Knowledge Base
Community

Giff gaff App

Started by: liz_smillie
On: 10/09/2015 | 12:45
Replies: 7

by: liz_smillie
on: 10/09/2015 | 12:45

I have transferred across from O2 who used to have a mobile app that allowed me to use the phone through wireless when in a zero signal area. Could Giffgaff develop a smimalar app to 'TuGo' because I rarely get a signal where I live?

Message 1 of 8
by: kicker
on: 10/09/2015 | 12:48
There are giffgaff App's for all types of phones now, but nothing like TuGo I'm afraid @liz_smillie.
Get a free giffgaff SimEconomy is the wealth of the poor and the wisdom of the rich.
Message 2 of 8
by: jammydodge
on: 10/09/2015 | 12:48
Hi

That has been mentioned as needing to be done. There is an idea for it which I have supported and would advise you to do aswell.

Hope that helps
Kind regards,
JammyDodge
“Click“Click“Service “Click
Message 3 of 8
by: tinman9898
on: 10/09/2015 | 13:04

You should be able to use your phone wherever there is a free wifi hotspot such as coffee shops, food outlets etc. anyway without using the app.  However it would be a good idea if GiffGaff intorduced a similar system as BT where you can use BT Wifi through spare capacity on people's routers as long as you have your broadband with BT.  Although it may be difficult now as O2 (The network GifGaff use to 'piggy back' on) sold their Broadband to Sky.

Message 5 of 8
by: xollobru
on: 10/09/2015 | 13:18 edited: 10/09/2015 | 13:24

liz_smillie wrote:

I have transferred across from O2 who used to have a mobile app that allowed me to use the phone through wireless when in a zero signal area. Could Giffgaff develop a smimalar app to 'TuGo' because I rarely get a signal where I live?

@liz_smillie

@jammydodge

An app like this has been and is the subject of numerous ideas but giffgaff seem reluctant to divert the resources that would be needed to develop it.

The following is their response to the original idea:

19th May 2015 - Good Afternoon folks, this idea is currently on the backburner. It's something we love the concept of, but with how saturated the market is with Whatsapp Calls, Skype, Viber and others, we can't see the argument for supporting the resources it would take to create and maintain this feature. We'd need a strong case that people would use giffgaff's feature over the popular apps like Skype, Facetime and Whatsapp. 

Add your support to the original idea here:

http://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/9525810 

Message 6 of 8
by: bill48er
on: 10/09/2015 | 14:29

tinman9898 wrote:

You should be able to use your phone wherever there is a free wifi hotspot such as coffee shops, food outlets etc. anyway without using the app.  However it would be a good idea if GiffGaff intorduced a similar system as BT where you can use BT Wifi through spare capacity on people's routers as long as you have your broadband with BT.  Although it may be difficult now as O2 (The network GifGaff use to 'piggy back' on) sold their Broadband to Sky.

These Android apps are also very useful and free to use.

They work well with no battery drain - they are no good for use at home though.....

fastconnect and o2.android.wifi

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!
Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 7 of 8
by: liz_smillie
on: 10/09/2015 | 18:25

Many thanks for the advice.  My problem is only at home as I have BT broadband so out and about is no problem!

Message 8 of 8