Community

A Knowledge Base Run By You: Contribute to the KB

Started by: will23
On: 21/03/2014 | 14:37
Replies: 1090

Go to best answer
by: gordie10
on: 02/07/2014 | 11:29

@asciimotog (and others): Re: edit restrictions for the "Guide to the 4G Trial" article, you may have noticed that I'm a contributor to that article, and you may be wondering how that was possible. Well, back in April, when this article was created, editors WERE allowed to make changes to this article, and I made some changes within the first few days of its creation. Even then publishing was restricted to giffstaffers responsible for the Knowledge Base, and I queried why it was taking the best part of a week for my changes to be published. This was Knowledge Manager, @jeremyn's response ... 

"@gordie10 , I think you can blame it on the Easter week-end :smileywink: One of the perks of having community publishers on top of Will and myself is to improve our publication time, we just need to dust off the process.

I published the last edits this morning.

By the way I had to restrict the permissions on the "4G trial" article (after publishing your edits) - as it contains small prints, I need to make sure that this part is not modified."

So that should explain the restriction. Smiley Happy

Message 271 of 1,091
by: ian011
on: 02/07/2014 | 11:34

Over the last few months, I have worked with JeremyN and Figment_UK to expunge a number of typos, spelling and grammatical errors, and some layout issues in the Special Charges Code of Practice article.

There's several issues remaining.

I'll post one set of issues today. The others are dependent on the result of the completion of work elsewhere.

The article currently says this...

"If you would like to, it is possible to block calls from your mobile phone to premium rate 090, 091 and 098 numbers - please contact an agent if you would like to do this."

Please further clarify by adding...

This [will also] [will not] bar calls to premium 118 directory enquiry numbers.

This [will also] [will not] bar calls to premium 070 numbers.

The article currently says this...

"Please note that this bar will also bar calls to international numbers."

Please further clarify by adding...

This [will also] [will not] bar calls to Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

Message 272 of 1,091
by: endorphin
on: 02/07/2014 | 17:23 edited: 02/07/2014 | 17:25

@jamesd2010 wrote:

@figment_uk wrote:

@asciimotog wrote:

@figment_uk wrote:

The page runs some javascript that is hosted on dropbox in an iframe. It appears that the javascript is being blocked somehow, as the script runs fine locally on my PC

Interesting - thanks - could that be related to some of the internet firewall issues over the weekend?

is there any scope for requesting that giffgaff host the script instead of it being hosted by a third party (dropbox)?

No idea - the iframe was implemented in November 2012 by @jamesd2010 - maybe @will23 can shed some light on this.

The list of educators is hard-coded into the script, therefore has to be edited every time there is a change. I don't know enough about javascript to do it myself, but as all educators will be members of an educators group, I imagine it would be possible to dynamically pull the required details of all group members into an array instead of hard-coding them, which would keep the list up-to-date as educators arrive and leave. It should also be possible to display the 'last online' time for each educator in place of the hours, minutes and seconds since they were online.

The last online function was what was previously implemented - But it relied on trimming down an iframe to display that data. 

It looks like @jamesd2010 has (temporarily?) deleted his How to find an Educator iframe from here http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Advice/Need-to-Contact-an-Educator-Handy-Links/m-p/1199269

In which case what do we do with this KB article @will23  http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Community-information/How-do-I-find-an-online-Educator/ta-p/4024003 which references the aforementioned tip!?

We can either delete it or reword it somehow!

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 273 of 1,091
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 02/07/2014 | 17:27
Hi guys,

Sorry for not jumping in here earlier, it's on my to do list. At the moment the best bet seems to restructure the article with links to educators PMs. I know this isn't ideal, but it's a good hold over until we can get it sorted.

All the best,

Will
Former Community Manager 
Message 274 of 1,091
on: 02/07/2014 | 17:34
So it would be pot luck whether or not someone chose an educator who was online at that time!?
Message 275 of 1,091
by: asciimotog
on: 02/07/2014 | 17:40

@will23 

since you're here

Please can you or another staffer make the required edits to the 4g trial article as none of us have access to it.

I feel that it's very important this is done, as since giffgaff sent out lots of emails to newer users announing hte extension of the trial they are all asking about it in the help forum and it really silly that the associated kb article to which they should be referred is wrong.

Knowledge Base ~ Shortcodes ~ Community Guidelines

Ask the community ~ Ask an agent ~ Check agent messages ~ Educators 

Order a free sim with £5 free credit (£10 top up required)  PM me for sims by 1st class post and overseas

Message 276 of 1,091
by: asciimotog
on: 02/07/2014 | 17:42

@endorphin wrote:
So it would be pot luck whether or not someone chose an educator who was online at that time!?

That would be a real pity, as it would make contacting an educator and getting a responce even less reliable.

Folks would be likely to use the report function more in order to get hold of an active educator.

Knowledge Base ~ Shortcodes ~ Community Guidelines

Ask the community ~ Ask an agent ~ Check agent messages ~ Educators 

Order a free sim with £5 free credit (£10 top up required)  PM me for sims by 1st class post and overseas

Message 277 of 1,091
Highlighted
by: jamesd2010
on: 02/07/2014 | 23:59

I've added a table with links to contact an educator as a temporary measure. giffgaff do however, need to realise that they can't just forgot about the people that run the resources they require. It isn't even about time, I've asked for more access and a reliable platform to host it on, and it has always been a 'we'll get back to you'.

I've quite frankly had enough. I used to devote masses of time to these forums, voluntarily, but when staff message you expecting it to be done, that's pushing the line - With all the resources giffgaff now have, they need to buck up a little bit and experience the real World.

Message 278 of 1,091
on: 03/07/2014 | 11:06
Sorry to hear this @jamesd2010 as your contributions have been valuable IMO!

Perhaps @will23 might have a resolution?
Message 279 of 1,091
by: groovemaneuver
on: 03/07/2014 | 22:36

Well the real world also involves investment in bandwidth - rather than forcing people to curtail their 'unlimited' usage. Making 'unlimited' doublespeak (read 1984).
Making the rather common tethering option on phones, useless. So why would we pay for these phones, GiffGaff, including the ones YOU sell, if we can't use them to the (still very limited and locked-in) design specifications? No, GiffGaff are too cheap to invest in proper backhaul bandwidth (as are many companies, but that is still very unethical and backwards, regardless of who does it and their lame excuse for doing so).

The future is unlimited knowledge and education via unlimited internet. Or we can go back to begging for enough data to check our narcissism-encourager, sorry, 'Facebook' et al. That kind of NSA/CIA-related thing (google it, educate yourself about who profits from the tools you rely on and trust daily).

People used to pay 900% more than they had to for SMS text messages, remember? (<1p cost, minimum 10p charge-to-customer per txt, and this was in the late 1990s). Ignorance isn't even bliss, when you've not got money for important things, like tax for the NHS, or proper roads / transport etc. Why give it to an under-performing company? Why refuse to learn how to identify such a company?

Just because the mobile network tells you something, does not mean it's in your interest to follow it, then.

Going back to your original post, that would mean telling volunteers to do something, rather than being pleasantly surprised and happy when they do so (free labour @ £7.50 MINIMUM 'worth' per hour).

Too many fools in this country, and on this planet. But mostly in this country and its master, the USA. Not so much in other countries with a less-(insert your choice of corruption here)-infested system.

Now stop supporting them, when you are lucky enough to have them identified for you.

Respect for your decision, jamesd2010, and good luck.

Message 280 of 1,091