with an up-to-date list of Educators (i.e. without the 3 that have left / changed role, and with any new Educators, such as Anika, although she's only temporary). It also badly needs timestamps that go beyond hours, minutes and seconds, and also reports days, as the widget was giving members the impression that Educators who hadn't been on-line for days (either because it was the weekend and they weren't working over the weekend, or because they were off sick or on holiday) had been around in the last 24 hours, which is exactly what it's not supposed to do. Smiley Indifferent

That's a limitation in the API and with Lithium. If Educators don't use the log out function, then Lithium will still think that the user is online, but not active. It then gives a set period of time to decide to class them as offline. It's certainly nice to know you're 'glad it's not working'.

I think you'll find most changes have been implemented, bar a few. The issue with the widget not displaying has been a problem in the past, I've had to host it on my Dropbox for a long time. When someone at giffgaff is approached regarding hosting on the members platform, it's a 'yes we'll get back to you'. 

giffgaff no longer give the support to members who have put a lot of time and resources into projects like it used to, even for things that were made that they once relied on. 

Consider it gone. 

Message 249 of 1,091
by: jamesd2010
on: 01/07/2014 | 11:31

@figment_uk wrote:

@asciimotog wrote:

@figment_uk wrote:

No idea - the iframe was implemented in November 2012 by @jamesd2010 - maybe @will23 can shed some light on this.

The list of educators is hard-coded into the script, therefore has to be edited every time there is a change. I don't know enough about javascript to do it myself, but as all educators will be members of an educators group, I imagine it would be possible to dynamically pull the required details of all group members into an array instead of hard-coding them, which would keep the list up-to-date as educators arrive and leave. It should also be possible to display the 'last online' time for each educator in place of the hours, minutes and seconds since they were online.

The last online function was what was previously implemented - But it relied on trimming down an iframe to display that data. 

Message 250 of 1,091