Knowledge Base
Community

GIFFGAFF IS NOT FOR ME

Started by: excalliber461
On: 30/09/2018 | 15:21
Replies: 27

by: excalliber461
on: 30/09/2018 | 15:21

I`ve only been with Giffgaff since Monday 24th September and I`m giving up on Giffgaff and reverting back to my old provider EE which although was much more expensive but at least it was 100% reliable, fast and worked perfectly for me. I`ve explained before that I`m using my Giffgaff sim in a Dongle which is plugged into my Laptop...Nothing & I mean nothing apart from this page is loading. I cannot upload or download anything. I can`t acces ebay, You Tube, my email service, Online Banking, absolutly zero. Most of my 8GB of data has already been used up trying to get the service to work.

Message 1 of 28
by: 4quarrybank
on: 30/09/2018 | 15:33

Giffgaff is easy to come and go from, so at least it's only 30 days pay and go

Message 2 of 28
by: isabel1066
on: 30/09/2018 | 15:33
@excalliber461 is the dongle unlocked and if the dongle is a usb one these a very hard to set up to work on giffgaff.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 28
by: bobrobinson
on: 30/09/2018 | 15:56

Hiya @excalliber461

Try not using the dongle and use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

Or you can tether from your phone using a usb cable.

They both work well for me.

Please giv it a go.

All the best Bob

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 28
by: bluenose55
on: 30/09/2018 | 21:33
That's a lot of data to use.good luck
Message 5 of 28
by: revjonty
on: 01/10/2018 | 03:51 edited: 01/10/2018 | 04:16

It seems to me that you are either in an area with poor reception for giffgaff (o2), or there's an issue with the local mast.
If you check here you can see if any issues are reported.
https://giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service

I'm sorry your experience has been less than ideal.
Providing the make and model of your dongle might help someone provide advise, but, seeing as you have managed to use it I'm guessing it is set up correctly.

One thing I can suggest is trying different places in the house, sometimes something as simple as being in a different room can make a dramatic difference.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edit to add. 

The speed you quote as what you have been getting in your other thread suggests to me that you have only been able to connect to a 2G signal. This would indicate to me that there is a mast/signal issue. 

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 28
by: figment_uk
on: 01/10/2018 | 05:37

@excalliber461

Sorry to hear that giffgaff is not for you, but I have to question how you have used most of your 8GB of data if nothing is working. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 7 of 28
by: revjonty
on: 01/10/2018 | 06:54
@figment_uk
If I can hazard a guess.
When you try to do stuff on a laptop with a really slow connection, you can use an awful lot of data even though the pages time out before they load. In my experience more data was used not being able to do anything, than would have been if the sodding pages had loaded.
I once used about 500mb of data getting nowhere, before I gave up on it.
I wouldn't have the patience to waste 8 gig like that though.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 28
by: walkrightback
on: 01/10/2018 | 10:13
As I have said several times before all networks do not suit every individual needs.
Message 9 of 28
by: mcilwraith
on: 01/10/2018 | 11:06

pity about that @excalliber461 better the devil you know i suppose.good luck

Message 10 of 28