Knowledge Base
Community

Compensation culture 😩

Started by: hunterchunk
On: 06/12/2018 | 14:46
Replies: 14

by: hunterchunk
on: 06/12/2018 | 14:46

Jeez, we get more like the USA everyday. Can't believe the amount of people already clamouring for compensation due to the outage. Just getting the service back will do me, it's not as though it's an everyday occurrence 

Message 1 of 15
by: mcilwraith
on: 06/12/2018 | 14:55

@hunterchunk wrote:

Jeez, we get more like the USA everyday. Can't believe the amount of people already clamouring for compensation due to the outage. Just getting the service back will do me, it's not as though it's an everyday occurrence 

what kind of compensation do these people expect? the last time there was a big outage i got around £1.gave it to charity

Message 2 of 15
by: k89bpa
on: 06/12/2018 | 15:50
It was the same behaviour which drove me to seek alternative service, the forum was asked if they wanted money in their pocket, (pennies), or to have it invested into services.

Guess what they chose.

I stopped taking giffgaff as a network provider that day. And soon after I was gone.
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 3 of 15
by: woodyuk
on: 06/12/2018 | 16:17

I think that most of the users screaming for compo forget or overlook that when they joined giffgaff they accepted their T&Cs,including the one that says they may lose service at any time.

No network can guarantee a seamless service so all have similar terms.

2.1 We will provide the Service to you, and you will be entitled to the quality of Service generally provided by a competent mobile telecommunications service provider exercising reasonable skill and care. However, the Service is not fault free and we will not be liable to you if it is impaired by geographic, atmospheric, Network traffic or other conditions or circumstances beyond our control, including but not limited to the following:

• a) The Service is subject to Network coverage and is not available in all parts of the United Kingdom, the EU and selected destinations or in all other countries; and
  • b) The Network may from time to time require upgrading, modification, maintenance or other work which may result in partial or complete non-availability of the Service.
Message 4 of 15
by: freedmaniac
on: 06/12/2018 | 17:43

@k89bpa

May I ask why you bother to post on the Giffgaff forums if you left?

Message 5 of 15
on: 06/12/2018 | 17:47
Why not @freedmaniac?

One doesn't have to maintain a mobile service to use a forum, even this one.
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 6 of 15
on: 06/12/2018 | 18:22

@k89bpa

Absolutely correct, but if it's not good enough to use as a network, I just wondered why you would even bother.

Message 7 of 15
on: 06/12/2018 | 18:29 edited: 06/12/2018 | 18:33

@freedmaniac these days it's mostly habit and ill health if I'm being brutally honest, but once upon a time I had a lot of fun in the forums even of the network service was less than I demanded so that's why I stuck around after leaving.

Incidentally, a recent network test demonstrated that giffgaff is once again suitable for usage, albeit as a backup to Vodafone, so I'll be using the network again once payback pays out, (unless this outage lasts for days/weeks in which case I'll use it to grab a years service on EE's £20/20GB current offer and use that as my backup, or perhaps use Virgin and whatever they have or maybe I'll do both Virgin/EE and giffgaff, I dunno). 

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 8 of 15
on: 06/12/2018 | 19:45

@k89bpa

Fair comment. It just seemed a bit odd, but I understand now.

Message 9 of 15
on: 06/12/2018 | 20:10 edited: 06/12/2018 | 20:12

@freedmaniac wrote:

@k89bpa

Fair comment. It just seemed a bit odd, but I understand now.

If you're thinking it was for payback, don't, I've only been eligible two times since the switch to the current model however long ago that was and I think it's absurd that doing a one goodybag network test makes me eligible for any payout.

(That's part of the reason I campaign against payback and regularly advocate for it's abolition). 

I would be lying however if I denied that the fact that giffgaff are literally throwing money at me hasn't played a part in my decision to use them as my backup provision because as long as they can do the business I'd feel too guilty spending it elsewhere. 

Honestly, I'd have actually preferred to take the EE Black Friday SIM only deal, (£30/60GB), or the Virgin one, (£20/200GB), as my backup, or even the Three one despite their slow speeds, (£20/unlimited), and I almost did but giffgaff throwing money at me kinda makes me feel obligated to use their services again. 

I will be making sure that I'm not eligible for payback next time around so I don't feel that obligation. Maybe I'll still choose giffgaff as my backup at that time, I don't know, but it'll be because they merit the position if I do rather than because I feel obligated to do so, (I know, I know, but my conscience is a weird beast).

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 10 of 15