Community

Adult content - what does Giffgaff do with the passport / licence information

Started by: solvbb
On: 04/01/2019 | 16:22
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: solvbb
on: 04/01/2019 | 16:22

New member, just signed up today and going through my profile set up and I see the section for the adult content block (which is apparently a very broad block)

So OFCOM set some guidelines and Giffgaff have chosen to require driving licence or passport number as their method of meeting the OFCOM requirement.

I have seen one post where it is mentioned that Giffgaff delete the data once it has been used. https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/How-does-GiffGaff-use-your-driver-s-license-number-in-r...

.but, this isn't from Giffgaff. 

Could someone from Giffgaff confirm that the data is deleted once used (or even that it is retained if that is the case). The process of adding the passport/licence number simply wants you to accept that data will be handled in accordance with the Giffgaff (pretty opaque) data / privacy policy.

A nice transparent statement would eliminate peoples nervousness about providing such important (i.e useful for identity theft) personal data

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
on: 06/01/2019 | 18:02

With no response from a giffgaff staff member in the community I asked the question direct to an agent earlier today. This is the response I received:

Once you enable the adult content service with your passport or drivers license, the information is then wiped from the system. We do not store this information, each time you enable the service you will need to re-enter the information.

Good to have this confirmed, posting for others who may have similar concerns

Message 6 of 7
by: svirdi7
on: 04/01/2019 | 17:07
I also agree we need this confirmed
Message 2 of 7
by: tazzy19
on: 04/01/2019 | 18:37 edited: 04/01/2019 | 18:40

@solvbb

It appears that once used the information is no longer retained by giffgaff's systems, at least it was the case 12 months ago

I had adult content enabled, turned it off, and 48 hrs later tried to re-enable it, I had to enter my driver number  once again.

As regards the information they can access with your driver number, not a lot, without another step/authorisation code from the dvla + driver, even insurance companies need that extra step to access your driving history/convictions/ vehicle classes

In the case of the driver number, everything giffgaff require is in the number, your DOB is part of your driver number

xxxxx/ ymmddy /xxxxx / xx , they have no need for anything further,

Click to reveal
(anecdotally one post a month or two back stated they'd removed the bar with someone else's DL number)

I cannot confirm if the same is true of passport details, but I'd imagine the same information is also in the passport in a similar format

Message 3 of 7
on: 05/01/2019 | 14:20
Thanks for the community responses.

I don't think that having to resubmit information to re-enable access says anything about what happens to the data. It's quite possible for the data to be stored, but if the authorisation routine only has one route to verify (look at details, compare against some other DVLA / Passport agency listing), rather than two routes (check internal database first, if empty compare against DVLA / Passport agency listing) then we cannot conclude with any certainty what is actually being done with the data.

I tend to take the view about what will happen WHEN a database is compromised, rather than IF it will be compromised, not providing data is the best data protection to have.

It seems a really simple question, which it would be really helpful to get an official reply to.

Thanks Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7
by: otbc11
on: 06/01/2019 | 10:30
Once they check your date of birth and eligibility I would imagine that's the end of it and your information is consequently deleted.
Message 5 of 7
on: 06/01/2019 | 18:02

With no response from a giffgaff staff member in the community I asked the question direct to an agent earlier today. This is the response I received:

Once you enable the adult content service with your passport or drivers license, the information is then wiped from the system. We do not store this information, each time you enable the service you will need to re-enter the information.

Good to have this confirmed, posting for others who may have similar concerns

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
by: rduggan
on: 06/01/2019 | 18:14
Thank you for posting your reply from giffgaff. this is a question I didn't even know I wanted the answer for! Such sensitive information and many of us don't question what happens to it!
Message 7 of 7