Knowledge Base
Community

Considering new 4G tariffs, but......

Started by: ferguslynch
On: 17/09/2015 | 14:11
Replies: 10

by: ferguslynch
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:11 edited: 17/09/2015 | 14:13

I'm on the 'old' unlimited data £20 tariff.

Been concerned that the 6Gb download allowance on 4G (with throttled 3g access in basically daylight hours) on the new tariff is too low.  I had imagined that it would be at least double that.  Anyway, today I came across a post on the experience of AT&T when they did soimething similar to their tariffs in the USA.

Makes interesting reading, essentially they have had to raise the unthrottled download limit from 5Gb to 22Gb !.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/09/att-now-throttles-unlimited-data-after-22gb-instead-of-5gb/

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
by: williamwalker
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:34
Only I hope it happens let's face it giffgaff is no longer cheap
As I was told by a educator its a budget network but it doesn't charge budget prices anymore
Message 2 of 11
by: davejybandit
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:47

My only thought are what's that got to do with giffgaff? If you are wondering, is that going to haopen here, well No it's not!

giffgaff doesn't have access to massive amounts of data hence the cuts!

Message 3 of 11
by: navvy
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:50
Those of us who are on limited data packages of 6GB or less ought to be able to get fully usable data before the "always-on" get anything extra.
Message 4 of 11
by: gem925
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:07

The data needs to be made more useable as commented above, I find at times its not even worth trying to use. 

Message 5 of 11
by: andyhurley
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:32
Giffgaff aren't unique within the UK in throttling and their 6GB 'limit' is actually quite generous compared with most of the others. Added to that they renamed from 'unlimited' to 'always on' precisely to avoid that kind of lawsuit.

My only thought is that the £18 bag and the £20 bag both give 6GB so you are effectively paying £2 extra for unlimited, slow data. This seems wrong and I would have thought it should be 8GB or similar on the £20 bag.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 11
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:34

From that article: "Since AT&T no longer sells unlimited data plans to new customers, these policies affect only longtime customers with grandfathered plans."

This is for people who were on long-term or never-ending contracts, and those contracts are no longer available.  Giffgaff doesn't do contracts, and even if a goodybag is seen as a contract it is only for 1 month so giffgaff have the right to refuse to sell it to you again.

If AT&T have managed to get the number of people on those contracts down to a manageable level, they can probably afford to give a more generous allowance to those few people.

If it is only a very few people, it will be a good publicity stunt.

Message 7 of 11
by: 4128334
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:40 edited: 17/09/2015 | 18:53

@andyhurley
Hi,
Could not agree with what you have posted.
The introduction of  4g is academic to me anyway
as my phone is not capable of receiving it.
I use my Smartphone for all my internet requirements not having Broadband in the house and find 6gb of data more than enough for my requirements.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 11
by: bigdaveuk
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:55
giffgaff wont do this mate.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 11
on: 17/09/2015 | 16:05

andyhurley wrote:

<snip>
My only thought is that the £18 bag and the £20 bag both give 6GB so you are effectively paying £2 extra for unlimited, slow data. This seems wrong and I would have thought it should be 8GB or similar on the £20 bag.

The £2 extra also gives you unlimited minutes, (which also means you don't need to worry about keeping your free gg-gg calls under 60 minutes).  It could be used by someone with a basic phone who needs to talk without worrying at all.

Anyone who goes over the 6GB and needs to start another goodybag so that they can have full speed and tethering, will probably switch down to the £18 goodybag.  In the meantime, their email will continue working on "always-on".

Message 10 of 11