Knowledge Base
Community

Complain

Started by: iliana75
On: 20/08/2016 | 15:02
Replies: 21

by: iliana75
on: 20/08/2016 | 15:02

I am completely unhappy with the service. The SIM card simply stopped working while I was changing it.

In such instances,there should be a quicker way of ordering a new SIM card, I shouldn't have waited for  business days term Nevertheless, I have ordered a SIM on Sunday  14.08 and by today (20.08) it still hasn't arrived. bypassing the "maximum" 5 working day term. I am so pissed off, staying without a phone for more than week and not clear how long it more will take and by unavailability of any sensible customer service team that would have speed up the process.

RECOMMENDATION! to be found a way for  urgent enquiries.

Message 1 of 22
by: harrrrrry
on: 20/08/2016 | 15:45

@iliana75

Sadly, the post isn't as reliable as we'd all like. Sims, for some obscure reason, seem even more prone to loss in transit. There's nothing that a customer service team could do about that. Especially on a Saturday afternoon when the post has already gone.

Where are you (approximately) ? Many members keep spare sims and are happy to let you collect or meet somewhere convenient. But mention it's for a sim swap, because sims older than 6 months may have problems for that.

Put your town and/or first half of postcode in the special thread at https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-Join/Need-a-SIM-Micro-SIM-urgently/m-p/2585035#U2585035 and there's a chance somebody will have one near you.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 2 of 22
by: gindygoo
on: 20/08/2016 | 15:53
Yep that thread will get u a SIM quickly to perform a SIM swap.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 22
by: terran_federation
on: 20/08/2016 | 18:40
It's always worth having a few spare giffgaff sim cards around to give out - plus you can use these to perform a sim swap yourself very quickly if you run into difficulties.
For a free giffgaff SIM with £5 of FREE credit, click here
Message 4 of 22
by: navvy
on: 20/08/2016 | 19:25

iliana75 wrote:

I am completely unhappy with the service. The SIM card simply stopped working while I was changing it.

In such instances,there should be a quicker way of ordering a new SIM card, I shouldn't have waited for  business days term Nevertheless, I have ordered a SIM on Sunday  14.08 and by today (20.08) it still hasn't arrived. bypassing the "maximum" 5 working day term. I am so pissed off, staying without a phone for more than week and not clear how long it more will take and by unavailability of any sensible customer service team that would have speed up the process.

RECOMMENDATION! to be found a way for  urgent enquiries.

@iliana75

There is a way for urgent enquiries, and that is to post a new thread on the "Help and Support" board at http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/bd-p/QA1

If you had posted there you would have had a reply just as quickly as people could type, whereas all the other boards are looked at by fewer people.

You've been given one link to a thread where you can ask any local member to hand you a SIM.  There is also another similar thread which is stickied on the Welcome board so it is easy to find.  https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-Join/Need-a-sim-posting-urgently-First-class-or-hand-deliv...  and some members subscribe to these threads so that they are alerted whenever someone needs help.

How did you order a replacement SIM?  There are two basic ways, and it's important to know which you used.  If you reported it as lost/stolen then a special replacement SIM would be posted to you first class.  That special replacement is the only SIM that can be activated on your account, and if that one has been lost in the post then an agent needs to issue another one.

Hopefully you didn't do that, in which case any unactivated SIM that is less than about 6 months old can be used for a SIM swap, and any member can help you with that.  You might have ordered one by following the links on the Replace your SIM page at https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#simswap or at http://giffgaff.com/orders/mgm but whichever method you used, if you ordered before 13:00 then it should have been despatched the same day to be delivered the following day by Royal Mail first class.

The despatching process has been speeded up a lot recently, but I guess the ordering page is still saying 5 days instead of 2?

Unfortunately the way the postal system works, anything posted now won't be delivered until Tuesday morning at the earliest, so a personal meeting with another member could be far quicker, depending where you live.

I always carry a spare unactivated SIM in my wallet - they are conveniently credit card size.

When you joined in September 2015, a spare SIM would have been posted to you (so you could give it to a friend...), and it is possible that a SIM of that age may still be usable for a SIM Swap, if you still have it?

Message 5 of 22
on: 20/08/2016 | 20:18

thank you for your reply.

I have ordered another 2 cards, (after ordering initial on 7 days ago) hopefully, some of them will arrive,

The help and support boards link is not shown anywhere on the website, and all the forums, that help will such links  show the links that are old and inactive.

Message 6 of 22
by: timwilliams25
on: 20/08/2016 | 21:11 edited: 20/08/2016 | 21:13

Always best to order more than 1 sim card, so you always have a spare if needed or if you want to give one to somebody else.  You can order upto 3 sims each time - so order all three - they all come in the same envelope/letter.

Not much help for you now, but may be useful for the future

You would have the same issue with any other network - they would have to send you out a sim, as they will not allow you to have 2 active sims on an account..

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 8 of 22
by: navvy
on: 21/08/2016 | 00:04 edited: 21/08/2016 | 00:07

iliana75 wrote:

thank you for your reply.

I have ordered another 2 cards, (after ordering initial on 7 days ago) hopefully, some of them will arrive,

The help and support boards link is not shown anywhere on the website, and all the forums, that help will such links  show the links that are old and inactive.

@iliana75

Are you using the full website or the mobile version?  Or one of the apps?

On the full website there is a black border at the top with a label for Community, and when you hover over that there are links to many boards, including "Help & Support" which takes you straight to the page where you can start a new thread about a problem, or see your previous unsolved thread(s).

Maybe the Help board ought to be a lot more prominent instead of halfway down the list?  It is also important there to look at the Announcements and Sevice boards.

On the Help button of the black menu, the Help board is labelled as "Ask the community" under  the FAQ (Knowledge Base).  

As a helper I usually go to the Service board, and then the Announcements board, before looking to see where I can be useful in Help.

For someone who needs to ask for help, they perhaps need it to be more obvious where to ask for help?  They can then be given the links to any pages they need.  

However, the real idea is for people to be able to find the answers they need without people having to type them yet again...  That's why the box for starting a new question will automatically search through old solved threads.  This relies on people correctly marking which was the best answer for their problem.

I was hoping that you'd have posted a request for a SIM so that we could see if you could be helped more quickly.  I'm surprised you want to just trust Royal Mail to get it right next time.

Those threads for requesting a SIM were started in the early days of giffgaff and now have thousands of messages.  When you reply on them, your message appears at the end of the thread and anyone reading it will go straight to either the end of the thread, or to the first unread message, which will be yours.

If they have subscribed, they get an email with a link directly to your message.  [You can also put @ in front of someone's name so that they get a personal email notification that they have been mentioned, so they can go straight to your message and respond, as I have done at the top of this message.]

If it is off-putting to see threads that were started ages ago, maybe new threads need to be created to do the same job?  But how often do we start a new thread?  Is a year-old or month-old thread too old?  You could of course put your request in your own thread, but it might not be seen by the people who have volunteered to help in that way.

The community pages are due to have a major revamp in the next 3-4 weeks, so it's probably a good time to discuss which bits need to be more prominent.

Message 9 of 22
on: 21/08/2016 | 06:41

ask the community is not the same as ask  the customer service , as the later can escalate the problem and assure the sim card is being sent. 

I hope that finally somebody from customer service finally looks at my problem and assure that the card is finally sent. I have never had a problem with the post . If I ask another member it will take 3 days to be delivered again. Can I have this assurance please- Posted first class on Saturday means delivered On Monday the latest.? Can can expect the card then? And please extend my period of goody bag with 10 days as it is not my fault that the order hasn't been processed on time. 

Message 10 of 22