Knowledge Base
Community

Best Answers - Change the system!

Started by: smithster225225
On: 08/08/2018 | 12:39
Replies: 27

by: smithster225225
on: 08/08/2018 | 12:39

I just wanted to run something by you guys.

It's about best answers.

As many or all of you know, if you help a member in the help and support forum, you can be awarded best answer by the person who asked the question.

How would you guys feel if this changed and best answers were instead set by best answer setters only?

As someone who helps out a lot in the help and support forum, I find it frustrating when certain members who spend almost ALL day sitting writing very basic, often rude answers, are getting best answer, while other people are sitting constructing informative helpful answers which takes more time, they miss out on the best answer because the person who writes a very basic answer gets in first!

I think best answers should go to 'The Best Answer'. It speaks for itself.

If a member asks for help and then gets a quick-fire reply and selects it as best answer, it gets set as best answer, without any screening.

I think this should chage.

Best answers should go into a queueing system to be approved by best answer setters and they can either approve the best answer OR override it and choose the ACTUAL best answer!

This would certainly encourage members to put more time and thought into their answers and make it a much more fairer system.

I know it might sound a little controversial but I think people getting best answer for ONE sentence is controversial!

Anyone with me on this????

Thanks for your time guys Smiley Tongue

Don't forget to AWARD BEST ANSWER Or give Kudos to members that helped!
Message 1 of 28
by: kate1028
on: 08/08/2018 | 12:56

I'd agree with you @smithster225225, and your suggestions.   You will certainly get my support !

Message 2 of 28
on: 08/08/2018 | 12:57
@kate1028

Thanks kate Smiley Happy

Tbh, i submitted an idea for it a week ago, but it hasnt been approved yet Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 28
by: the_islander
on: 08/08/2018 | 12:58
There certainly needs to be more BAs set, and more appropriate ones at that.

Do we actually know how many BA setters there are and if they are active?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 28
on: 08/08/2018 | 12:59
@the_islander

There are a couple of different ones, not sure how many though.

Smiley Tongue
Message 5 of 28
by: persco
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:03

I think current system is ok albeit not many BAs are set these days but that’s another debate. 

I get what you are saying so the current simplest solution in my opinion is that we report that post for the Ed’s to look into it. Any post set as best answer by op or even the Ed’s or BA setters you feel didn’t answer the question is reported so Ed’s can have a look. So far, there has been a few set by BA setters and Ed’s that I have questioned and have had answers as to why. I have agreed with some and haven’t in others but all in all I think these are few. 

Saying that though, this can be subjective when it comes to OP setting a best as they only knew what answered their question best. But if far from best answer then I believe we can report for Ed’s to look at. At the end of the day that is what is going to show up first if members are looking for help so we have to help shape that. 

Already there are a lot of posts without BA so adding BA queuing system to it will just make it worse in my opinion. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 28
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:06
@persco

Reporting BA is more time consuming!
Message 7 of 28
by: persco
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:09

@smithster225225 wrote:

@persco

Reporting BA is more time consuming!

How though, relative to a queuing system? @smithster225225 Think about the queuing system in place for labs and you have even mentioned it above. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 28
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:13
@persco

Well i kinda see your point but I still feel strongly about it lol Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 28
by: rqt
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:17 edited: 08/08/2018 | 13:19

The best answer is the one that most quickly helped the OP to solve their problem - in the opinion of the OP.

If the OP does not express an opinion for whatever reason then it is OK for Best Answer Setters to choose a best answer.

Whether you think your answer was more complete/more friendly/better is irrelevant. The OP might have been put off by additional un-necessary information that you think made your post "more complete".

Message 10 of 28