Knowledge Base
Community

Adding/Withdrawing Credit: PayPal vs Bank Transfer

Started by: k89bpa
On: 24/11/2018 | 17:19
Replies: 11

by: k89bpa
on: 24/11/2018 | 17:19

See this thread: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/PayPal-Attempting-to-set-up-payment-authorization/m-p...

Now enough with the PayPal rubbish, you seriously need to implement bank transfer as a payment method. 

I'm planning to use payback to actually use your service seeing as you are giving me so much money but the issue highlighted in that thread is seriously making me think that I should just take the second SIM with someone else and send them the money instead. 

I've had service with Tesco, Three and Vodafone over the past three or four years and I've never had an issue with any of them because of the direct bank funding. Tesco was direct debit, Three and Vodafone were/are standing order. 

Even when I've left them and had a credit balance I've had no issues recovering the funds, it's literally been in my account with a few hours or at the most a few days. No fuss. No faff. No hassles at all. 

This association with PayPal is gonna harm you because they are genuinely horrendous. 

If you paid payback directly to bank accounts and accepted incoming bank transfers, all that hassle could be totally avoided. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
For the meaning behind the codes in my posts search the code GGK-0228-2309
Message 1 of 12
by: giffgaff20147
on: 24/11/2018 | 18:43

@k89bpa

If you started taking payment by direct debit that would create a contract 

as a payg network you make the desition what you buy or even not buy so hence no direct debit no contract 

payg networks do not refund on credit even some on contracts don’t 

paypal provides a method so you can purchase from giffgaff yet get payback put into it , no fuss method using email address plus protect from fraud 

Transfering to banks need a lot of work with account details different reference numbers for each member just can’t see that happening. ,

Credit cannot be transfered between accounts 

Message 2 of 12
by: persco
on: 24/11/2018 | 18:55

Never had an issue with PayPal. Yes sometimes they hold funds on payback but I don’t mind. 

I have PayPal credit and Access card and have had no issues using that side of their service. Haven’t got anything to complain about them so far really. Maybe in future but I haven’t. Bet I have jinxed it now!

Am sure giffgaff has weighted the options over the years working with giffgaff if there was a better, simpler ‘other means’. I would think the bank charges for this service isn’t just worth it and knowing this only happens twice a year, banks won’t be running welcoming giffgaff for a transaction just twice a year.  

Just take payback as cash into your bank and work it like you do with the other networks. I don’t see much difference there. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 12
on: 24/11/2018 | 19:39

@giffgaff20147 did you even see the issues I'm having thanks to Paypal?

@giffgaff20147 wrote:

paypal provides a method so you can purchase from giffgaff yet get payback put into it , no fuss method using email address plus protect from fraud 

I'm sorry but that bit of your post would suggest that you either didn't or that you simply decided to ignore it. 

Message 4 of 12
on: 24/11/2018 | 19:54

@persco wrote:

Just take payback as cash into your bank and work it like you do with the other networks. I don’t see much difference there. 

At this point in time I'll be taking payback and giving it to another mobile company if I can't get this PayPal issue sorted out, (presuming there are no issues receiving money from giffgaff via PayPal). 

I've spent 3 days trying to get PayPal to work, which has involved nine hours worth of phone calls, I could just phone a contract provider and be up and running in minutes. 

A PayPal manager after making changes to my account said that if I still can't get it to work that I should use a different company, (honestly, they actually said that), I don't wanna, but if this stupid PayPal mess doesn't get sorted soon then it's something that I will consider. I'll have to. 

I'm not handing over my card details I'm afraid, there have been too many people complaining about unauthorized payments being taken and having experienced giffgaff agent support that's a fight I can't be bothered having if the same thing happens to me should I add my card details. 

I'm also really concerned about the scam currently happening where people are being offered free credit. I haven't checked but I'm wondering how the scammers are getting those numbers, (maybe it's not only affecting giffgaff I don't know). 

Message 5 of 12
on: 24/11/2018 | 21:37 edited: 24/11/2018 | 21:42

So, I might be being unfair to PayPal on this seeing how they blame giffgaff, (I'm guessing giffgaff will blame PayPal).

My point still stands...

This would not happen if I could set up a bank transfer/standing order to fund the account.

Because of my health I'm not gonna be able to guarantee buying vouchers and so to be able to use giffgaff I need an easy and reliable method of making payments.

Yesterday when I went to pick up the phone for my contract upgrade, (I thought I was healthy enough to do so), I had to get a taxi there and back, door to door essentially, because of my legs and cardiovascular system.

I'll do that once per two years for a free flagship phone but I'm not doing it once a month for a voucher.

I can't be the only one who has great difficulty getting out and about for vouchers, (though admittedly I'm probably one of a handful who hates handing over card details), so introducing some kind of bank transfer functionality, especially direct payments and/or standing order so the customer remains in charge, will help all of them and boost the attractiveness of this network.

And you really do need to sort out some setting whereby people can only use their inclusive bundle allowances and block all non inclusive usage.

If you do that, I could just have taken the payback as credit, but I'm not gonna risk an update happening and that swallowing oodles of money, or someone getting their hands on my phone and calling Kenya from the credit or something else which strips all the money away.

It's kinda absurd that I can block non inclusive usage on Vodafone, (either in the control panel in the app and website or by seeingsa £0 spending cap), on a contract but nobody on PAYG can do the same and so many will inevitably run into problems. 

Imagine if that was set by default on new accounts, no more penny glitch, no more people wondering why their credit is disappearing. That would solve so many issues. 

It's all about making it as easy as possible for the customer to spend money with you.

Hell, with Vodafone, I can pay by so many methods and if I remember correctly Three were exactly the same.

One more thing too, if no other PAYG provider offers it, guess what, you've got another unique selling point.

Message 6 of 12
by: 42gsm
on: 25/11/2018 | 15:46

Never had any issues with paypal either, quick and easy

Message 7 of 12
by: kath72
on: 25/11/2018 | 19:35
My main issue with PayPal is that if you don’t store a card with them you can’t use it for gg top ups. The reason for this is that rather than make one off purchases gg tries to set up a payment mandate.

I do not wish to give PayPal my card details, (they have a bank account attached to the account) do PayPal is unusable for me with giffgaff
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
by: inspiron42
on: 26/11/2018 | 08:24
What to PayPal actually do? They act as a middle man between your bank account and credit cards, and the places you purchase from. In other words, there is no point in using them.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 12
by: harrrrrry
on: 26/11/2018 | 10:41

@inspiron42

Paypal does several things extra. Two of the most important are:

• if you buy items from 100 online companies and make card payments to those companies direct, 100 different companies have your bank details and if any of those companies are fraudulent, they could possibly disclose them to criminals. But you can pay 100 different companies by paypal and none of those companies will ever see your bank or card details
  • dishonest companies are unlikely to use paypal for payments. They know if something goes wrong, such as your goods not arriving, arriving damaged or being unfit for their purpose, paypal will reverse the payment. Your bank might do the same, but it's not a simple online request. The bank has no legal requirement to refund for you unless the cost exceeds £100 and is paid by a credit card.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 10 of 12