Knowledge Base
Community

Do you ever run low on data? (Part of the Lean UX workshop)

Started by: riikka_gg
On: 15/01/2019 | 12:41
Replies: 28

by: pete2009
on: 17/01/2019 | 21:25

Hi,

We need the option to stop it automatically going on to use credit.

This unexpectedly happened to me that once my data had been used I then lost all my credit.

Maybe some a warning once data gets to a certain level.

Message 21 of 29
by: doricom
on: 17/01/2019 | 22:49 edited: 17/01/2019 | 23:04

@riikka_gg wrote:

Hi @doricom, thanks a lot for sharing! This has been coming up before as you mentioned, we're working on how to solve it.

You said that "A sms informing about that would also be helpful" – do you mean you'd like to get an sms warning before your goodybag is completely out of data? Or have you not received an SMS at all?

I meant that I would like to get a sms that says something like “Your credit is now being used for data”

Nevermind, just checked my messages history and realised that I have received a smiliar sms.

If a post has answered your question please click on "Set as Best Answer"
Please give Kudos to any posts you think were helpful or made a good point.
Message 22 of 29
by: janny27
on: 18/01/2019 | 08:37

I have on occasion run out of data and been very grateful when when the free data kicked in, the messages advising of low data are useful. Generally I have run out/low on data because I have been away from home for a while (we're caravanners and retired!) I do try to choose an appropriate goody bag depending on our travel plans. Personally I would be happy if a new goody bag could automatically start when out of data.

Message 23 of 29
by: riikka_gg
handy giff-staffer

on: 18/01/2019 | 15:50
Hi @janny27, lovely to hear that you value the 1GB extra data! Also thank you very much for sharing the reasons behind why you sometimes run out and what you do to manage that! Sometimes new ideas emerge around detailed experiences like this, so they are very valuable for us.

Would you like the next goodybag to start automatically every time you run out of data (kind of like a recurring goodybag, just that it would kick in when you've used all of your data instead of after the previous one has expired)? Or would you want to launch this queueing effect manually whenever you're running low?
giffgaff Product Designer
Message 24 of 29
by: as7861
on: 18/01/2019 | 16:38 edited: 18/01/2019 | 16:40

Hi @riikka_gg

I have listed my answers below, forgive me if its not formatted correctly as im answer while on mobile.

1. How did you learn that data was running low? What was your first reaction? Did you think it was a problem?

When I did have the goodybag, it was a text message that prompted me. Its the 1GB extra one hehe. It was really good. 

1.  Was it clear for you what your options were in that situation? What did you do next? How did you go about that and how did it work for you?

Yea it was fairly good, however giving a prompt that a upgrading a goodybag next month might be better for the person. 

1. Has this happened to you more than once? How does that make you feel?

Yep it happened quite few times and it made me feel i was being informed Smiley Happy

1.  Has running out of data made you change your behaviour in some ways?

Yep, it allowed me to reduce my data usage by using wifi more often (however i am connected to wifi 60% of time, through different hotspots)

1.  Is there anything in general that you’d like to point out about running out of data? Any problems you’ve encountered, any ideas, questions or suggestions you might have?

The ideas has suggested before Smiley Happy 

Yea i would be more than happy to tale part in chat over the phone Smiley Happy 

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 25 of 29
by: janny27
on: 18/01/2019 | 16:58
I would be quite happy for a new goody bag to start automatically but would like a notification saying I was running low. I could then queue the approriate goody bag depending on my needs.
Message 26 of 29
by: claire1uk
on: 18/01/2019 | 23:54

Hello @riikka_gg.

I've found it very frustrating to have run low on data, but having plenty of texts and call minutes, not wanting to start my next goody bag earlier. It's a waste if money when your watching the pennies. 

Whilst I was away in 2018, in the UK, I had to use my data if the WiFi connection was very weak whereever i was, hence I ran out. 

I didn't receive a text to alert me to the fact it was getting low. 

I use my data a fair bit when I use my sat nav and have to ensure I have enough data to cover my journey after that happening. 

I had alot of problems with data connection on holiday last year and I was ready to move providers when I got back home. 

Message 27 of 29
handy giff-staffer

on: 21/01/2019 | 09:22
Hi @as7861, thank you very much for sharing! I'll make a note of you potentially being available for a further chat Smiley Happy
Message 28 of 29
Highlighted
handy giff-staffer

on: 21/01/2019 | 10:39
Hi @claire1uk, thanks a lot for sharing this and sorry to hear about the problems you've had!

May I ask which goodybag you're on?
Message 29 of 29