Knowledge Base
Community

Data usage erroneously charged to the following day

Started by: nfh
On: 05/01/2015 | 09:31
Replies: 23

by: nfh
on: 05/01/2015 | 09:31

My 3GB 4G goodbag expired last night, so before turning off mobile data by midnight, I did some speed tests with some of my unused data allowance between 23:55 and 23:58. The purpose was twofold:

1. To verify that a bug whereby data usage is erroneously charged to the following day was fixed.
  2. To test 4G data speeds in central London at an off-peak time.

I turned off mobile data at 23:59 and did not use any chargeable services after that time. My balance was £154.14 before I carried out the speed tests but had dropped to £153.17 this morning. This suggests that the bug has not been fixed because some of the data used by the speed tests has been charged to today at PAYG prices when my mobile data has been switched off. My clocks are correctly synchronised with time servers, so incorrect clocks were not the cause.

Obviously I will contact an agent to get the small amount refunded, but I nevertheless need to report that this bug has not been fixed and will undoubtedly be affecting a lot of customers, usually without their knowledge given that giffgaff continues to hide usage history from its customers.

For those interested, the results of the speed test were:

Message 1 of 24
by: rhodeatlas
on: 05/01/2015 | 09:36
I was under impression speed test uses data?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 24
on: 05/01/2015 | 09:44

@rhodeatlas wrote:
I was under impression speed test uses data?

Yes. You're very perceptive. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 24
Highlighted
by: gindygoo
on: 05/01/2015 | 10:00
This has been going on for a long time now, I reported it... Last year, early last year.

It's not just data that does it either, it's your mins and texts too, if it's still in fact the same "bug"

C xx
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 24
by: ian011
on: 05/01/2015 | 10:18

This seems to be the ongoing story of giffgaff - price errors, billing errors and various glitches that carry on year after year with no sign of being fixed. There seems to be plenty of resources available for writing blog posts, arranging to sponsor TV shows and set up gaming platforms but almost none for fixing the core things that make the network actually work properly.

Message 5 of 24
on: 05/01/2015 | 10:37

Just to make things worse, I can't even submit a ticket to an agent. Each time I do so, I get an error in a pink bar followed by a red exclamation mark:

"There were problems creating your incident"

It takes me back to the beginning of the ticket submission and loses the text that I entered. I've tried various categories but I get the same error each time.

Message 6 of 24
by: harrymcspider
on: 05/01/2015 | 10:42

@ian011  wrote:"This seems to be the ongoing story of giffgaff - price errors, billing errors and various glitches that carry on year after year with no sign of being fixed."

Probably helps the bottom line...  Many wouldn't notice or argue over a few pence of pounds here and there.  I'm sure it all mounts up.

Message 7 of 24
on: 05/01/2015 | 10:48

@harrymcspider wrote:

Probably helps the bottom line...  Many wouldn't notice or argue over a few pence of pounds here and there.  I'm sure it all mounts up.

I think you're spot-on. If this was acceptable, one could take the same argument with employees of shops occasionally stealing the odd item or with an occasional fare dodger on public transport. Knowingly depriving consumers of their money when the amount is not due is a disingenuous practice which must stop immediately. Helping the bottom line is no excuse.

Message 8 of 24
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 05/01/2015 | 11:12
Morning @nfh

It's definitely not intentional. I've spoken with a guy from tech and we're aware of a similar problem, but not this exact one. I'll raise a formal bug ticket with them so that they can look into it properly.

You should still raise a case with an agent though, so that they can fix the over charging. If you keep having trouble getting through the form then ask one of the eds to help.

All the best,

Will
Former Community Manager 
Message 9 of 24
on: 05/01/2015 | 11:17

@will23 wrote:
It's definitely not intentional. I've spoken with a guy from tech and we're aware of a similar problem, but not this exact one. I'll raise a formal bug ticket with them so that they can look into it properly.

@will23  - Thanks for picking up on this. I know it's not intentional but it is nevertheless allowed knowingly to continue. Will everyone affected be automatically given retrospective refunds? This could be achieved by querying the relevant databases to find all instances where this has occurred.

Message 10 of 24