Community

Community Payback 2.0

Started by: alex_w
On: 18/05/2015 | 17:26
Replies: 1367

by: mary_r_t
on: 18/05/2015 | 17:56

@alex_w

What a lot to digest...I think it will take the inevitable discussion on this thread to get to grips with the potential impact of the proposals.

The payback system has been rather static for a long time...in fact the only major change in 5 1/2 years was to move from 'floating bands' which were manually calculated depdent on overall activity during the month across the whole forum and the current system of 'set bands' with a secret calculation to band across the forum (although I do recall that calculation has been tweaked various times).

I do agree that some members spend far more time and effort than others and yet have the current £30 ceiling of band 1 - and that shouldn't be the case. There has been the ever present problem of posting for the sake of posting and poor copy and paste answers which the current system can't filter out properly either and hopefully a adjustment to the forumula would help people think before they posted.

What I'm not sure is how the changes would initially change people's approach to posting. If best answers are directly rewarded will more people move to 'catch all' copy and paste answers in the hope that they get chosen as best answer or get a unique kudos? Or will they heed the fact it's a ratio of posts to best answers? What is the scope for tweaking the new forumla if it doesn't seem to be quite hitting the design because people change their habits? How can you determine who is a 'good member' in Help when many queries come from members who are visiting the forum for the first time and won't return until they have another issue?

Will contributing to Ideas be across Contribute and Ideas? Or will Contributing to community as a whole be where the Contribute board lies?

I look forward to seeing first impressions from everyone else Smiley Happy

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Urban Myths - The truth is out there!
Message 11 of 1,368
by: hcovell
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:00

Sounds good! I like that it seems more transparent...not as mysterious as the current system.

Unfortunately I'm not so active on the community as I used to be so probably won't really notice the changes. Are there any plans for changes to the recruiting side of payback?

Hannah

In April 2016, I'm running the Plymouth Half Marathon to raise money for Breast Cancer Now, a charity that works to develop treatments and eventually find a cure for this terrible disease. I would be extremely grateful for any support to help me raise as much as I can: justgiving
Message 12 of 1,368
by: missej
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:00
I lyk things the way they are!
Message 13 of 1,368
by: simonefaye78
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:01
Hmmm interesting stuff. At first read through I'm happy with the changes, but I'll leave my final judgement until its put into practice.

It definitely looks like it will more fairly reward the most helpful members and weed out some of the "payback parrots".

I'm not too sure about using kudos as a measure, especially in the GD area, as it could be made into a popularity contest, but I would hope you have measures in place to stop that from happening
So anyway...
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 14 of 1,368
by: shamilakhanxox
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:04
I would prefer it the old payback system stays the same £15 is too less for everyone £30 was just right
Message 15 of 1,368
by: woodyuk
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:04 edited: 18/05/2015 | 18:13

Phew,that was a lot to read and digest but after going through it all a couple of times I like this new system a lot.

New member payback,what's not to like about that?Anything that encourages new users to become productive members of the community can only be a good thing.

Basic payback,the new lower value system should discourage those who think they've only got to turn up to earn a few pounds while still giving them the option to earn more if they want to get more involved in more areas of the community.

Enhanced payback will reward those real superstars that we have who really do go the extra mile to help others and the posts to best answers ratio will discourage those who use the shotgun approach of just firing a copy and pasted answer at every question that's posted in Help that may or may not vaguely relate to the question asked because their post to best answer ratio will drop below the required rate,plus the enhanced payback will also reward those who beaver away to make giffgaff as a whole a better place via the ideas board and here in contribute for instance.

Just one question,will those of us that help out at Facebook and Twitter be eligible for enhanced payback for our efforts there or as present will that be part of the "odds and ends" that are awarded?

Lastly,kudos just for using the term "payback parrots",little did I know when I first coined it several years ago now that it would become part of our everyday language.

Message 16 of 1,368
by: johnrooney80
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:07
Sounds positive mab, that's awesome. One will be gun in for 75 phat ines
Message 17 of 1,368
by: n4tz
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:09
Wow Alex it is very comprehensive! My initial thoughts are :

I like the layered approach as it's flexible and allows for unfamiliarity and gives members the chance to learn. I also like the fact that there isn't a £30 ceiling point, it is true that some members definitely deserve more than that.

I'm intrigued by the reputable member status (how this is determined) and look forward to seeing how this pans out
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 1,368
by: red_dwarf
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:16

@alex_w

Many thanks for your efforts in putting all this together for our consumption.

It's a lot to take in and I know that I wil have questions or positive criticisms once I have had a chance to digest all the information.

One thing that I noticed though following my initial glance at the proposals and that involves the Layer 2 - Basic Payback section:

Layer 2 - Basic Payback

When members have been active on the community for longer than a month they will be eligible for basic payback, which is similar to the current payback but has a lower cap of £15 and runs off more reliable numbers, such as kudos from reputable members.

You stated "kudos from reputable members."

How are reputable members determined? What is the definition of a reputable member and what criteria are used to qualify a member as such?

Message 19 of 1,368
by: endorphin
on: 18/05/2015 | 18:16
@woodyuk I think this proposal address the question of payback for people helping out on social media http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Introducing-integrated-community-profile/td-p/1664807...
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 20 of 1,368