[Concept] My giffgaff App (Android)

Started by: joshaw
On: 04/02/2013 | 13:04
Replies: 38

Highlighted
by: joshaw
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:04

Ad2.png

My giffgaff App (Concept Only - Android)

giffgaff is famous for it's presence on the internet, giffgaff has no shiny shops and does everything online. giffgaff in a sense is the digital network, its all about connecting people in more ways than just through SMS and calls. With giffgaff changing the face of the mobile network, its safe to say something new is needed, something far in front of other networks.

The competition with applications from mobile networks isn't that high, they are all fairly basic, poorly built and designed, and generally not that nice to use. However, I believe I have designed (concept) an app for giffgaff that will push giffgaff forward. It's a big ask, but its a concept that maybe on day could become feasible and relevant for giffgaff to pursue. 

In my concept app, I've tried to keep giffgaff's manifesto in mind, making sure the importance of our connected community gets a fair look into things, and that sharing giffgaff is a big yes Yes YES! In fact, with his app, the most important things I considered were (in order of importance):

• Giving a user its mobile and account information
  • Toping up & adding goodybags
  • Spreading giffgaff to others as easy as possible
  • Being connected to giffgaff, through the blog and community
  • Ensuring getting help is easy

SO, let me touch upon each of those points, and how I've directed design and features to ensure they happen, with pictures of designs to show you:

Giving a user its mobile and account information

The 'Home' screen (first screen on opening the app) gives you your username and number, and a card under the menu gives you your balance and active goodybag info. By touching inside the Circe or the arrow, the details will expand, showing you your balance, goodybag balance, goodybag queue, recurring goodybag and auto-top up settings. Clicking the next arrow will take you to the 'my account' page (not-designed).

post5.png  post1.png

In order to make the experience more personal, notifications (basically 'news feed' on my giffgaff) are also present. These could be pushed, giving the user the information as soon as the notification is published.

post2.png

Toping up & adding goodybags

Topping up is hugely important, giffgaff is a business and it will be quite high up there when it comes to importance. Topping up is made simple here, add credit, or add a goodybag. This is technically complex but hugely relevant part of the app.

post6.png  

post7.png

Spreading giffgaff to others as easy as possible

Spreading giffgaff is a big part of giffgaff's manifesto, so I've included easy ways to share your giffgaff link, through QR code and easy share button, as well as displaying your personal link. It would also be possible to order sims and send sims direct from the app and see your personal stats on your recruits.

post4.png

Being connected to giffgaff, through the blog and community & getting help

Connecting the community is vital, and although the community menu links mostly to the online version of the community, the options and easy and direct links are in the app to direct users to the right place to see the community, suggest ideas and get help. Announcements and news is also relevant to keep uses up to day and interested in the giffgaff news and updates.

post8.png  post9.png  

POST10.png

I hope you all like the designs and I hope that all this inspires more work and innovation outside the internet browser. This is giffgaff, it needs to be even more mobile, and I believe this is the way forward.

Josh Shaw

Message 1 of 39
by: as7861
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:06

Wow !!!!! 

Great Concept, speachless..... 

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 39
by: nerakb
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:10

Brilliant concept.Would like to see this happen.

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 3 of 39
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:13
Pheeew josh thats awesome ..

Cant wait
green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 4 of 39
by: anth006
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:15
Brilliant. I hope it becomes a reality soon.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 39
by: cim
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:31

As a minor comment I think active goodybag info should include number of days remaining and/or expiry date - but in general the visuals look awesome to me... well done.

Get a free Giffgaff SIM posted to you pronto
Message 6 of 39
by: oldyorkie
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:40
Absolutely awesome joshaw Smiley Surprised

Your concept app provides everything that the full site does via pc..... and more !!!

Mega impressed and wish you well ... it's something I would definately use ... and promote where possible ....

As I said .... AWESOME!!!
To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try Smiley Wink
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at Smiley TongueGet a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
Message 7 of 39
by: philiplittle40
on: 04/02/2013 | 13:48
Welcome back - and what a way to make an entrance Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 39
by: titchen
on: 04/02/2013 | 14:40 edited: 04/02/2013 | 14:41

Joshaw, there is no doubt that this app design is very elegant and beautiful, but I believe there are a few limitations/problems which may arise. Here's my opinion:

0.1. GIVING A USER HIS/HERS MOBILE/ACCOUNT INFORMATION:  You have achieved this, though I think there may be some problems (read from 1. onwards).

0.2. TOPPING UP & ADDING GOODYBAGS: Achieved.

0.3. SPREADING GIFFGAFF TO OTHERS AS EASY AS POSSIBLE: Achieved; your design (minus the orange box) makes this part intuitive and efficient. 

0.4. BEING CONNECTED TO GIFFGAFF...: Achieved. I love the notifications section; could give the option to enable notifications to appear in the status bar too.

0.5. ENSURING GETTING HELP...: Achieved.

1. HOME SCREEN: The 'home screen' looks great on the GNex screen, as I'm sure it would on any large displays (w/ high ppi e.g N4/SGS3); but what about people with more budget devices with smaller displays (lower ppi)? The elements of the design with smaller fonts like the goodybag information on the left hand side may be very hard to read or select; some of the elements such as the orange box (containing the 8 links) and the circle (my giffgaff) may overlap if not scaled correctly to accommodate these displays. This may be averted by implementing a 'menu' with larger text (which may be the purpose of the column of three squares on the top right) to select the 'tools', 'spread', 'community' etc. 

