Knowledge Base
Community

Do you ever run low on data? (Part of the Lean UX workshop)

Started by: riikka_gg
On: 15/01/2019 | 12:41
Replies: 28

by: riikka_gg
handy giff-staffer

on: 15/01/2019 | 12:41 edited: 17/01/2019 | 18:10

Hi everyone! It’s Riikka here, I’m one of the product designers here at giffgaff. Me and my team are working on making goodybags and credit easier to understand and use.

Right now, we’re focusing on situations where our members run out of data before the expiry date of their current goodybag. We’d like to know how that affects members and what would be the best ways to tackle this.

Have you ever run out of (or low on) data? If you have, we’d really appreciate you taking the time to tell us a bit more about your experience!

We’d be particularly interested in these things (you can only answer to some if you want to):

1. How did you learn that data was running low? What was your first reaction? Did you think it was a problem?
  2.  Was it clear for you what your options were in that situation? What did you do next? How did you go about that and how did it work for you?
  3. Has this happened to you more than once? How does that make you feel?
  4.  Has running out of data made you change your behaviour in some ways?
  5.  Is there anything in general that you’d like to point out about running out of data? Any problems you’ve encountered, any ideas, questions or suggestions you might have?

Thanks so much in advance to everyone who wants to help! We want everyone to be on the best possible plan for them, and understanding your experience is a big part of making that happen.

Cheers,

Riikka

PS: if you’d be willing to have a little chat around this over the phone in the near future, please let me know!

giffgaff Product Designer
Message 1 of 29
by: giffgaff20147
on: 15/01/2019 | 15:25

@riikka_gg

Hello the only things I would like to mention,

its one thing running out of data but it needs a way to stop it using your credit 

some networks take you straight to topup/goodybag page to stop your credit going ,

you get the 80% notice fine but then when you run out of data by the time giffgaff update you credit has gone 

I am on top of data all time but on help section it’s always causing problems for members 

Message 2 of 29
handy giff-staffer

on: 15/01/2019 | 17:07
Thanks a lot @giffgaff20147, that's a really good point!

Do you have any examples in mind of what would be a better solution? Just an earlier notification with a reminder about possible credit usage, or a way to stop credit from going altogether?
Message 3 of 29
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 15/01/2019 | 17:07

@riikka_gg ive only ever used up my main data allowance twice and gone into my 1GB extra data 

I do however now make an effort to make maximum use of my data 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 29
handy giff-staffer

on: 15/01/2019 | 17:10
Hi @shabazmoqsud, thanks so much for sharing! Can you remember what made you use all your data on those months? Did something unusual happen, or do you even know why it was?
Message 5 of 29
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 15/01/2019 | 17:14

@riikka_gg wrote:

Hi @shabazmoqsud, thanks so much for sharing! Can you remember what made you use all your data on those months? Did something unusual happen, or do you even know why it was?

@riikka_gg one month it was a software update on my phone the other month and more frequently now is use of social media and youtube as my wifi not so good at home currently.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 29
handy giff-staffer

on: 15/01/2019 | 17:19
Thanks, this is really valuable stuff for us to know!
Message 7 of 29
by: giffgaff20147
on: 15/01/2019 | 17:30

@riikka_gg

Wrote Do you have any examples in mind of what would be a better solution? Just an earlier notification with a reminder about possible credit usage, or a way to stop credit from going altogether?

i would to see data just stop but that may not suit everyone who are happy to use credit 

possibly a message as soon as you reach 100mb something like ( you can now start new goodybag early to avoid credit use )

it would cut cut down on agent referrals loss of credit 

Message 8 of 29
by: harrrrrry
on: 16/01/2019 | 08:22

@riikka_gg

Is there anything in general that you’d like to point out about running out of data? Any problems you’ve encountered, any ideas, questions or suggestions you might have?

As a retired IT manager I had no difficulty figuring out what to do when out of data. But its only necessary to spend some time answering Help questions to see that the general public has a completely different experience.

"I topped up my goodybag" is a statement we frequently see there. Every time we see it, it's evidence that the member has experienced a wholly unnecessary problem due to not understanding the difference between a goodybag and PAYG credit. In many cases, the member "tops up" their "goodybag" with a £20 credit but nowhere in the process does it remind  the member that adding credit does not buy a goodybag. So after using just a few megabytes of data their credit is zero

"I topped up my credit intending to buy a goodybag" does at least imply that the member understands the difference between credit and a goodybag, but we know immediately that the member has hit the problem that every member doing that will hit sooner or later -- that their phone will use a penny or two of their credit before they are able to buy the goodybag, so their goodybag purchase will fail.

Observations:

• There's no shortage of information about the difference between goodybags and credit, but it's not in the right place -- it's not on the topup page https://giffgaff.com/top-up , where it needs to be
  • It's less easy to find the recommendation that it's strongly inadvisable to add credit if the intention is to use the full value of that credit to buy a goodybag. I've mentioned it in a number of help posts but its not in the right place -- it's not on the topup page https://giffgaff.com/top-up , where it needs to be

Hence https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712751/encourage-users-to-buy-goodybags-without-adding-credit-first which, if implemented, would stand a chance of catching most of those errors before they happen.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 9 of 29
handy giff-staffer

on: 16/01/2019 | 09:27
Thanks a lot @harrrrrry !

Clarifying the difference between credit and goodybags as well as solving the "1 penny problem" are both on our team's to do list, and we'll definitely make note of your observations and the potential solutions you're suggesting.

Members who run out of data before the expiry date of their goodybag have managed to purchase one. But it's still entirely possible that for at least some of these members the root cause of running out of data is related to them not fully understanding what goodybags and credit are and how they work, so we'll keep this perspective in mind as we're working to solve the 0 data problem.
Message 10 of 29