Knowledge Base
Community

Always On - Coming changes + Poor Service EDIT Please read full thread before commenting.

Started by: robiocycle
On: 21/06/2018 | 13:33
Replies: 36

by: robiocycle
on: 21/06/2018 | 13:33 edited: 25/06/2018 | 20:44

ps. The Knowledge Bank quotes the level of throttling for some users at 100kb for a period of 30 minutes, which is more or less a stop to whatever they are trying to do in real terms, though the standard level of throttling is about 395kb which is still not acceptable unless you provide a framework where the excessivness of usage justifies this and can be easily verified by usage statistics. Possibly four or five levels of throttling that are distinct and provably connected to speed of data usage would work better. Capping people to 400kb untill the end of the month/Goodybag because they eventually reached 9 or even 20gb is unfair because other users will find ways of circumventing this by buying more credit or using their data much faster.

The KB also mentiond prioritising data though this is a function already available in most devices/browsers and not a valid excuse for poor service.

Message 1 of 37
by: johna002
on: 21/06/2018 | 13:39

Hi there @robiocycle - i know this does not help you now but giff gaff are changing the way they do the £20 and introducing a new one from the 11th July, see below.......

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Say-hello-to-more-data-on-our-5-amp-7-50-goodybags-a...

"PLEASE REMEMBER TO AWARD KUDOS AND A BEST ANSWER TO ANYONE WHO HAS HELPED YOU"
Get a free giffgaff Sim

CLICK ON THE BANNER ABOVE FOR YOUR FREE SIM CARD
Message 2 of 37
by: mcilwraith
on: 21/06/2018 | 13:43

not everyone feels the same way @robiocycle lots use the always on after midnight when the speeds go back up.perhaps after the 11th july when the £20 goodybag goes up to 20gb it will suit you better

always on goes up to £25 with 20gb and the slow speed after

i do agree though the throttled speed is not a lot

Message 3 of 37
on: 21/06/2018 | 13:45
Hi Johna002
I am aware of the changes they are making as I got their email marketing on this but I still think the arrangement will only benefit those who totally overuse the network 24/7, while the rest of us will be punished if want to watch a video occassionally and go over hamfisted quoters. Thanks for your thoughts , I do value other members help.
Best, Rob
Message 4 of 37
on: 23/06/2018 | 10:24

Still Not Solved.

Thanks for your input folks. Any other commentors please read the last bit I added to my original post.

x

HAPPY SUMMER

GiggGaff please stop throttling people who dont use the network at high speed constantly, and if you do at least do it so that the phone can still be usuable to read emails and find places on maps for pittys sake. Still not acceptable.

Message 5 of 37
by: sheppola
on: 23/06/2018 | 10:30

@robiocycle

Just as an FYI.

You can make your data go further if you use Opera Browsers instead of apps.They use a special form of compression.I know they can reduce some websites by up to 90% but have never done a Video comparison as videos are usually compressed form of data.

HTH Smiley Happy

If this post helped please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 6 of 37
by: giffgaff20147
on: 23/06/2018 | 10:40

@robiocycle

Hello the speed quoted is the max you could get it does not mean you will get it . 

It depends on coverage in your area 

we use it and it works fine , 

because of the speed changes it helps if you restart phone to kick the new speed in 

the goodybag is clear it tells you after you used 9gb the speed will be reduced from 8am to midnight  to 384kbps it will play videos at slower speed but not hd ones we find 

at least next month you get 20 gb at full speed but that will cost £25 

Message 7 of 37
on: 25/06/2018 | 08:21
Thought you were a staff member from the name, with great respect you do skim over but partly acknowledge my point that in this goodybag you are paying for 'potential' high speeds, Im not really disputing that but I think it's unfair that it is supposed you will be maxing out the network, watching high def video etc constantly untill your 9gb approximately is used, andso you must be punished to barely half a meg speed, which makes the phone pretty unusable for many tasks. Especially, as you point out, if you live in or are in an area with rubbish connectivety. It simply isnt worth a premium unless you have money to throw at it. The commentor above made a great point about trying to compress data with different browsers etc but hiw are we to push for fairer treatment if we juat seek cudos points from giffgaff. I thank you all so much for keepin this thread going. Where do I complain? I mean no disrespect to anyone here. I just think we being taken for a ride, also I mention that the usage summary info could be better. Steps could be taken to throttle less bullish users less if they truly dont tax the network as much as others. Another competitor will beat this deal hands down if points like this arent raised.
Message 8 of 37
on: 25/06/2018 | 08:37

The Traffic Flow policy is here

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffgaffer-articles/Traffic-Flow-Policy/ta-p/12999304...

It needs to be changed in order to retain and protect users who dont overuse the network during day. Some people cant use the unthrottled speed at night after 1200 because they have commitments during the day, the level of throttling should be less indiscrimate and not punish those who are not consuming vast amounts of data per day. Love R

Message 9 of 37
by: andyxhill
on: 25/06/2018 | 08:41

I think you make a valid point. Hopefully the changes will make things a bit better

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 37