Knowledge Base
Community

Duplicate member name different member ID's !

Started by: endorphin
On: 30/12/2016 | 10:48
Replies: 50
Reply

Go to best answer
by: pault1974
on: 02/01/2017 | 07:51

claw wrote:

 

pault1974 wrote:

 

claw wrote:

 

@endorphin

 

I wonder if what is actually going on here is that a bot has created the two accounts, somehow managed to create the same looking useraname and is using some sort of program to post. And instead of the usual spam this is posting gibberish to try and earn payback. Smiley Surprised

@claw

The member that I mentioned in this post that also has a duplicate member name but two member ids seems to be a genuine member and not some sort of 'bot'.  Very confusing. Smiley Frustrated

 

@pault1974 Hmm true. There has to be some sort of explanation.

 

Interesting points are that both sets of accounts were created in the same minute and end with a 4 digit number. I can't see them being made manually. But the ones you pointed out do seem to have normal posts (not written by a machine.)

 

@claw

I did wonder whether it may be caused by the same "glitch" that causes duplicate posts but in this case duplicate community profiles have somehow been created?  

 

Maybe it's caused by the members themselves by managing to double click the create account button or by the members browser resubmitting the http request for some reason (not getting a response in a certain time frame due to slowness of the site)?

 

Who knows, not me that's for sure? Smiley LOL

Message 41 of 51
by: claw
on: 02/01/2017 | 07:56

pault1974 wrote:

 

claw wrote:

 

pault1974 wrote:

 

claw wrote:

 

@endorphin

 

I wonder if what is actually going on here is that a bot has created the two accounts, somehow managed to create the same looking useraname and is using some sort of program to post. And instead of the usual spam this is posting gibberish to try and earn payback. Smiley Surprised

@claw

The member that I mentioned in this post that also has a duplicate member name but two member ids seems to be a genuine member and not some sort of 'bot'.  Very confusing. Smiley Frustrated

 

@pault1974 Hmm true. There has to be some sort of explanation.

 

Interesting points are that both sets of accounts were created in the same minute and end with a 4 digit number. I can't see them being made manually. But the ones you pointed out do seem to have normal posts (not written by a machine.)

 

@claw

I did wonder whether it may be caused by the same "glitch" that causes duplicate posts but in this case duplicate community profiles have somehow been created?  

 

Maybe it's caused by the members themselves by managing to double click the create account button or by the members browser resubmitting the http request for some reason (not getting a response in a certain time frame due to slowness of the site)?

 

Who knows, not me that's for sure? Smiley LOL

 

@pault1974 I did think that too but I don't think so - I think the server side would stop that happening due to the usernames being exactly the same. I'd love to see it from giffgaffs side (I do wonder if they will share the details with us, but probably not understandably.)

 

I remember years ago there was this thing on here where you would post on a thread in help and someone would copy and paste your exact post and repost it under their username as their reply (in the exact same thread.) I didn't think to report it or post a thread about it, and am not sure if it still happens. But I wonder if it is in anyway connected.

 

Anyway I've been trying but failing to make a duplicate claw account lol xD

Message 42 of 51
by: pault1974
on: 02/01/2017 | 08:08

claw wrote:

@pault1974 I did think that too but I don't think so - I think the server side would stop that happening due to the usernames being exactly the same. I'd love to see it from giffgaffs side (I do wonder if they will share the details with us, but probably not understandably.)

@claw

It may stop it on the giffgaff account but not the community profile.  Someone may have decided (wrongly) that if you can not have a duplicate membername for your giffgaff account then there is not point in having a constraint on the membername for the community profile.

 

We will probably never know though as, like you said, giffgaff will probably not share that sort of information.

 

 

Message 43 of 51
by: navvy
on: 02/01/2017 | 09:55

pault1974 wrote:

 

premierphotosuk wrote:

 

pault1974 wrote:

 

Heres another:

staceydan2468.jpg

 

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8325456

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8325457

 

 

 

 

 

 

@pault1974 Good find, this is very very strange it looks like this really needs looking in to by giffgaff, will anymore appear like these above.?

 

Again these are like the last ones, registered both ‎18-10-2016 16:41 and within the same minute.

