Knowledge Base
Community

Contradictions

Started by: natty_noo
On: 09/10/2018 | 21:54
Replies: 45

by: k89bpa
on: 13/10/2018 | 19:53 edited: 13/10/2018 | 20:00

@freedmaniac you're directly contradicting yourself there. Both "pointless" content and "foul" language are highly subjective. You can't treat them differently.

Back to the original topic though, in reporting highly subjective content such as "pointless posts" or "foul language", you cease to be a member actively assisting the moderators and are attempting, (perhaps not consciously), to adopt the role of editor.

It is perfectly understandable that the company will want to discourage this kind of behaviour.

It doesn't mean that you can't report content or that you should be worried about doing so, it just means, report content which falls outside the bounds of the guidelines and code of conduct, (for example, sexual content, copyright infringement and spam), but do not attempt to act as editor to satisfy your own preferences.

Since the introduction of the Code of Conduct people here have much less to be concerned about in terms of things like this, as long as they stick within them, because that clearly defines boundaries which previously were blurred and left to the subjectivity of the moderators. 

I've had no problems reporting content since the introduction of the code of conduct. There was one grey area which I needed to clear up for myself and a quick, very pleasant, discussion with Guy did precisely that.

I'm sure many of you will remember prior to the introduction of the code of conduct I wouldn't touch the report button except to report copyright infringements and very, very occasionally people literally tearing each other apart in a very blatant manner because of concerns I had about moderators using their subjectivity to respond. 

The code of conduct made a whole heap of things much clearer. 

Of course it has also made things a lot riskier if you dare to venture beyond the boundaries. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 21 of 46
by: freedmaniac
on: 14/10/2018 | 15:50

@k89bpa

@freedmaniac you're directly contradicting yourself there. Both "pointless" content and "foul" language are highly subjective. You can't treat them differently. 

Really? I do not see how I have contradicted myself. If there is language that needs "bleeping" out, then that must be bad language in the vast majority of cases. I would like to think that these people are being "spoken" to, but somehow doubt it. I pointeed out ( and perhaps did not make clear enough for you) that this type of language is not acceptable while minors are possibly using the forum.

As far as pointless posts are concerned, I conceded that it is a matter of taste and that people could simply ignore and move on.

Message 22 of 46
on: 14/10/2018 | 16:11
@freedmaniac

You accept that "pointless" content is subjective and that one should not attempt to editorialise the forums based on that whilst ignoring, even flat out denying, that "foul" language is also subjective and that one should not attempt to editorialise the forums based on that.

As for the "minors" comment, nah dude.

If you wanna talk about what "minors" are exposed to on this community then "foul" language is way, way down the list of things which should be considered.

How appropriate is it for instance, to have someone on the forum, going around trying to dictate and impose on others the vocabulary other people use to express themselves?

That's potentially teaching kids that it's perfectly fine and acceptable to force your highly subjective views, opinions and preferences onto others, to their potential detriment.

Honestly dude, your whole line in this thread is outrageous and extremely contradictory.

Stop trying to impose your views and preferences onto others by attempting to editorialise the content based on your personal preferences with regards to highly subjective content/issues.

And if you doubt the subjectivity of "language", I'm totally the opposite of you, I'd actually prefer that the censor did not exist because I'd actually like to read people's uncensored contributions.

And that applies even when it's directed at me.

Why? Because it's just words.
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 23 of 46
by: freedmaniac
on: 14/10/2018 | 16:30

@k89bpa

I'm not sure that using ganster-style, get-down-with-the-kids, language does anything to convince me of your argument.

I am definitely not and never have been a "dude"! 

You are giving your opinions and, as I said, I am giving mine. Clearly we differ and upon that we may at least agree.

My point was, and remains, that using f-words and the like does nothing to embellish a point.

If my views are so far out of kilter, why do you think that there is a "bleep" filter applied? I am suggesting that those who write in that way should be stopped afte the first tirade.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that this post has drifted on long enough, so we can call it a day.

Message 24 of 46
on: 14/10/2018 | 16:40 edited: 14/10/2018 | 16:42

@freedmaniac wrote:

You are giving your opinions and, as I said, I am giving mine. Clearly we differ and upon that we may at least agree.

Exactly dude, it's subjective.

You don't have to listen to me, but this whole thread is about giffgaff frowning upon and discouraging behaviour which is seen as attempting to editorialise and impose their opinions and preferences upon others. 

If you wanna continue doing that, (which is blatantly disrespectful and most likely why reporting posts as "pointless" is frowned upon), by all means do so. 

Just don't expect me to support it. 

I'm fine with people using whatever language they see fit to express themselves but one thing I absolutely cannot stand is people attempting to impose their opinions and preferences onto others, potentially to their detriment, or the attitudes and beliefs which allow someone to do that to others and think that it's okay, especially when it concerns highly subjective things such as we have discussed in this thread. 

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 25 of 46
by: holier_than_thou
on: 14/10/2018 | 16:54
If reporting posts as pointless is "frowned" upon, then why did a moderator say this, as stated in this thread?

👇

"We're not in the business of just putting any old crap up just because it gets clicks"

If "any old crap" doesn't mean pointless, then what does it mean exactly?

And i don't agree with people posting over and over about their health woes. Never mind children possibly seeing foul language, what about seeing "i've tried to kill myself on a number of occasions", or "i self harm".

That's much worse than the odd **bleep** scattered about.
Message 26 of 46
on: 14/10/2018 | 17:08

@holier_than_thou wrote:

If reporting posts as pointless is "frowned" upon, then why did a moderator say this, as stated in this thread?

👇

"We're not in the business of just putting any old crap up just because it gets clicks"

Please read Will's post again, he explained it very well. The entry originally referred to was regards a different context to what is being posted in General Discussion. 

And, with regards, to General Discussion, the "value" of each individual post and thread is extremely subjective, what I may see as rubbish others may see as gold and vice versa, (the same applies to every single user, I just used myself as the example to avoid anyone feeling like I was "calling them out"). 

This place would be a lot friendlier if everyone simply adopted a live and let live attitude, to the content of others.

By all means, if someone opens up a discussion specific to one of your gripes, (as the poster I've been responding to most recently did), by all means engage and share your opinions, but if they are just minding their own business and doing what makes them happy, within the Code of Conduct, just leave them be. 

All this constant "calling out" and reporting of others content for editorial purposes, based on personal preferences is gonna do is make the targets of it feel like crap. 

Is doing that to someone really worth it when we can just click away?

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 27 of 46
Highlighted
by: holier_than_thou
on: 14/10/2018 | 17:15
I read it and understood it perfectly, thank you.

For some reason you seem to think only your opinion matters and everyone else should either agree with you or just **bleep** off out of the thread.

Not cool 'dude', not cool at all.
Message 28 of 46
on: 14/10/2018 | 17:56 edited: 14/10/2018 | 18:03

@holier_than_thou people can take my opinions on board, in full/part or they can ignore them entirely, I really don't care, it's entirely their choice, (they're just opinions after all), but thanks for that ad hominem aside.

My Public GDrive Folder
Message 29 of 46
by: geu42
on: 16/10/2018 | 15:33
Well I just reported a game in GD and asked for it to be moved to the correct forum. I hope I won't get in trouble for it, but why have different forums/boards if we're not supposed to report stuff like that?
Message 30 of 46