Community

EU Internet Issues

Started by: giovannacargius1
On: 17/07/2018 | 17:04
Replies: 11

Go to best answer
by: giovannacargius1
on: 17/07/2018 | 17:04

Not sure about anyone else, but everytime i go abroad, i somehow use all my data (i have unlimited usage) but over 9GB and it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces my speed - aka i do not have ANY internet when abroad.

It's become such a nussance and inconveinience that i've decided to leave GiffGaff.

I tried to talk to the 'helpdesk' about it but they simply refused to take any blame for it and said it would be the local network providers fault.

This needs to be a hot topic for GiffGaff to discuss with their oversea providers, as you cannot promise connection when you have no idea what is happening on the other end.

Obviously they didn't get it at all so they're losing my custom.

Sad as i loved GiffGaff, but until they sort out their EU roaming problem then i'm sure i won't be the last to leave!
Adios!

Message 1 of 12
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: nick74
on: 17/07/2018 | 19:05 edited: 17/07/2018 | 19:06

@giovannacargius1

Did you also have any airtime credit on your account in addition to the Goodybag?

The old £20 Always On Goodybag only included EU roaming up to 9GB. Anything above 9GB was charged from airtime credit at a rate of £0.006 per MB. In the absence of airtime credit data wouldn't just slow down, it would simply stop working altogether. Was that perhaps what you were experiencing?

By the way, the above still applies to the new £25 Goodybag whilst roaming once the first 20GB is used. 

Message 6 of 12
by: nefarius
on: 17/07/2018 | 17:08

As of the 11th of July the £20 goodybag is no longer always on. It is 20gb's at full speed.

The always on goodybag is now £25 and the first 20gb's is at full speed. @giovannacargius1

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 12
by: ungourin
on: 17/07/2018 | 17:14
There's been a bit of a turnaround but yes I was away in Spain and I felt that my data was definitely getting eaten up quicker then why would in the UK but then again I was searching for directions quite a lot
Message 3 of 12
by: muddycalhoun
on: 17/07/2018 | 17:16
Seems like you are not alone with your objections regarding giffgaff and its Achilles heel internet and data speeds. You are seeing it on the forums and hearing it from friends, one said that giffgaff can have the extra gig that was added back if they return to the connection speeds that they were used to having. You are right they will have to sort it out before it becomes an association that sticks
Message 4 of 12
by: slarti
on: 17/07/2018 | 17:30

giovannacargius1 wrote:

Not sure about anyone else, but everytime i go abroad, i somehow use all my data (i have unlimited usage) but over 9GB and it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces my speed - aka i do not have ANY internet when abroad.

It's become such a nussance and inconveinience that i've decided to leave GiffGaff.

I tried to talk to the 'helpdesk' about it but they simply refused to take any blame for it and said it would be the local network providers fault.

This needs to be a hot topic for GiffGaff to discuss with their oversea providers, as you cannot promise connection when you have no idea what is happening on the other end.

Obviously they didn't get it at all so they're losing my custom.

Sad as i loved GiffGaff, but until they sort out their EU roaming problem then i'm sure i won't be the last to leave!
Adios!

Odd, last time I was in Portugal I had the data on when driving, quite a lot and the £10 goody bag was more than enough.

Mind you, the rest of the time, when i wasn't going somewhere new, I was using wifi, same as I always do.

Message 5 of 12
by: nick74
on: 17/07/2018 | 19:05 edited: 17/07/2018 | 19:06

@giovannacargius1

Did you also have any airtime credit on your account in addition to the Goodybag?

The old £20 Always On Goodybag only included EU roaming up to 9GB. Anything above 9GB was charged from airtime credit at a rate of £0.006 per MB. In the absence of airtime credit data wouldn't just slow down, it would simply stop working altogether. Was that perhaps what you were experiencing?

By the way, the above still applies to the new £25 Goodybag whilst roaming once the first 20GB is used. 

Message 6 of 12
by: rickvigorous
on: 18/07/2018 | 08:38
I had fast 4g internet in the Netherlands, so I cant complain. I dont think giffgaff can change anything for overseas, heck, they cannot change anything here in the UK because they are a MVNO!
Just out of intresst, could you tell us where you are going and what you will be paying? @giovannacargius1
Message 7 of 12
on: 18/07/2018 | 14:43 edited: 18/07/2018 | 14:49

Message 8 of 12
on: 18/07/2018 | 14:46 edited: 18/07/2018 | 14:50

Hey @rickvigorous
It's a right pain isn't it!
Going over to Voxi (Vodafone's child company) heard great things, £20 a month, unlimited texts/calls and they've doubled up data for 24 months - so that gets me 30GB (which basically is unlimited unless you stream 13378 films a month) - rolling monthly contract and it's free social media usage- That means you can use Snapchat, Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook Messenger as much as you like, without eating into the general data on your plan - Only issue is you have to be under 30
https://www.voxi.co.uk/plans

Message 9 of 12
on: 18/07/2018 | 14:48

@nick74 I had no idea about any of this? seems like that could have been the culprit.
If that is the case they they need to make sure users are aware as i had no bloody clue!
So really, unlimited/anytime isn't unlimited/anytime when you're abroad, what's the point Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 12