Knowledge Base
Community

Buying a phone from giffgaff: can the experience be improved upon?

Started by: essie112mm
On: 14/02/2018 | 16:18
Replies: 4

by: essie112mm
on: 14/02/2018 | 16:18

As per thread question - yes, I believe that it can be improved upon quite a lot. (Note, however, this is not a whinge about UK Mail. My experience with the company goes beyond giffgaff and I have no reason to think it is any better or worse than couriers such as DPD or Hermes.)

Here are my thoughts and suggestions :

• As soon as someone makes the decision to buy a phone and it is reserved for 30mins there should be information as to delivery days. Currently this comes right at the end of the purchase flow, once the phone has been bought, with the news that postage is free. 

• Delivery options are too few. Why does giffgaff not offer a Click+Collect service, particularly as it doesn't have a weekend delivery service? Many people work Monday to Friday and would welcome either the opportunity to choose a Saturday delivery or collect their order from a local collection point. Not everyone has someone who can be at home or a reliable neighbour to sign for the delivery. Currently UK Mail is contracted to deliver the phones and doesn't appear to have a Click+Collect service, but there are other courier companies such as DPD which do provide it. And even if giffgaff is unwilling to switch to another company I see that UK Mail does offer a time-sensitive delivery option and a Saturday delivery option to business customers. Why are we not given the opportunity to avail ourselves of these? I am certain that there would be people who would happily choose to pay a premium to select an early morning / Saturday. (I am not suggesting the current arrangement should be scrapped, only that this be offered as an add-on)

• Despite many requests, it is still not possible to enter an address manually. Many other websites allow this, so why not giffgaff? 

• Members logged into their account don't have to buy a goodybag. Yet after buying a phone they receive an email which looks as though they have been given a free goodybag with the purchase. Confusing, to say least. 

Capture.JPG

• And unless it has been fixed today, the email notification about card details being saved without permission (which is a bug) is still alive and kicking 14 days since I first flagged up.  
27/08/2017
My @mentions are turned OFF
Message 1 of 5
by: giffgaffprepper
on: 14/02/2018 | 16:24

another thing that needs mentioning is waiting for approval with ratesetter before being able to actually buy the phone, I see quite a few people getting confused in why they have to purchase the phone again, as they think they have already placed an order

Message 2 of 5
by: mcilwraith
on: 14/02/2018 | 16:31

i want to know why the need to re-order a phone.

if the person buying passes the credit check send them the phone.they have already made the down payment.

if not inform them of the sad news and thats it

ive lost count now.i think its 7 or 8 phones i`ve had so no problem with the courier.every one delivered on time

click and collect is a good idea too and might help with the address problem

thats my bit Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
by: blackfive460
on: 14/02/2018 | 16:54

@essie112mm

You are right to stress delivery as an important part of the experience. Or, more to the point, as a way to encourage customers to buy from giffgaff.

Choice of delivery company is for some a key factor in who they'll buy from online and, for me, there are some online sellers that I would never use even though they may be cheaper than others for the item I'm buying. Indeed, just last week I abandoned a purchase when I discovered that a company's choice of courier was going to be Yodel!

I have no doubt that giffgaff's choice of courier works for them and doesn't mess up too often. I'd also guess that they are value for money but that's no reason not to also offer prospective customers a more expensive, premium option which some will take to ensure (hopefully) trouble free delivery.

Click and collect is another option but in that instance there's both the need to ensure that the courier can get items to the collection point reliably as well as finding a suitable partner with plenty of pick up locations. All that adds complications and expense.

On the subject of manually entering addresses; I seem to recall when this came up before it was there as an anti-fraud feature and, due to the potential loss with selling expensive handsets, something like this is required to ensure that the person paying is actually the person who's going to get the handset and that giffgaff are actually going to get the money!

Message 4 of 5
by: essie112mm
on: 14/02/2018 | 17:08

Yes, I remember the reasoning provided by giffgaff for not permitting the facility to choose one's address manually. But there are plenty of websites I use which offer this where it's possible to spend large sums running to several hundreds of pounds much too easily Smiley LOL (Thankfully, I have willpowerSmiley Wink) So I don't buy into that one. 

The phone I ordered was a present. It's the 4th time I've bought a phone from giffgaff and I must say that for me the experience each time has been seamless, although I would like a Click+Collect option even better. 

27/08/2017
My @mentions are turned OFF
Message 5 of 5