Knowledge Base
Community

Cleaning Up Announcements

Started by: magspider
On: 26/10/2018 | 13:25
Replies: 18

by: koshka
on: 27/10/2018 | 13:11

I agree that no longer relevant threads should be culled and those that need no  comment posted locked. as to those that become kudo fests, if announcement kudos were to be discounted, like games thread ones, that would help sort those where  pertinent comments were desired.

Message 11 of 19
by: persco
on: 29/10/2018 | 07:44

I also agree old and outdated announcements should be locked. Commenting isn’t so much of an issue after all someone commenting on eg new goodybags with “great news thanks” albeit trivial is still valid. 

It is also important new Ed’s and giffstaffers are announced. I don’t know how else they would introduce themselves to the community than to post in announcements.if they don’t, we will moan, speculate or wonder when all of a sudden we see them posting and commenting plus we need to know what their roles would be etc. My only issue here is the outdated and old threads that should be locked. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 19
by: mangowalk
on: 29/10/2018 | 15:01
thanks for that
Message 13 of 19
by: janny27
on: 29/10/2018 | 22:47
That sounds good, thank you.
Message 14 of 19
by: extreme_one
on: 30/10/2018 | 10:41

@shabazmoqsud wrote:

@magspider

Agree with you but giffgaff can only do this if we report the threads and posts.

What you've said is only half true @shabazmoqsud

giffgaff could do this proactively, but they choose to only act reactively.

General forum maintenance shouldn't be left to the membership to flag up, it should be done periodically as a matter of course.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 16 of 19
by: munglespoon
on: 30/10/2018 | 13:31

@shabazmoqsud wrote:

@magspider 

Agree with you but giffgaff can only do this if we report the threads and posts.

We can report the posts but there has to be a policy that these posts are considered unecessary. If there is not a policy like this then the community team will not remove them they will just ignore the report or tell the reporting member to stop reporting it.

Message 17 of 19
by: magspider
on: 08/11/2018 | 11:36

Thanks for all the comments so far in this thread. First I'd like to see the zero content responses - 'thanks for sharing' etc - removed from this thread.

While locking Announcements is one solution, it's not what I'm proposing wholesale. I'd like to see open discussion that's curated to encourage good posting behaviour. Allowing on-topic, substantive responses should be encouraged. Conditioning forumites to not post zero effort content would be more effective and worthwhile in the long run than a Draconian lockdown.

@munglespoon wrote:

@shabazmoqsud wrote:

@magspider 

We can report the posts but there has to be a policy that these posts are considered unecessary. If there is not a policy like this then the community team will not remove them they will just ignore the report or tell the reporting member to stop reporting it.

^ this too ^

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
by: orlf
on: 16/01/2019 | 02:40
This sounds like an entirely reasonable and sensible suggestion.
I'm Orlf. It's a Norwegian name.
Message 19 of 19