Knowledge Base
Community

Fitguru

Started by: petalpeta
On: 04/08/2018 | 20:49
Replies: 5

by: petalpeta
on: 04/08/2018 | 20:49

Hi, we need to stop companies or individuals just taking £9 from our giffgaff credit. We have that for an emergency when we might need to spend it on calls. 

Now these thieves just take it and nothing can be done. 

This causes great stress and arguments.

We need BBC Watchdog or Piers Morgan to stop unauthorized payment from our callcredits. 

How do we stop this?

Message 1 of 6
by: tazzy19
on: 05/08/2018 | 07:46

@petalpeta

You've somehow been signed up to a premium subscription service, either through inadvertently clicking a link on somewhere like facebook, a link in an email or even a malicious app on your phone 

The priority is to prevent them taking any more of your money, if you have no airtime credit, but only a goodybag, they cannot take these charges, but they will still build up and the charges will be taken next time you add airtime credit, if you simply block them they'll stiil be sent and the charges applied, but you'll have no information as to where the airtime credit is going or that the chargs are building up.

You need to send STOP to the 5 digit number mentioned in the text 64055

You need 10p credit to send the STOP message, but in the message there will be a customer services number which you can call from your goodybag minutes. 0330 223 1099
You can email them to unsubscribe support(at)taptronic.net
It is important that you do send the STOP text or that you get them to unsubscribe you.

You can enter the 5 digit number here http://psauthority.org.uk/about-us/number-checker to find alternative contact methods

See https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Premium-text-charges-do-s-And-don-t-s/m-p/18597940#M14... for more advice on how you became subscribed

Once you've sent the stop text you'll get a successfully unsubscribed message.

Once you are unsubscribed it's time attempt to recover your money, contact them from the subscribed phone, using the help number found in the text, or through the email or website found from the link above.
Explain you never knowingly subscribed and would like a refund of the charges

Taptronic/fitguru
Check a Number - Result
The PSA has the following information about shortcode number:

Customer care number:
0330 223 1099
Customer care email:
support(at)taptronic.net

Message 2 of 6
by: muggles708
on: 05/08/2018 | 08:29 edited: 05/08/2018 | 08:32

@petalpeta wrote:

Hi, we need to stop companies or individuals just taking £9 from our giffgaff credit. We have that for an emergency when we might need to spend it on calls. 

Now these thieves just take it and nothing can be done. 

This causes great stress and arguments.

We need BBC Watchdog or Piers Morgan to stop unauthorized payment from our callcredits. 

How do we stop this?

@petalpeta

Fitguru is a 'Payforit' scam. You should be able to stop the charges by sending a STOP text to 64055 or by phoning on 0330 223 1099

Take a look at the Payforit Faq for GiffGaffers linked in my signature. I think you will find it will help you understand what has happened to you.

If not, come back to me either here or by leaving a comment on the Payforitsucks website.

These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry.

Paul

http://payforitsucks.co.uk/giffgaff-payforit-faq/

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 3 of 6
by: endorphin
on: 05/08/2018 | 17:08

Hi @petalpeta this thread contains information on how to get your money back from fitguru https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Fitguru-premium-text/td-p/21992735

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 4 of 6
by: tradertall
on: 06/08/2018 | 12:43

@petalpeta wrote:

Piers Morgan is never needed.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: divot
on: 09/08/2018 | 09:49
I have just had £3.00 repaid to my phone by e-mailing >**email_removed** and copying in the cs authority >**email_removed** after making and getting a complaint reference from the latter. Unfortunately my spam inbox has increased since contacting taptronic re fitguru! I was reluctant to telephone taptronic who seem connected to another scammer, bestvipgames given the nature of these companies. There is no innocent error here. I suspect asking for your money back without involving the CS authority is pointless. The Payforit regime is seriously flawed in that it clearly fails consumers by setting the bar in favour of scammers. I am minded of the person who asked to be sent a penny by everyone and ended up a millionaire. The scammers are relying on large numbers not being prepared to chase refunds. The CS authority should act as the claimant on our behalf and not oblige us to contact such firms.
I have emptied my top up goody bag and I will not refill it with my own money as I expect the scammers to come back for further bites of the cherry as Giffgaff will not stop these scams. I was minded to try and sue Giffgaff for conspiracy to defraud, possibly with others unnamed claimants who had failed to secure repayment but as I have got my money back, I am no longer able to do so.
I am now looking around for another phone operator which does not allow Premium Rate scams and someone has suggested this is the case with Tesco. As I have a double sim phone, I will investigate further.
Message 6 of 6