Knowledge Base
Community

“Balance” and “Goodybag” need to be clearly defined. Get rid of “balance” please

Started by: andyfromthebrac
On: 02/12/2018 | 19:54
Replies: 11

Go to best answer
by: andyfromthebrac
on: 02/12/2018 | 19:54
“Balance” and “Goodybag” need to be clearly defined. Get rid of “balance” please. So many people ask me why they are notified of “low/no balance” which then suggest they need to top up. That’s so last decade. Please clear up what’s needed here. Goodybags is a nonsensical name but it’s what most people need. There really needs to be a revamping of this side of things it’s confusing and really letting giffgaff down
Message 1 of 12
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: harrrrrry
on: 03/12/2018 | 09:18

@persco

Can’t think of anything else to replace ‘balance’

"Credit outside your goodybag" is a more understandable title and is the phrase that I've needed to use in numerous help posts to explain the sort of credit they need for non-goodybag services.

When new members buy a £x goodybag and then the next day see "balance £0" they get understandably worried. They are less likely to get worried if they see "Credit outside your goodybag; £0" alongside the goodybag contents.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 12
by: notherefornothing
on: 02/12/2018 | 21:48
I buy top up vouchers and convert some of the amount as goody bags and leave some as credit.

Buying vouchers and converting them to credit or goody bags suits me. It keeps me in control of my finances in a way that I like.

I change the amount of the goody bag that I use depending upon my anticipated usage for next month.

My "balance" is the unused credit. Are you saying that users like me are to lose our remaining credit? Or should users like me leave Giffgaff?

However, I am happy to think that I may have the wrong end of the stick from your post and we need to change the wording or jargon to a fresher, more modern terminology, as long as any change is an accessible improvement on the current description!
Message 2 of 12
by: rickvigorous
on: 02/12/2018 | 22:21
@notherefornothing I do exactly the same! I do not think we can get rid of the word "balance", but the word goodybag might be up for renewal... If we just call it "plan" than most people will get it, but then giffgaff loses it unique name...
Message 3 of 12
by: rqt
on: 02/12/2018 | 23:22

"Balance" is required for international calls or texts

"Balance" is required for any roaming usage outside the EU/EEA

"Balance" is required for EU roaming if you'e doing it for more than 60 days in a 4 month period (& possibly for all EU roaming in the near future.

To suggest that people do not want or need to do these things is "so last decade".....................................

Message 4 of 12
by: spacefrog
on: 03/12/2018 | 07:57

The word balance is used for both goodybags and airtime credit, so it cannot be got rid of, i think you are talking about Airtime credit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic src="https://giffgaff.com/styleguide/images/banner/02b_550x80.p
Message 5 of 12
by: persco
on: 03/12/2018 | 08:01

Can’t think of anything else to replace ‘balance’ in the context of a goodybag or airtime credit that would suit it properly really.

Better be left as it is in my opinion and more education of the differences in the texts and emails that goes out when one tops up. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 12
by: harrrrrry
on: 03/12/2018 | 09:18

@persco

Can’t think of anything else to replace ‘balance’

"Credit outside your goodybag" is a more understandable title and is the phrase that I've needed to use in numerous help posts to explain the sort of credit they need for non-goodybag services.

When new members buy a £x goodybag and then the next day see "balance £0" they get understandably worried. They are less likely to get worried if they see "Credit outside your goodybag; £0" alongside the goodybag contents.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 12
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 03/12/2018 | 10:09

@harrrrrry u make a very good point

Personally i think goodybag could be changed to plan or allowance and balance be changed to credit outside of goodybag or allowance.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 12
by: giffgaff20147
on: 03/12/2018 | 16:23

@andyfromthebrac

Hello how can you get without balance if you need to call or text something not included in your goodybag you need balance /credit 

or calling or texting or using data if you don’t use goodybag

or using phone in rest of world 

if members get told they dont don’t have enough credit it means it’s not included in their goodybag 

Message 9 of 12
by: andyfromthebrac
on: 03/12/2018 | 17:23
You miss my point. I understand why it’s there but it’s something which rarely happens. Using your phone whilst overseas or calling premium numbers. It’s the exception rather than the rule and as a result it needs to be replaced with a more meaningful term
Message 10 of 12