Knowledge Base
Community

Coverage

Started by: dumdumlala
On: 07/09/2015 | 21:08
Replies: 21

by: dumdumlala
on: 07/09/2015 | 21:08

I upgraded my package a couple of months ago as I was going to be out and about more instead of working from home. 

So far I haven't got close to using my pre paid for 3G allowance because most of the time it doesn't actually work: it's mostly on gprs/E, and when the 3G appears, it's painfully slow, or just gives up. 

This has happened in all the places I've been needing it - ironically the place it works best is home.

Massivly dissapointed in Giffgaff/O2, and leaving as soon as I get time to do some research into who gives decent  3G coverage.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 22
by: pawelm4778
on: 07/09/2015 | 21:55
Hi,
First check services in your area:
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates/Service-Checker-and-Planned-Mast-Maintenance/td-p/4...
Restart your phone ( take battery out if possible) and switch on after 5 minutes.
Make a manual roam:
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Manual-Roam/m-p/3345471
If doesn't help check your sim in another unlocked or locked to O2 phone. If it works your phone is the issue ( reset to factory settings after you make a back up) if doesn't work order a new sim and make a sim swap:https://giffgaff.com/support/sim-and-number/change-your-sim
Hope it helps
If doesn't find new operator
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 22
by: foolish
on: 07/09/2015 | 22:05

I rarely get good speeds when out and about, or at home for that matter. I find myself relying on wifi through the BT app when I can find a link.Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 22
by: leonidas14
on: 08/09/2015 | 05:22

This is a common problem and has been discussed in the past on various boards.  I find that I rarely get 3g so the 4g experience is not something I will expect anytime soon!

Mushrooms thrive in the dark . . .
Message 4 of 22
by: exmember-2018-4735772
on: 08/09/2015 | 07:18
had similar issues when out and about, occassionally buying some limited data but simply can not use it
Message 5 of 22
by: inspiron42
on: 08/09/2015 | 08:04
I am looking forward to the double disappointment of not getting 4G or 3G. It is time all networks started providing data coverage.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 22
by: navvy
on: 08/09/2015 | 08:05
It may be worth trying setting the phone to use 3G only, so that it cannot switch down to 2G when the data fails to respond.

This will work well in marginal areas, but means you get no service at all in the many areas where O2 are the only company with only 2G coverage.

The simplest solution seems to be to carry a MiFi device on a different network (EE or Three) that can be switched on whenever giffgaff data is unusable.

I don't know whether there is any way to get a phone to automatically use mobile data in preference to WiFi, but to switch automatically whenever needed.

It's really annoying to find I've accidentally been using my small Three allowance on the giffgaff community when I have a much larger giffgaff allowance that won't get fully used.
Message 7 of 22
by: dumdumlala
on: 08/09/2015 | 10:24
Thanks for the replies.

O2 says 3G coverage where I need it should be good, that's obviously not correct. I'm not sure I believe any of them, so have started to ask around. So far EE seems the best for the area I need it: looking at the options now.

Thanks.
Message 8 of 22
by: allan1954
on: 08/09/2015 | 10:42
sorry to see you go good luck on the new network.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 22
by: navvy
on: 09/09/2015 | 07:58
@dumdumlala
One thing that hasn't been asked is what phone you are using? Does it support 3G on 900MHz as well as on 2100MHz?

On the Coverage Checker in 3G mode there is a link for "older phones" which shows the coverage without 3G900.

This could be the reason you are not getting as good coverage as claimed by the prediction map.

EE and Three only uses 3G2100 so the phone would give better coverage on their networks.
Message 10 of 22