Community

Come and get involved in our Lean UX workshop

Started by: misterdoo
On: 10/01/2019 | 10:51
Replies: 37

by: misterdoo
handy giff-staffer

on: 10/01/2019 | 10:51 edited: 16/01/2019 | 14:09

Hello everyone, Happy New Year to you all. I’m Steve, one of the Scrum Masters at giffgaff - and if you don’t know what that is, I don’t blame you. Basically, we help our product teams organise and prioritise what they do, to make sure that they’re doing the best they can for you, every day.

As part of that, as we move into 2019 and the new approach to working that @steve__mc  talked about here, we’ve set up a week-long workshop at giffgaff HQ to really get to grips with one aspect of it, called Lean UX. It’s a set of techniques that will really let us live up to the promise of ‘run by you’ in this new framework. It means we can involve you earlier than ever before and make sure we’re genuinely building what we know that members want, rather than building something first and then seeing if you like it.

That’s where we want to be - but it’s not going to happen overnight. First, we need to take our first steps - and that’s where the workshop comes in. For a week, we’ll have hundreds of giff-staffers from our development teams and beyond, working together to understand Lean UX and do a few experiments or even just ask a few questions to take those first steps. This is something that we want to be doing often in the future. We might come to the community, ask the giffgaff pioneers group, get info from a focus group or literally ask someone outside the office on a smoke break - whatever gets us more information than just an assumption.

So, during our workshops next week, we’d love to be able to connect with you. If you’re free and willing, we might post a thread, send some private messages, or if you’re up for it a phone call or video chat might be on the cards. A real-time conversation will mean we can get a lot of value out of the time we have in the workshop.

Want to be involved? We’re thinking between 12 and 2:30 on Tuesday 15th would be a good time to kick some of this off. If you’re up for a short phone or video call, if you could fill out this form to let us know, that’d be amazing and we can just call you from one of our meeting rooms. As a thank you, we’ll be giving £5 credit to the account of anybody that contributes via a phone call and £10 credit for anybody that participates via video call.

If that’s not something that suits you, don’t worry - keep an eye out throughout the week for threads from new faces. This might be quite quick discussions, so keep an eye on the Contribute forum for threads as the week progresses - they’ll all have the word ‘workshop’ in the title so you can spot them easily. A short list of these is right here:

Are there people looking to join on a short-term basis, and what might stop them?

Can you remember the last time you ran low on data?

What would you use first to get help from giffgaff?

Use of email address to login to giffgaff account

Do you know about Credit Score?

Help with meaningful payment error messages

I’m really hoping we can get to know some of you a bit better and really looking forward to seeing what insights we can gather Smiley Happy

Best,

Steve

Edited: Removed form from the thread as our window for phone calls has passed.

Scrum Master at giffgaff
Message 1 of 38
by: endorphin
on: 10/01/2019 | 11:37

Sounds very interesting @misterdoo but I'm offline in the afternoons (for sanity's sake!), sorry.

we’ll have hundreds of giff-staffers from our development teams and beyond

I didn't realise giffgaff had so many developers!? Smiley Surprised

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 38
by: blackfive460
on: 10/01/2019 | 13:57

@endorphin wrote:

Sounds very interesting @misterdoo but I'm offline in the afternoons (for sanity's sake!), sorry.

From the last annual report...

staff.jpg

That was for 2017. 

Message 3 of 38
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 10/01/2019 | 16:11

@misterdoo 

Great idea to get the members involved, i hope you get loads of members contibution Steve.

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 5 of 38
by: kathleen414
on: 10/01/2019 | 17:48

@endorphin wrote:

@endorphin @misterdoo

Same as only its workSmiley Tongue, i really didnt know giffgaff had sooo many giffstaffers either 

Message 6 of 38
by: popcorn3000
handy giff-staffer

on: 10/01/2019 | 22:01
I think the annual report will only reflect permenant employees. We hire in a lot of managed service and contractors with specific skill sets as our projects evolve over time. 😊
Queen of the North, Master of Scrums, Powered by Yorkshire Tea
Message 7 of 38
by: misterdoo
handy giff-staffer

on: 11/01/2019 | 09:10

To be fair, when I said "hundreds", I probably meant "more than a hundred". I ran put pf fingers when I was counting rond the office :-)

This also reflects the new approach; a development team will no longer just be comprised of developers, it will also include product designers, community team members, data analysts, etc. - anybody who can contribute to identifying and building stuff that you all want as quickly as possible. 

Scrum Master at giffgaff
Message 8 of 38
by: ray2
on: 11/01/2019 | 10:03

Sounds interesting,but i'm no good with phonecalls or video calls,but i will look out for the many workshop posts and am happy to give some input on the threads Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 38
Highlighted
by: endorphin
on: 11/01/2019 | 10:32

@misterdoo wrote:

To be fair, when I said "hundreds", I probably meant "more than a hundred". I ran put pf fingers when I was counting rond the office :-)

That's better, it ties in with the numbers @blackfive460 found. Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 10 of 38