2. HARDWARE VARIATION: I'm pretty sure this app would run smoothly on a GNex or any phone with a faster processor (ARMv7/Krait/1GHz+) though it may be laggy on a device with a processor running on the ARMv6 (with low clock speed) architecture for example. The reason I think it would be laggy is because of the complexity of the app, it isn't just displaying the giffgaff website in a frame or something similar.

2.1. DATA SPEED: Slow data speeds could be a problem, although I think it would generally be fine (excluding accessing the community/help sections). 

3. TOP UP PAGE: Get rid of the orange box when you enter the top up section, and use the 'menu' icon (the three dots) as a way to access the links in the orange box (the orange box isn't really needed in this section). This would save a lot of room - very useful for phones with smaller displays.

4. SPREAD/COMMUNITY/HELP/NEWS: I'd recommend the same as I did for the top up page for these sections. I love design of these page (minus the box at the top), in particular the community section. However, when one of the options is selected, like the 'search for answers' (great job for introducing that, I'm a strong advocate of searching before posting Smiley Happy), will it open the default browser (with the appropriate URL), will it nest the browser around a frame within the application itself or will you design a new way to display this? If you could design something new (which will no doubt be very aesthetically pleasing like the rest of your app) it would be brilliant.

Best wishes.

Message 9 of 39
by: joshaw
on: 04/02/2013 | 15:39 edited: 04/02/2013 | 15:42

Hey 'titchen',

Thanks very much for your comprehensive and well thought out reply. Before I go into detail on your argued points and considerations, I would like to assure you  everything that you have said has been something I have thought about whilst designing the app.

'The 'home screen' looks great on the GNex screen, as I'm sure it would on any large displays (w/ high ppi e.g N4/SGS3); but what about people with more budget devices with smaller displays (lower ppi)? The elements of the design with smaller fonts like the goodybag information on the left hand side may be very hard to read or select; some of the elements such as the orange box (containing the 8 links) and the circle (my giffgaff) may overlap if not scaled correctly to accommodate these displays. This may be averted by implementing a 'menu' with larger text (which may be the purpose of the column of three squares on the top right) to select the 'tools', 'spread', 'community' etc. '

So, the resolution here is standard for android 4.1 onwards. I believe that apps should consider this to be the most important version of android to consider building an app for, it's futureproof. However, there are some slightly smaller displays which will be running ICS. Saying that 4 icons in a row is still entirely feasible on any screen, the menu will not need to be altered, apart from the size of the text. The only part of the app that will need altering for non hd displays will be the 'my account circle' (which is accesable from any part of the app). In my view, if the screen is smaller than 720px wide, then the entire 'my account circle' section wouldn't be displayed and instead be replaced with something more simple, such as the image below. I believe every other part of the app can be easily scaled to accommodate smaller screen sizes.

post11.png

' I'm pretty sure this app would run smoothly on a GNex or any phone with a faster processor (ARMv7/Krait/1GHz+) though it may be laggy on a device with a processor running on the ARMv6 (with low clock speed) architecture for example. The reason I think it would be laggy is because of the complexity of the app, it isn't just displaying the giffgaff website in a frame or something similar.'

Like point '1' the issue is graphics. I have considered the performance of such complex graphics, and like point '1', on 'slower' devices (which tend to be smaller screens/resolutions anyway), you could just get rid of the complex animations that I would imagine come with this app, and reduce elements (like above) to help with processing the visuals. I would also point out that the giffgaff website will not be embedded within any of pages of the app, and are simply there to link to relevant pages on via the default mobile web browser.

'Slow data speeds could be a problem, although I think it would generally be fine (excluding accessing the community/help sections). '

I don't see how data speeds will effect the app, once data is collected, it will be cached for next time. The community and help sections are only links.

'Get rid of the orange box when you enter the top up section, and use the 'menu' icon (the three dots) as a way to access the links in the orange box (the orange box isn't really needed in this section). This would save a lot of room - very useful for phones with smaller displays.'

The menu (three dots) will contain other items, its an overflow and not the main menu, its vital the main menu (8 links in the orange box) are always there, or instantly available, its the main navigation around the app. I do understand what your saying, and I agree it would save loads of room. In the case that more room is needed, or to accommodate smaller screens, maybe the menu could be 'minimised', like this:

post12.png

' I'd recommend the same as I did for the top up page for these sections. I love design of these page (minus the box at the top), in particular the community section. However, when one of the options is selected, like the 'search for answers' (great job for introducing that, I'm a strong advocate of searching before posting :smileyhappy:), will it open the default browser (with the appropriate URL), will it nest the browser around a frame within the application itself or will you design a new way to display this? If you could design something new (which will no doubt be very aesthetically pleasing like the rest of your app) it would be brilliant.'

I've kind of already cover this one, but they are just links. The reason why they are just links is literally for reasons you've already outlined, processing this is alot of work, its something a web browers is built to do. Unless the web pages can be built inside the app (which is allot to ask, and hard work to do), then they will remain links.

I really appreciate you replying so critically, it's really helpful and I'm glad you like the design, thank you Smiley Happy

Josh

Message 10 of 39