Knowledge Base
Community

Coming soon… A brand new feature for goodybags.

Started by: dc_caton78
On: 31/05/2018 | 11:06
Replies: 162

by: dc_caton78
handy giff-staffer

on: 31/05/2018 | 11:06 edited: 19/07/2018 | 11:03

It’s been a busy year for goodybags: we’ve added unlimited mins, +1 GB extra data if you run out and now we have something else we want to share with you…

We’ve heard from our Helpers there are some instances when goodybags don’t quite do the job. For example, say you’re watching The Voice on Saturday night and want to vote. That kind of call voting isn’t included in your goodybag so unless you have some airtime credit then you can’t vote. And there are other things not included in goodybags, such as calls to 084 numbers, calls to international numbers, premium rate texts, calls to special access numbers like 118 Directory Enquires and roaming when outside the EU.

So that you can do the things that you want to, even when you haven’t topped up, we’re pleased to announce a new feature of goodybags. Say hello to credit cushion.

What is credit cushion?
Credit cushion is a feature that you can turn on that will enable you to use up to £5 of airtime credit if you want to use your phone for something that isn’t included in your goodybag. You only pay for what you use, you simply pay it back when you get your next goodybag and you’ll be able to see a breakdown of all your credit cushion usage within the app or on your dashboard. And if you don’t need credit cushion at all you can either leave it there untouched or turn it off all together.

Continuous service. No bill shock. No fuss.

The concept of ‘emergency credit’ has been really popular within our community for some time and has had more than 700 votes from members. We’ve been working on building a feature along with some of our members for a while and we’re really grateful to those members who visited our office to help flesh out the idea and those who are testing a beta version of the service today.

So when does credit cushion launch?
Members with a recurring goodybag will be able to turn on credit cushion in July. We’ll post again when we know the exact date.

Step 2 will see members who don’t have a recurring goodybag (but do have a saved payment method) be able to turn it on in August. Again, we’ll confirm the exact date as soon as we can.

So what do you need to do?
Before we announce it to all our members we wanted to get your thoughts and questions first. Please post here on this thread and we can get the conversation started. We’ll be popping by regularly to answer questions and give updates.

We’ve designed credit cushion to put members in control and give them even more flexibility. We’ll use your feedback to help us make it the best it can be for all our members.

Cheers
DC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest update 19/7/18

Hi, many thanks for all your feedback so far on credit cushion, extremely useful food for thought for us.

When I started this thread I mentioned that we'd be launching in July and I'd be in touch to let you know the exact date. Unfortunately the launch is going to be delayed as we’ve realised there are a few more improvements we need to make, and we want to make sure the service is delivered in the best way for you all.

There were a lot of really positive comments on this thread and for those of you who said you were really excited about the launch of credit cushion then, not to worry, we’re working hard to deliver this service as quickly and best we can.

When we have a clearer view on a launch date we'll pop by again and give you an update.

Thanks top giffgaffers, speak to you all soon.

DC

Message 1 of 163
by: allan1954
on: 31/05/2018 | 11:11
cheers @dc_caton78 this should be good for the giffgaff members.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 163
by: jokeyboi77
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:05

Good idea, although what about voucher users are they going to be able to access this feature @dc_caton78? Or are they covered under the 'saved payment method'?

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 3 of 163
by: pauljohn7
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:10

@dc_caton78

Sounds like an excellent option.

Should come in helpful for many members caught in the 'Active goodybag but no calling credit' situation.

Message 4 of 163
by: figment_uk
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:27

@jokeyboi77

A 'saved payment method' is a debit card, credit card or paypal. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 5 of 163
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:32

@figment_uk

That's what I thought mate and it's looking like voucher users aren't going to be able to switch the 'credit cushion' on, hoping I'm wrong though.

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 6 of 163
by: figment_uk
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:39

jokeyboi77 wrote:

@figment_uk

That's what I thought mate and it's looking like voucher users aren't going to be able to switch the 'credit cushion' on, hoping I'm wrong though.

I wouldn't think that would be an option, as there is no way of getting the money back from voucher users if they use the credit cushion and then leave.   It would also cause issues when a member has used some of the credit cushion then buys a voucher for the exact value of the next goodybag as they will not be able to get it because they have to repay the cushion before they can complete the goodybag purchase.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 7 of 163
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:46

figment_uk wrote:

jokeyboi77 wrote:

@figment_uk

I wouldn't think that would be an option, as there is no way of getting the money back from voucher users if they use the credit cushion and then leave.   It would also cause issues when a member has used some of the credit cushion then buys a voucher for the exact value of the next goodybag as they will not be able to get it because they have to repay the cushion before they can complete the goodybag purchase.

I see what you mean and it's definitely not going to be available to voucher users, but I suppose it's still available to voucher users if they switch payment methods, cheers for the explanation mate. 

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 8 of 163
by: kmichael
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:51

@dc_caton78

A couple of things... 

- please confirm that the credit cushion will only be applicable when connected to the giffgaff network and not when roaming

- provide more details on how the used credit is to be repayed; the "debt" will be added to the price of the recurring goodybag, right?

- the turn on/off switch for the credit cushion should be straight forward to find/appear and come with a info warning about charges etc - important so members don't get surprised with the additional charges to be paid the following month

Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit
Message 9 of 163
by: joolzian
on: 31/05/2018 | 12:52

This is a long requested feature, one of the longest, so well done giffgaff for working out a way to provide this while minimising the risk of abuse.

Message 10 of 163