Contradictions

Started by: natty_noo
On: 09/10/2018 | 21:54
Replies: 45

by: 4128334
on: 16/10/2018 | 15:51
@geu42
Good Afternoon,
No problem reporting a Post that is in the wrong Thread.
After reading this Thread read I asked an Educator and the reply was pointing out Posts that should be moved to a more suitable Thread is encouraged.
So no worries.
Have a Great Evening.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 31 of 46
by: geu42
on: 16/10/2018 | 15:53
Thank you @4128334 , very kind of you to let me know.
Message 32 of 46
by: 4128334
on: 16/10/2018 | 16:01
@geu42
Good Afternoon,
No problem.
I got in touch with Educator as I was a bit worried.
Take care my Friend
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 33 of 46
by: munglespoon
on: 22/10/2018 | 14:47

I understand what you mean and find that I am often getting confused messages from different people or even from the same people when they send me more than one message. I understand that I am not allowed to discuss the content or nature of the educator conversation so it is difficult for me to explain what I mean. What I will say is that I only report to ask for messages to be moved to areas where they may be more fitting to sit.

Message 34 of 46
by: magspider
on: 26/10/2018 | 13:23 edited: 26/10/2018 | 13:24

Despite being in exile from this saintly place I had this thread sign posted to me and came back to add a few thoughts.

Firstly, it's pretty authoritarian that the first draft of this thread was removed and the member 'educated' on redrafting in a manner that satisfied the ruling elite was more acceptable.

The contradictions? Well just take a look around. The community rules clearly stipulate measures of quality, encourage participation, and highlight how responses must 'add to the debate'. An educator has even spoken out against the 'any old crap' that's posted.

Yet still we are left with threads starting with a single word, and pointless memes lifted from elsewhere.

The reason, as I see it, is the lack of interest and engagement from the education team. Many of the recent crop of WFH educators have their background in the help and information areas of the site. They never bothered with General Discussion so neither understand what purpose it serves, nor have any interest in it. Hence, excuses about people needing the freedom to engage any way they see fit, even if it's to contribute an emoji or the thought fragment that 'they're bored', abound.

On top of this there is no effort expended to articulate or showcase what they want General Discussion to be. Staff only drop in to threads they've had reported to them, or start discussions about a recent promotion. The idea that a community will just 'spring up' with no seeding effort is fanciful.

Anyway, I'll go no further because this will inevitably be deleted by the bourgeoisie within a couple of hours.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 35 of 46
by: natty_noo
on: 26/10/2018 | 20:05
Thanks for joining the thread @magspider , it's nice to see you back, and you're right in what you're saying.

I'll give you an example of just one contradiction/inconsistency. People making threads for their 'giffgaff birthday', i ask for them to be moved to the Achievements thread because, after all, that thread is supposedly for 'everything giffgaff related'.

But depending on who's on shift i'll get different replies, most Ed's will merge them because yes, that's where they're supposed to go, but here's where they then contradict each other, because at least one refuses to merge them and says it's 'fine' to make separate threads for their 'giffgaff birthday'.

So i've pointed out the irony of that, by emphasising the fact that it's their 'giffgaff birthday', so should be in the allocated thread.

No idea what the exact rule on this is, but considering all the other WFH Ed's merge them, i'd say majority should rule.
Message 36 of 46
by: davidevans0000
on: 27/10/2018 | 11:13
thought the achievements thread was for ranking up cant think I have ever seen birthdays and if there is some it's no good better in GD. then the members can wish them a happy birthday wherein achievements they would just get lost with the members congratulating new member ranking up.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 37 of 46
on: 27/10/2018 | 11:45
@davidevans0000

I think by giffgaff birthday they mean how many years they've been a customer of giffgaff. I don't think, imo, that warrants a separate thread for people to say happy birthday in. Now their own personal yearly birthday, as in age, then obviously there's no problem making a thread for that.

But a giffgaff birthday should be in the achievements thread. But that's just my take on it Smiley Happy
Message 38 of 46
by: davidevans0000
on: 27/10/2018 | 11:50 edited: 27/10/2018 | 11:52

@geu42 that's your opinion I gave mine nothing is changing just business as normal on the forum.{ edit typo

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 39 of 46
on: 27/10/2018 | 11:59
How many people celebrate their other 'utility supplier birthdays' i wonder? Do they say it's my >insert gas/electric/ supplier name< birthday?

I don't understand the mentality of celebrating a so called 'giffgaff birthday', but even more bizarre is to want to actually say happy birthday to them.

The mind boggles.
Message 40 of 46