consultant
Best Answer

Android Internet APN setup app

[ Edited ]

Telefonica have requested Google remove the app from the store, I don't have time to recompile it with giffgaff trademarks removed and you wouldn't be able to find it in the store if I did, so updated to version 0. Can't post it anywhere else either, for the same trademark reasons.

Be nice if someone in gg management would sort out the infringement claim lodged with Google, don't want a record building up.

Ask harry.robinson at telefonica.com (email filter bypass) for details if you're interested.

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer
Accepted by topic author paul_shirley
‎21-08-2015 01:01
graduate

Re: Android APN setup app [updated to v1.1]

• You'll need to plug in your USB.
• Now when prompted, pull the top-bar down and select USB Connected.
• Then when it loads, hit the Turn On USB button.
• Once it's done you'll either get a window open on your computer of the drive (something like D:\). If not, go to My Computer and do it manually.
• Copy the file from your PC to that drive (your phone).
• On your phone, hit the Turn Off USB and once it's back to asking if you want to Turn On USB, unplug your phone.
• Use a file manager like OI File Manager, ASTRO File Manager or Linda File Manager. Then direct yourself to the root of your SD Card.
• Now select the .apk. When you go to install you may get a popup exclaiming that for security reasons the app can't be installed. Just click the OK (or whatever) button and then make sure Apps from Unknown Sources is ticked. Then try again.
• Then install the app properly. Once it's done, open it!
• Finally, run the app by pressing the button (after reading it of course) and then choosing to either install the APN or delete old APNs and install this APN.
• You should be all giffgaffed with the app on your phone incase something goes wrong! Smiley Happy
My name is Dean Craig, not Billy Craig.
Black HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1/Google phone) - Android 2.3 ("COS" rom) - Owned since May '09
Click here to view my Christmas giffgaff packet designs!

View Best Answer in original post

All Replies
steward

Re: Android APN setup app

[ Edited ]

Worked fine for me (2.1 Galaxy Portal). I appreciated the "this app does one thing, press this button to do it" approach; no need for it to be more complicated than that.

Maybe link to the APN settings afterwards so people can see what it's done?

Edit: Oh, maybe also mention that the app doesn't do anything you can't do manually, but it provides a one-click service to simplify the process? Just thinking out loud here.

trainee

Amazing! This is an app that GiffGaff should support officially Smiley Very Happy
newcomer

Excellent app! This really helped me fix my APN troubles.

consultant

Updated to version 1.1

• the app now installes seperate data and MMS APN's since San Francisco owners seem to need this.
  • wording changes

If San Francisco owners could try this and confirm whether it works or not it would be useful.

Nice one Paul, I must try this when I set up my Desire again.

Cheers

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
graduate

[ Edited ]

Going to delete my current APN settings and try this out Smiley Happy

I'll edit this post when I'm done.

Had a go. I like it! Works very well and is nice visually. I love the 'toast' notifcation at the end saying 'giffgaffed'! That's brilliant. I remember when I was coding how much creating a 'toast' made me smile like it was an achievement...

Anyways, good job on the .apk, now we need to get someone to push this into the Market!

Black HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1/Google phone) - Android 2.3 ("COS" rom) - Owned since May '09

Hmmm... Now bear in mind I am new to all things Android, but how would you install this with no internet to download it.

In other words if say I had just reloaded my phone, how do I then use this?

I downloaded it to my computer to have a look, but its not the normal .apk file I'm use to.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Best Answer
Accepted by topic author paul_shirley
‎21-08-2015 01:01
graduate

• You'll need to plug in your USB.
• Now when prompted, pull the top-bar down and select USB Connected.
• Then when it loads, hit the Turn On USB button.
• Once it's done you'll either get a window open on your computer of the drive (something like D:\). If not, go to My Computer and do it manually.
• Copy the file from your PC to that drive (your phone).
• On your phone, hit the Turn Off USB and once it's back to asking if you want to Turn On USB, unplug your phone.
• Use a file manager like OI File Manager, ASTRO File Manager or Linda File Manager. Then direct yourself to the root of your SD Card.
• Now select the .apk. When you go to install you may get a popup exclaiming that for security reasons the app can't be installed. Just click the OK (or whatever) button and then make sure Apps from Unknown Sources is ticked. Then try again.
• Then install the app properly. Once it's done, open it!
• Finally, run the app by pressing the button (after reading it of course) and then choosing to either install the APN or delete old APNs and install this APN.
• You should be all giffgaffed with the app on your phone incase something goes wrong! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

Ok Dean I'm with you till the part you select the .apk

When I open the folder "giffgaffapn.1.0" on my phone, all I see is 3 files and two folders, I cant see any .apk

If I download it via my phone its fine.

Yet if I download it via my computer the file shows as a zip file lol

Smiley Sad Sorry to be so thick.

Edit.......

Ok once I transfer the .zip file from my computer to my phone, I just need to change the .zip to .apk and all is fine.

Still can't work out why it downloads to my computer as a .zip tho.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim