Community

Account setup does not support new top-level domain names

Started by: d_a_c_s
On: 08/12/2016 | 14:44
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: d_a_c_s
on: 08/12/2016 | 14:44

I have just joined giffgaff but had problems setting up my account as the site would not accept my email addresses.  I have two domain naimes of the form xxxx.org.uk and xxxx.info but neither was recognised by giffgaff.  It suggested  that they should be xxxx.org and xxx.it respectively.  I eventually register using a Gmail address.

Please update the site to support all modern top-level domains.

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: blackfive460
on: 09/12/2016 | 09:02

I've just been as far as I can through the sign up process (without actually ordering a SIM) using a .org.uk domain name and gone fully through getting a Community account with the same domain and while the process pops up an alternative domain as a suggestion, I ignored it and was able to complete that part of the sign up process.

It looks to me as though this is one of those 'features' that you often get with search boxes where they try to be helpful (and usually fail) by suggesting alternatives on the assumption that you may have made a mistake.

Message 6 of 7
by: giffer23
on: 08/12/2016 | 14:55
Because gmail address is the best. Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 7
by: islasdad
on: 08/12/2016 | 20:17

Hi @d_a_c_s

I must say, I didn't know there was any problem with domains being recognised at all...

If you ever want to use an android device you have to get a Gmail account to access the app market (Play or whatever its called) anyway.

Sure, if you use apple or windows phones thats a bit different, so I do see your point in the bigger picture.

lets all be nice eh?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 7
by: harrrrrry
on: 08/12/2016 | 21:15

This must be something new. I have my own domain name with an address ending .org.uk and had no problem entering it when I joined, but that was about 5 years ago.

These days, its pretty pointless trying to guess whether a domain is valid because a valid name can end .london or .theatre or pretty much anything else.

But .org.uk has been a valid domain name for probably more than 20 years. No competent programmer would reject .org.uk as a domain.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 7
by: islasdad
on: 08/12/2016 | 23:48

harrrrrry wrote:

No competent programmer would reject .org.uk as a domain.

Probably just down to #babysfirstwebsite thenSmiley LOL

lets all be nice eh?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
by: blackfive460
on: 09/12/2016 | 09:02

I've just been as far as I can through the sign up process (without actually ordering a SIM) using a .org.uk domain name and gone fully through getting a Community account with the same domain and while the process pops up an alternative domain as a suggestion, I ignored it and was able to complete that part of the sign up process.

It looks to me as though this is one of those 'features' that you often get with search boxes where they try to be helpful (and usually fail) by suggesting alternatives on the assumption that you may have made a mistake.

Message 6 of 7
by: d_a_c_s
on: 09/12/2016 | 10:21

Balckfive could be right.  I had problems finding a user name that had not been taken and found the various error messages rather confusing.  I managed to change to my preferred email address once I was in by updating my account details.

Message 7 of 7