Knowledge Base
Community

EE rolling out mesh LTE netrwork in rural areas

Started by: stephenmiller
On: 02/12/2014 | 21:10
Replies: 4

by: stephenmiller
on: 02/12/2014 | 21:10 edited: 02/12/2014 | 21:11

This is a great technology story. I'm a huge fan of mesh networks and this is just stunning to see, cole to being my technology story of the year.

Groundbreaking new EE micro network set to benefit rural communities

To break it down you have a single base-station (here called the gateway node) connected to the backhaul (the bit that talks to the rest of the EE network) that sends out a signal like any other cell tower, only with the mesh when the signal reaches one of the repeater nodes it it of course repeats it. Effectively doubling the range. You can see from the image below that the signal is repeated more than once so the effective range of the ad-hoc network is pretty far.

Screenshot from a video from Parallel Wireless showing the the backhaul and gateway node along with the network repeaters.

The EE video on it

And the company behind the technology Parallel Wireless and an overview video of the wireless mesh system.

Parallel Wireless converged wireless system

Massively exciting technology. I want some of that gear!

Message 1 of 5
by: ma2013
on: 02/12/2014 | 21:15
Very interesting, didn't know this tech was being rolled out, glad to see they're starting to do something for rural areas! ☺😀
If I've been helpful, feel free to award Kudos / Mark As Accepted Solution to posts. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 5
by: bacc
on: 02/12/2014 | 21:17
that's going to benefit a lot of people. All networks should be doing it
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 5
by: stephenmiller
on: 02/12/2014 | 21:24 edited: 02/12/2014 | 21:25

@ma2013 wrote:
Very interesting, didn't know this tech was being rolled out, glad to see they're starting to do something for rural areas! ☺😀

I've seen stuff like it before in disaster areas. I think it was hurricane Katrina the emergency services set up the gateway node on top of a building but instead having big antenna repeaters they used peoples phones to repeat the signal so it'd stretch for as long as people had phones or until the signal deteriorated. With the EE ones they'll have amplification in every repeater to keep the signal as strong as possible; which you can't do with a phone obviously.

Message 4 of 5
by: inspiron42
on: 03/12/2014 | 08:07
It is about time that mobile became truly mobile.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 5