Knowledge Base
Community

Giffgaff has no qualms about scamming it's loyal customers

Started by: hyodirect
On: 17/07/2018 | 06:18
Replies: 18

by: hyodirect
on: 17/07/2018 | 06:18

I have been with giffaff for some years, and in that whole time I thought giffgaff was as unlikely to scam people as I was to change to another provider, which in hindsight shows how naive I am (and how, respectively, it is time to find a newer provider with better principles and transparency).

I think you know where this is going...

...all the customers who religiously pay their £20 each month in exchange for an unlimited data, calls and texts plan would have been stunned (and those who are unaware of the changes and yet to find out - the hard way) to find out, without any warning, their goodbag no longer contains the unlimited data you were expecting.

This bold move, by giffgaff, would have caught people off guard since people, at least I, were not given sufficient and reasonable notification. I received neither a text or nor a diversion explaining the changes. It is wholly unfair to expect that users accustomed to purchasing their goodbag's do so reading the exact details, of the plan every month, expecting changes, especially when it is not a typical one.

This is a really underhanded move and definitely not one I would expect from a well established firm such as giffgaff. In future I would suggest that you, giffgaff, inform your customers, through reasonable means, of such changes. This could either be through a text or a diversion, in the payment page, with a clear, bold warning underlining the relevant changes to the relevant goodbag (or highlighting all the changes altogether).

Take pride in the fact you have (had - we'll see all the unhappy bunnies over the course of the month, believe me) a loyal customer base. Take responsibility.

Cheers,

Hyo

Message 1 of 19
by: johna002
on: 17/07/2018 | 06:25 edited: 17/07/2018 | 06:26

HI there @hyodirect - whilst I agree with you that the price should not have gone up and also an extra £5 for not a lot extra is a bit harsh, we were given warning about a month ago that the new tarriffs were being introduced. Maybe some members were not informed which is a shame. I must add however that for your £20 you are still getting 20GB of data and unlimited everything else which is still a very fair priced plan in this market.

"PLEASE REMEMBER TO AWARD KUDOS AND A BEST ANSWER TO ANYONE WHO HAS HELPED YOU"
Get a free giffgaff Sim

CLICK ON THE BANNER ABOVE FOR YOUR FREE SIM CARD
Message 2 of 19
on: 17/07/2018 | 06:37
I was not given warning.

And I know, now, that £20 has "unlimited everything else", but that is not why I purchase this goodybag plan. Of course I can pay the extra fiver to get what I want, but what I am complaining about has gone past that and is an issue of principle.

A large company such as giffgaff should be aware of the impact this will have on its customers and make the appropriate efforts to keep them up to date. It is foolhardy not to.
Message 3 of 19
by: johna002
on: 17/07/2018 | 06:41

Hi there @hyodirect - I know not all giff gaff customers use the community board online, however giff gaff is all about being online and everything you need to know is somewhere on the site. The link below is from the annoucements board, so just checking these occasionally will give you an insight into how things are changing at giff gaff. I know you cannot rely on people checking the annoucements to find out about changes and that is why giff gaff keep us upto date via email and text as well.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Say-hello-to-more-data-on-our-5-amp-7-50-goodybags-a...

"PLEASE REMEMBER TO AWARD KUDOS AND A BEST ANSWER TO ANYONE WHO HAS HELPED YOU"
Get a free giffgaff Sim

CLICK ON THE BANNER ABOVE FOR YOUR FREE SIM CARD
Message 4 of 19
on: 17/07/2018 | 07:10
A reasonable response, to which I have a reasonable reply: the announcement was made on the 11th of July, the same day I purchased my goodybag.

I must admit I do not frequent the announcements board, but even if I did it would be highly plausible, and reasonable, that I would have missed the announcement.

But again, I must reiterate, it is simply a matter of principle, and I was not given a sufficient means of notification (by text or email).
Message 5 of 19
by: pwei94
on: 17/07/2018 | 07:15
The announcement was made over a month prior to the change. You would have also received an email or sms, unless you have opted out of all messages from giffgaff, but that is your choice.
Message 6 of 19
by: tazzy19
on: 17/07/2018 | 07:17

@hyodirect

Please re read the announcement, it was made on 11th Juneslide17-11-2014-07.11.0706-07-2016-18.24.3517-07-2018-07.16.39.jpg

Message 7 of 19
by: bigjack57
on: 17/07/2018 | 07:19
Hyo,
I tend to agree with you and am really surprised that you weren't informed by e-mail or text as not everyone has time or inclination to spend much time in the giffgaff forums or website. Hope you'll stay all the same as the £20 goodybag is still very good value albeit not being as good as it was!
Message 8 of 19
on: 17/07/2018 | 07:23
Fair enough. Though realistically a marginal amount of people frequent the site and giffgaff knows this.
Message 9 of 19
on: 17/07/2018 | 07:27
Funny. I get all kinds of trivial junk sent to me. I wasn't notified about this though.

And, out of curiosity, what's with the need to be a giffgaff apologist? What's in it for you? Brownie points?
Message 10 of 19