Get Help
Community

General Discussion is more valuable than H&S !

Started by: extreme_one
On: 09/07/2018 | 20:20
Replies: 18

by: extreme_one
on: 09/07/2018 | 20:20

H&S is extremely useful, of course, but I reckon GD might have more value, because it provides customers a reason to stick around and stay with giffgaff longer term.

The H&S forum gives users with a problem a quick-fix, but often that might very well be their last interaction with the community.

I reckon there are lots of giffgaff members that spend time on the GD forum, whereas without it they may have moved over to a different network.

I mention this because often I notice a certain amount of scorn towards GD, along with the opinion that its somehow less valuable than other parts of the community.

The thing is, customer retention is extremely valuable!

Alongside Payback I'd guesstimate that GD is responsible for retaining more long-term customers than H&S, by a long margin.

Of course I don't have access to the metrics to prove or disprove this theory, it's just a hunch.

What do you think?

If this can be taken 2 ways, and 1 offends, I probably meant the other way. Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 19
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 20:38
You're almost certainly spot on.
Message 2 of 19
by: weelesleymc
on: 09/07/2018 | 21:06

without payback general discussion would lose a lot of contributers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 19
by: woodyuk
on: 09/07/2018 | 21:14

An interesting theory but as you say,without the relevant stats it's impossible to reach a conclusion.

I can give you the figures for H&S usage,there are 3000 help requests a week + or - about 5% from week to week but we have no way of knowing how many of the 3000 members per week go on to stay with giffgaff for a long time because their problem has been solved.

How many members would you say regularly inhabit GD?Althougn I very seldom post there I usualy browse the first 50 threads ( I use a 50 threads per page linear layout) to see what's happening and I've always thought that there is quite a small pool of really prolific posters there but there's no way to tell how many members spend a lot of time in GD even if they don't post a great deal.

Message 4 of 19
by: the_islander
on: 09/07/2018 | 21:45 edited: 09/07/2018 | 21:48

A lot of very good points made already here.

GD certainly has its place as an important forum, I'm sure it does encourage retention in partnership with payback, it's certainly what kept me with giffgaff in my early days.

It's no secret that many are simply here for the payback and being paid to chat is a perfect why to keep people on board. Would GD be used the same way if payback wasn't given is certainly an interesting idea. I'd like to think we'd see less one word responses in sticked threads at least 😂😂

@woodyuk does make a very valid point that although a lot of people use GD during their time as part of the community, a pool of prolific posters (I like that description btw) do dominate and its hard to establish just how many use that forum and stay because of it.

Equally there's many people who don't even use giffgaff as their main provider but use the forums to collect payback and simply keep a sim active by sending a text once every few months, which brings us back to GD being used to get payback without being a proper giffgaff user, so although keeps retention, doesn't promote growth. I haven't topped up since activating this sim 2 almost 3 years ago, although the new goodybags might actually change that. Smiley Wink

Edit: I've had this sim longer than I though! Almost time for my 3 year sticker 🎉

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 19
by: nominate
on: 09/07/2018 | 21:51 edited: 16/07/2018 | 10:22
Click to reveal

extreme_one wrote:

H&S is extremely useful, of course, but I reckon GD might have more value, because it provides customers a reason to stick around and stay with giffgaff longer term.

The H&S forum gives users with a problem a quick-fix, but often that might very well be their last interaction with the community.

I reckon there are lots of giffgaff members that spend time on the GD forum, whereas without it they may have moved over to a different network.

I mention this because often I notice a certain amount of scorn towards GD, along with the opinion that its somehow less valuable than other parts of the community.

The thing is, customer retention is extremely valuable!

Alongside Payback I'd guesstimate that GD is responsible for retaining more long-term customers than H&S, by a long margin.

Of course I don't have access to the metrics to prove or disprove this theory, it's just a hunch.

What do you think?

A lot could depend on what is meant by members and/or customers Smiley Indifferent

Considering anyone can post in GD without being a gg customer or even having an active gg sim I can't see how it would encourage anyone not to move networks

Also considering GD payback isn't restricted to a minimum spend on goodybags or PAYG etc can it really be valuable for customer retention?

I suspect that many if not the majority of GD only payback recipients use other networks as their main provider.

Message 6 of 19
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 22:08
Good points @the_islander and @nominate, re people using giffgaff as a spare SIM purely for payback whilst having their main provider elsewhere. I'd forgotten about them, (and I suppose me last time round considering giffgaff decided to throw a ton of money my way for trialling them).

Makes me wonder too about those who pay way less for service than they obtain via payback which they use to fund things like fixed line connectivity and the rest too.

I still think @revjonty is right about GD being a factor in retention, but yeah it's probably a long, long way behind the big bribe.
Message 7 of 19
by: extreme_one
on: 09/07/2018 | 22:57

nominate wrote:

A lot could depend on what is meant by members and/or customers Smiley Indifferent

What's the difference, really?

If this can be taken 2 ways, and 1 offends, I probably meant the other way. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 19
by: nominate
on: 09/07/2018 | 23:19 edited: 09/07/2018 | 23:23

extreme_one wrote:

nominate wrote:

What's the difference, really?

That's what I wondered Smiley Indifferent

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/What-makes-you-feel-more-like-a-member-or-a-customer/m-...

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-Join/What-makes-you-feel-more-like-a-member-or-a-customer/...

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/General-Discussion/What-makes-you-feel-more-like-a-member-or-a-cus...

Maybe a customer could be someone who generates positive revenue/income for giffgaff by buying goodybags or frequently topping-up etc and a member could be anyone who posts on the forums?

Message 9 of 19
by: masterluke
on: 10/07/2018 | 08:33

One thing you've probably never thought of, people might decide to join giffgaff upon arriving on the GD forum from a search engine search. As the topics can be completely random - especially mine, which could be anything from baking bannock bread to keeping shrimp and Thai micro crabs, aurora pics and looking at the Moon or Pleiades cluster through a telescope. Smiley Very Happy People are much less likely to arrive at the forum from those that create Trump threads and copy and pasted news stories, which there are a lot of these days.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 19