Knowledge Base
Community

Giffgaff is the best

Started by: phil8715
On: 11/04/2010 | 14:48
Replies: 11

by: phil8715
on: 11/04/2010 | 14:48

Recently despite having 2 contracts with 3UK I'm using my Giffgaff sim more and more.

The reason why?

My other phone being on 3 it's either 3g or nothing. Giffgaff provides either 2g or 3g support.

I've missed important calls on my 3UK phone because for some reason dispite having a full 3g coverage my phone diverts to voicemail without even ringing. And i've checked the settings and all seem to be in order.

My Giffgaff sim JUST WORKS it's being put into a 2g handset and i've never missed a call.

Why? because it uses O2 as its parent company and i believe O2 is the best at what it does.

It's fantastic.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 12
by: ragnorak
on: 11/04/2010 | 15:28

To be fair every network works better than 3 for calls. Smiley Happy Also being fixed on 2g gives you a more stable connection if the 3g signal is weak. But yes I reckon giffgaff/O2 is the best network for us in terms of reception.

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 2 of 12
on: 11/04/2010 | 15:37

Problem is that the phone on my 3UK contract an HTC Hero has been setup that it can't be set to 2g.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 12
by: paul_shirley
on: 11/04/2010 | 15:59

Harsh!

@phil8715 wrote:

My other phone being on 3 it's either 3g or nothing. Giffgaff provides either 2g or 3g support.

I'll let you in on a secret: 2G works perfectly with a "3" SIM. What doesn't work is a "3" SIM in a 2G phone, in a rare show of candor from "3" they tell you that frequently - including on the SIM packaging next to the seal! Hardly unexpected either since its a 3G only network and 2G has to be bought in. Bit of a showstopper for most punters though.

Its fun to rip into "3"s many faults. Bit too easy though Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 12
by: paul_shirley
on: 11/04/2010 | 16:08 edited: 11/04/2010 | 16:10

@phil8715 wrote:

Problem is that the phone on my 3UK contract an HTC Hero has been setup that it can't be set to 2g.

Time to root and debrand your Hero then. Have you tried enabling "Wireless Controls/Mobile Networks/Data roaming" yet or did they hide that, without it Android will only have data on a 3G or WiFi connection. It defaults to off because its a great way to drain credit fast in the USA through offnet pricing. Its not a problem here but turn it off before leaving the country!

Message 5 of 12
on: 11/04/2010 | 16:17

I'll wait till the Android 2.1 update then root it if theres no improvement.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 12
by: geekonthepc
on: 11/04/2010 | 17:57

I agree - 3 is getting the boot next week when I'll be handing my PAC to giffgaff.

I get 2G with 3 on my phone, but not with my mi-fi - which is rubbish. So if gg ever do SIM only mobile broadband I will take it up on launch day. I've unlocked my mi-fi device ready for that day Smiley Happy

A little bit lost with your new network? Have a look at my handcrafted online manual - head over to the giffgaff bible. It explains everything you need to know. Smiley Happy

That little star on the left can make my day Smiley Happy. If I've said something that's useful, feel free to press it. Thank you. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 12
by: m_kosar
on: 11/04/2010 | 22:59

Hi

I think you haven't expearianced reception problem but I have I miss my loads of calls because of an O2's reception if you have any idea to resolve this problem then I'll say.

"GIFFGAFF IS really THE BEST"

Message 8 of 12
on: 11/04/2010 | 23:22

It could be where you live. I live in a small village and O2 reception is very good. It might be an idea to do a coverage check on the O2 website. That will tell you what sort of reception you're likley to receive. It's also possible that a transmitter in your locality may be down.

Another thing to bear in mind is if you're using a 3g handset it will try to default to 3g unless it's set to 2g.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 12
by: englishbeer
on: 12/04/2010 | 09:28

Hi geekonthepc

How did you unlock your mifi? Is it easy to change settings and swap sims?

Thanks

John

Message 10 of 12