Knowledge Base
Community

Any news from lithium on phone compatability

Started by: kathleen414
On: 05/06/2018 | 16:03
Replies: 29
Reply

by: williamwalker
on: 14/07/2018 | 08:22

Hi @kathleen414

Have you had any info or update of Giffgaff.

It's amazing it's been a month and a week since you started this thread this is total ignorance they can't even say no we haven't got an update.

The thread started by a Giffgaff educator what makes you feel like a member should really apply here because customers wouldn't get treated like this.

 

Message 21 of 30
by: mcilwraith
on: 14/07/2018 | 18:25

Well my lg4 has gone 

Now got a Samsung s9 wishing I had bought the lg7

Anyhow still can't add photos from the app

 

Message 22 of 30
by: richardski
on: 15/07/2018 | 09:46
Lithium, as a technical platform is a failure when it comes to delivering services to many mobile platforms. It should spend more of its extensive profits on providing a working platform.
giffgaff would save a lot of costs and have proper control over its crucial customer communication platform if it moved to an Open Source solution. Throwing revenue away to Lithium is not a good business practice.

Richard


Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 23 of 30
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 16/07/2018 | 12:18

mcilwraith wrote:

Well my lg4 has gone 

Now got a Samsung s9 wishing I had bought the lg7

Anyhow still can't add photos from the app

 

@mcilwraith that proves it 

 

Nothing to do with phones up to a certain point

And giffgaff themselves and the platform they use in lithium

 

Something needs to be done seems like giffgaff are not listening to the members that generate the money profit and website hits for them

 

Even worse when you think that giffgaff is online based only.  If members cant post online to help

Then how will members get the help they need as there is number to call to get help.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 24 of 30
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 17/07/2018 | 10:03

Hi all,

 

Lithium have not made any progress on restoring functionality for older devices, nor do we now expect them to do so - they've made a clear decision on their side (even if it's not been communicated to us).

 

We are, however, looking at a solution of our own. I cannot comment on the specifics of that just yet, but we'll share it as soon as we can.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 25 of 30
by: williamwalker
on: 17/07/2018 | 12:14

Hi @alex_w

Why can't we have a site like o2 site fast snappy and no problems are we valued less than o2 customers.

The site is the only way members can deal with problems o2 has chat and customer services by phone.

I've honestly tried and I can't find a slower site.

Message 26 of 30
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 19/07/2018 | 15:19

alex_w wrote:

Hi all,

 

Lithium have not made any progress on restoring functionality for older devices, nor do we now expect them to do so - they've made a clear decision on their side (even if it's not been communicated to us).

 

We are, however, looking at a solution of our own. I cannot comment on the specifics of that just yet, but we'll share it as soon as we can.

Sorry to hear this @alex_w and for 

the members affected by this pull out by lithium ☹

I hope giffgaff can come up with a fix asap 

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 27 of 30
by: ip633
on: 20/07/2018 | 12:38

alex_w wrote:

Hi all,

 

Lithium have not made any progress on restoring functionality for older devices, nor do we now expect them to do so - they've made a clear decision on their side (even if it's not been communicated to us).

 

We are, however, looking at a solution of our own. I cannot comment on the specifics of that just yet, but we'll share it as soon as we can.

No offence Alex, but you seem to be in denial about the extent of these problems. It’s not just older devices that aren’t necessarily compatible with the new platform, and even some of the latest flagship models are experiencing similar issues (as is evidenced in this very thread).

 

The platform is almost two years old, how much longer can this situation be allowed to go on for?

 

Sometimes in life it’s better to cut your losses, and if Lithium aren’t delivering the levels of service that’s required, then maybe it’s time to review that contract. 

Message 28 of 30
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 20/07/2018 | 14:22 edited: 20/07/2018 | 14:23

ip633 wrote:

alex_w wrote:

Hi all,

 

Lithium have not made any progress on restoring functionality for older devices, nor do we now expect them to do so - they've made a clear decision on their side (even if it's not been communicated to us).

 

We are, however, looking at a solution of our own. I cannot comment on the specifics of that just yet, but we'll share it as soon as we can.

No offence Alex, but you seem to be in denial about the extent of these problems. It’s not just older devices that aren’t necessarily compatible with the new platform, and even some of the latest flagship models are experiencing similar issues (as is evidenced in this very thread).

@ip633 Let's be careful here to not conflate two separate issues as being the same thing.

 

Issue 1: Lithium is no longer (fully) compatible with older mobile devices. That means for Apple devices, any device running iOS 9 or older is going to encounter problems. For Android based devices, it's a lot more difficult to define; compatibility very much depends on the individual device, the implementation of Android by the manufacturer, and the choice of browser by the member. In general, any device running Nougat or newer should be fully compatible when visiting the community via Chrome browser. Devices running Marshmallow will be hit and miss, but are more likely to be OK when using Chrome. KitKat and Lollipop is going to be even more hit and miss. 

 

Issue 2: Regardless of device, when visiting the community via the App there are some limitations. The in-app browser is not as capable as a standard browser. We're aware of this, and we have plans (for the new App that's in development) to ensure this issue is ironed out.

 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are working on plans to resolve the first issue ourselves. It's not something I can discuss in detail at this point, but I can assure you that we are taking this very, very seriously.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 29 of 30
Highlighted
by: ip633
on: 20/07/2018 | 17:12

alex_w wrote:

@ip633 Let's be careful here to not conflate two separate issues as being the same thing.

 

Issue 1: Lithium is no longer (fully) compatible with older mobile devices. That means for Apple devices, any device running iOS 9 or older is going to encounter problems. For Android based devices, it's a lot more difficult to define; compatibility very much depends on the individual device, the implementation of Android by the manufacturer, and the choice of browser by the member. In general, any device running Nougat or newer should be fully compatible when visiting the community via Chrome browser. Devices running Marshmallow will be hit and miss, but are more likely to be OK when using Chrome. KitKat and Lollipop is going to be even more hit and miss. 

 

Issue 2: Regardless of device, when visiting the community via the App there are some limitations. The in-app browser is not as capable as a standard browser. We're aware of this, and we have plans (for the new App that's in development) to ensure this issue is ironed out.

 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are working on plans to resolve the first issue ourselves. It's not something I can discuss in detail at this point, but I can assure you that we are taking this very, very seriously.

Both of my Apple devices are running the latest version of iOS, and I'm still encountering problems, so the issues seem to run deeper than compatibility with operating systems. Don't get me wrong, I can do most things that I want to do on my iPad, but I find that the most trouble-free experience is on a desktop PC.

 

You have to question whether this "upgrade" has been worth the amount of development time that's been given to it.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 30 of 30