Community

Charity nominations?

Started by: holier_than_thou
On: 10/11/2018 | 22:02
Replies: 33

by: holier_than_thou
on: 10/11/2018 | 22:02

How does it work exactly?

I've been reading through the nominations thread and there are people registering just to nominate their charity. Is that ok, do you have to be an 'activated sim member' or can anyone just register and nominate without actually using giffgaff as a provider?

Also, people are supporting a 'fund' on there which is not a registered charity, so how does that work as well?

Message 1 of 34
by: isabel1066
on: 11/11/2018 | 09:29 edited: 11/11/2018 | 09:31

@holier_than_thou this is what the educator said to me regarding registering.When a member joins it is possible for them to activate a sim but nto to have gone anywhere else on the site in which case their start date would show as the first date they came to the community pages; it's not always their join date. There are also plenty of members on the forums who have chosen to set up new accounts for various reasons and this is not against the rules at all. Members are only permitted to have one account active on the forum, but they are more than welcome to stop using an account completely and start again with a new one should they desire to do so.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 34
by: ujo55
on: 11/11/2018 | 10:44 edited: 11/11/2018 | 11:07

@holier_than_thou
- To the best of my knowledge you do not have to have an active giffgaff SIM to participate in these forums, it has been suggested form time to time but they are open to all. The reason given is that members may wish to join and check out the community before choosing GG as a provider.
- So anyone can nominate a charity if they have an account irrespective of their having a SIM, or being a regular visitor to the forum.
- To be eligible to receive receive payback you do need to have either an active SIM - used within the previous 3 months or be a customer of giffgaff gameplan - but unsure quite how the latter works.
- To vote in the selection of the charity to receive a donation you must have earned payback points in the period, it does not seem to say you must be eligible to receive the payback, just that you have earnt the points, but not 100% sure of the interpretation of this.
- The date of joining indicated is not the date the account was set up but the date the member first visits the forum - can be quite different.

Finally yes only registered charities can bennifit, however if it William's fund to which you refer this has already been clarified:

The Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals Charitable Funds (Register 1057295), is the registered charity associated with William's Fund which I believe to be a very worthy cause.

Message 3 of 34
by: puggypup
on: 11/11/2018 | 13:16 edited: 11/11/2018 | 13:21

@ujo55 wrote:

@holier_than_thou
- To the best of my knowledge you do not have to have an active giffgaff SIM to participate in these forums, it has been suggested form time to time but they are open to all. The reason given is that members may wish to join and check out the community before choosing GG as a provider.
- So anyone can nominate a charity if they have an account irrespective of their having a SIM, or being a regular visitor to the forum.
- To be eligible to receive receive payback you do need to have either an active SIM - used within the previous 3 months or be a customer of giffgaff gameplan - but unsure quite how the latter works.
- To vote in the selection of the charity to receive a donation you must have earned payback points in the period, it does not seem to say you must be eligible to receive the payback, just that you have earnt the points, but not 100% sure of the interpretation of this.
- The date of joining indicated is not the date the account was set up but the date the member first visits the forum - can be quite different.

Finally yes only registered charities can bennifit, however if it William's fund to which you refer this has already been clarified:

The Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals Charitable Funds (Register 1057295), is the registered charity associated with William's Fund which I believe to be a very worthy cause.

Curiously the 'charity' mentioned above has been removed from the public register

1057295.PNG

Why wasn't the 'charity' nominated instead of the fund?

What was/is the link between the fund and the 'charity' and who would control/spend any funds donated, also what % of funds donated would be absorbed by administration costs etc?

Message 4 of 34
by: natty_noo
on: 11/11/2018 | 15:57

@puggypup wrote:

@ujo55 wrote:

@holier_than_thou

Curiously the 'charity' mentioned above has been removed from the public register

1057295.PNG

Why wasn't the 'charity' nominated instead of the fund?

What was/is the link between the fund and the 'charity' and who would control/spend any funds donated, also what % of funds donated would be absorbed by administration costs etc?

I think we need some clarity on this ^ before the voting takes place, especially as only registered charities are supposed to be eligible for nomination.

But to answer the op's question, i'm not entirely sure if you only need to be a member of the forum itself, or need an active sim to take part in the nomination process. Maybe @t_will can clear this up for you, as he's overseeing the nominations thread.

Message 5 of 34
by: bullphit
on: 11/11/2018 | 16:41
People really join just to nominate a charity?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 34
by: sasha_t
on: 11/11/2018 | 18:49
In the 3 years i've been here i always assumed you had to be using giffgaff as a provider if you wanted to nominate, and vote, for a charity.

Maybe i've been wrong all this time, so hopefully someone can give us the answer, directly from giffgaff themselves would be preferable so there are no grey areas.
Message 7 of 34
by: ip633
on: 11/11/2018 | 18:49 edited: 11/11/2018 | 18:50

@ujo55 wrote:

<snip>

That question has come up a few times recently, and if you remember, it did cause some disquiet when the subject was first broached in this thread. I don’t think the T&Cs have ever been updated to reflect the possibility of receiving payback from simply using the giffgaff money site, so perhaps they’ve had a change of heart. 

The other question of whether an active sim was still required (i.e. for the charity vote), also came up in that thread, but we never did get an answer, so hopefully we’ll finally get the necessary clarification. You’d think they’d have learned by now, that if you walk away from having a difficult conversation, it’s likely to come back to haunt you some day.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 34
by: geu42
on: 11/11/2018 | 20:49
I'm another one who thought you had to have an active sim to take part in the nominations and voting.

It would be nice to get a definitive answer on this.
Message 9 of 34
by: kath72
on: 11/11/2018 | 21:02
It would definately be good to get some definitive answers to these questions!

I do wonder why someone new to the forum who has therefore not earnt any payback would be eligible to nominate where others money goes.

I appreciate gg match the donations so, to some degree, we all have a vested interest in who wins but .....
Message 10 of 34