Knowledge Base
Community

Delay with notifications, glitch?

Started by: holier_than_thou
On: 06/12/2018 | 22:26
Replies: 42

by: holier_than_thou
on: 09/12/2018 | 22:51
@mentions and email notifications are still 35/40 minutes delayed.
Message 21 of 43
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 09/12/2018 | 23:42
Confirmed, they're all out of kilter still, (or again, they did seem to be getting better at one point but now seem worse than ever).

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 22 of 43
by: masterluke
on: 10/12/2018 | 09:24

It has been the other way around for me, notifications but the posts relating to the notifications don't show until about 10 mins later. Very strange.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 23 of 43
by: natty_noo
on: 10/12/2018 | 13:14
Have you been made aware of this ongoing glitch @alex_w ? It's been happening since the outage.
Message 24 of 43
on: 10/12/2018 | 13:59

It's getting worse.

I'm getting notifications of kudos but when look they're not there. Just had another do exactly the same, the post in question still shows one kudo but when i click on it it's showing 2.

Screenshot_2018-12-10-13-51-24-1.png

Notification looks fine...

Screenshot_2018-12-10-13-49-50-1.png

But when you go to the post it still shows one.

Screenshot_2018-12-10-13-49-31-1.png

But click on the kudo itself and it's showing the 2.

It's getting more bizarre by the day 😕

Message 25 of 43
by: pault1974
on: 10/12/2018 | 16:17

Yup @natty_noo I've seen that as well Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 43
by: thunderdragon
on: 10/12/2018 | 19:13 edited: 10/12/2018 | 19:19
Hi, @holier_than_thou! \m/ >:-)
I think it's just to do with backend slowdown owing to sheer user volume, as @k89bpa previously pointed out. I noticed that - If I have Java5cript enabled (Not often, in my case) - I receive "Phantom" notifications which increment the number shown on the bell, but opening notifications shows nothing new being highlighted. At a guess, I might reading new items on the notifications page whilst the forum is still in the process of "sending" them to my browser. Smiley Happy

As a general rule, I find disabling Java5cript leads to some performance improvements at the user end. The only things to remember are that the Internet looks and works very differently with J5 turned off - The Kudos, BA and post formatting tools here don't work at all (For example) - And it's recommended more as a power-user option as a result. In addition, it can also shift burden onto the back-end, which might not be helpful when the Community is under heavy load. Smiley Surprised

Granted, Lithium is well designed for large-scale applications like this (The O2 forums and many others use it too) but a big part of the equation lies in the hardware and connectivity GG are running it on, which I'm guessing might be an Amazon EC2 or CloudFlare solution rather than their own physical equipment.
I can't speak from experience in running modern forums as the last forum engine I wrote was for IIS 4.0 (Wayyy old! Smiley Tongue ) and was vulnerable to all sorts of attacks, but I can certainly tell you - Without fear of contradiction - That my beloved 320km/h TGVs will only achieve those speeds on purpose-built high-speed lines. Route one onto a Ligne Classique and it's not going any faster than 140km/h, no matter how much power or Thunder it might be able to deliver! \m/ Smiley Wink

The forum'll get back to normal soon, once the fall-out from the outage starts to die down in the coming days... Smiley Happy
+++ ThunderDragon +++

N.B: To avoid tripping known alert filters unnecessarily, the word "Java5cript" has been deliberately misspelt. If replying, please remember to do the same in your post too. Many thanks! Smiley Happy
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 27 of 43
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 12/12/2018 | 15:53

@natty_noo wrote:

Have you been made aware of this ongoing glitch @alex_w ? It's been happening since the outage.

Apologies for the delay - yes, we're aware. Unfortunately, I've been out of action for a few days with norovirus Smiley Sad.

Nevertheless, we've alerted Lithium of the issues we've been having. We do believe it's due to the high load we had last week, and may be linked to a longer running issues we've had with intermittent problems with PMs not sending properly.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 28 of 43
on: 12/12/2018 | 18:00
Sorry to hear you've been poorly @alex_w , hope you're feeling better now.

Thanks for the info, fingers crossed it's sorted out soon Smiley Happy
Message 29 of 43
by: brulaw
on: 12/12/2018 | 18:41

@alex_w

Thanks for clarifying things  , sorry to hear that you've been unwell  , hope you make a speedy recovery in time to enjoy the comming festivities . 

big-grin.gif Christmas is on the way  .......  Happy giffgaffing  everyone thumbup.gif    

Message 30 of 43