 

IMG_0825.PNG

 

 

IMG_0826.PNG

 

 

Smiley Frustrated

 

@premierphotosuk

 

I remember this particular member posting this thread in H&S back in November about her ranks going up and down and she did'nt know why.  I did notice back then that she seemed to have two different member IDs (and posted so on that thread) but then completely forgot about it.Smiley Embarassed

 

Seemed (at the time) that if might be completely random as to which community profile she was 'logged' in as when she logged in to her account. Very strange. Smiley Indifferent

 

 

 

 

 

I think we should invite @stacydan2468-dupe and @stacydan2468 to take part in this discussion.

 

When I used @ to mention her, both identical names appeared in the menu, with the same icon picture.

 

She reported this problem as arising only when the forum display was changed, though the two accounts might have existed before then?

 

Message 44 of 51
by: endorphin
on: 02/01/2017 | 11:58
I think this issue is caused by a subtle timing error between the giffgaff servers and the community servers. So subtle that there's only been the two instances reported here.

I gather when an account is created on the giffgaff servers (member name) a corresponding account is created on the community servers (member ID) and normally there is a 1:1 correspondence. But there could be a set of circumstances (eg accidentally pressing twice on the Submit button in quick succession when the community is running slowly) that leads to two community IDs being created for the one member name. It would be constructive to see which member ID (first or second) the duplicated member name gets when they log on.
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £10 credit
Message 45 of 51
by: navvy
on: 02/01/2017 | 21:57

endorphin wrote:

I think this issue is caused by a subtle timing error between the giffgaff servers and the community servers. So subtle that there's only been the two instances reported here.

I gather when an account is created on the giffgaff servers (member name) a corresponding account is created on the community servers (member ID) and normally there is a 1:1 correspondence. But there could be a set of circumstances (eg accidentally pressing twice on the Submit button in quick succession when the community is running slowly) that leads to two community IDs being created for the one member name. It would be constructive to see which member ID (first or second) the duplicated member name gets when they log on.

If they login using the phone number, I would expect it to reliably use only one account, but if logging in with the duplicated membername it could be either account.  Might make a difference whether the member is following a link from a notification email, or logging in directly.

 

There were some problems with the indexing of the forum database when the new format started, and maybe this caused the system to start using the other forum identity, which had been previously unused.

 

Message 46 of 51
by: endorphin
on: 03/01/2017 | 10:27 edited: 03/01/2017 | 10:43

navvy wrote:


There were some problems with the indexing of the forum database when the new format started, and maybe this caused the system to start using the other forum identity, which had been previously unused.

Nice try but no cigar. The member I refer to in the OP joined the community on 30 Dec 2016 long after the new format was deployed however I don't know when they joined giffgaff.

 

But yes, it does smack of a database error of some sort.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £10 credit
Message 47 of 51
by: stacydan2468
on: 03/01/2017 | 10:51

endorphin wrote:

 

In this thread https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/pipusek2308-has-a-question-about-the-Huawei-P9/m-p/19...

 

There are posts by two apparently different members who have the same membername of pipusek2308

 

Untitled-1.jpg

 

Untitled-2.jpg

 

 

the first one has a member ID of https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8611546 and the second https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8611547

 

This has to be a database error of some sort!?

 

@navvy

Hi yes I do not really even understand what's being said here but my ranking was going up and down almost hourly at one point and was very frustrating as it would happen after I had posted in the "acknowledgement" thread that I had ranked up ,only to look like I had made it up .

So as for anything else I have no idea how or why only that the website changed and it had Not happened before that.

I did report though had no replies but it does seem to of been sorted now ,I Think ?

Message 48 of 51
by: _kara_
community giff-staffer

on: 03/01/2017 | 18:42
@endorphin
I have passed this on to @timo_t and he is looking into it. Thanks for spotting it.

Also thanks to @navvy for reporting it to me.

giffgaff Educator

Message 49 of 51
Highlighted
by: timo_t
former giff-staffer

on: 04/01/2017 | 09:10
Hey all - Lithium are investigating the issue here and appear to have discovered a bug. Thanks for the report!
Message 50 of 51