Community

Giffgaff uses loophole to con customers

Started by: foonle
On: 12/07/2018 | 14:58
Replies: 22

by: foonle
on: 12/07/2018 | 17:33
@endorphin
Not sure if you intentionally avoided my question or just didn't understand it. Anyway, let's just leave it there shall we, have a nice day.
Message 11 of 23
by: mcilwraith
on: 12/07/2018 | 17:41

foonle wrote:

@mcilwraith
Not sure if you intentionally avoided my question or just didn't understand it. Anyway, let's just leave it there shall we, have a nice day.

if you mean what are my thoughts then i think the regulations are fine the way they are.but i keep in touch with my friends abroad using wifi or data.it makes sense

Message 12 of 23
by: as7861
on: 12/07/2018 | 18:02 edited: 12/07/2018 | 18:21

Hi @foonle

In my view, there seem to be no cons from giffgaff. I was actually pleased that the EU set out a law to allow customers like us.

From what I understand you're referring to the element of being allowed to call from France to Spain using your goodybag while roaming for example. The general term we use is roaming like home. So yea that covers it. 

So if the Law had a loophole, it was something that abuses the law. In this case, the law was intended to get rid of roaming costs in EU. Roaming meaning going outside of your home country.

It did not refer to the home country to EU country calls and texts. Wasn't indented too.

Moving outside the roaming factor which you are referring to is international calling and texting. Would it make it easier for people to have this included? Yes.

The point about UK being of EU no one is doubt of that(at this current time). The law is meant for outside of the home country (in EU) and it is serving its purpose I think.

Btw you can have look at the idea about international goodybag here- https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/13921225/international-goodybag

Edit- I wanted say Welcome back to community as you have away for years Smiley Happy

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 23
by: foonle
on: 12/07/2018 | 18:30
@as7861
"Would it make it easier for people to have this included? Yes. "
Thank you for your response and for understanding my point. It's difficult to get a point across on here because there are so many people who just go on the defensive.
It seems we are in agreement, it would be much easier for people to have this included. Of course, giffgaff aren't legally obliged to include the UK in the EU free zone, so they don't, but it would be nice if they did wouldn't it? Personally I'd say it is the only fair and moral thing to do. The only reason not to do so is to make more money from customers.
Message 14 of 23
by: as7861
on: 12/07/2018 | 18:47 edited: 12/07/2018 | 19:02

Hi @foonle

Yes I agree on the point making it easier Smiley Happy But got to remember that giffgaff is a business but saying this giffgaff has gone beyond other networks with listening to customers (i.e members). Did you know there is a place called the lab on giffgaff website, this where they put excellent ideas how small or how big it maybe. Do have a search before you do submit tho, there might be a idea with 100's of votes. I have listed an idea that I think would be great Smiley Happy You can vote by clicking the red heart. over time giffgaff will assess the idea and trust me idea have got implemented. So giffgaff do want to listen but you to remember its not easy sometimes, as there might constraints such in this case connection charges to EU countries. (we wouldn't want giffgaff to go into loses then bankruptcy Smiley Tongue) the good point is that when opportunity allows it can be real possibility for giffgaff to look at this in one shape or form Smiley Happy

https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/13921225/international-goodybag

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 23
Highlighted
by: various_mm
on: 12/07/2018 | 20:20
@foonle

when you are sing your phone in the UK you are not roaming. the roaming rules were put into place by the EU so that when you used your phone abroad you didn't end up paying more than what you would do when roaming.

these are the rules and GG just comply with them.

If my answer resolved your query then please mark it as a ' solution '. Thank you!
Message 16 of 23
by: tradertall
on: 13/07/2018 | 11:54
unfortunately all companies do that.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 23
by: nick74
on: 13/07/2018 | 13:09
Why blame Giffgaff? All other UK networks do the same, and all networks I've checked in other EU countries do the same too.

If the EU wanted to extend this to include use in a user's own country they should have put that in the rules.
Message 18 of 23
by: cps15966
on: 14/07/2018 | 13:45
I see your point , there's more on it here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2014/08/revealed-it-costs-more-...
cps15966 - The creator of the idea for @ mentions you have all come to use and love Smiley Tongue
Message 19 of 23
by: freedmaniac
on: 15/07/2018 | 11:20

@foonle

I understand your point perfectly, but i think it is unfair to call it a "con".

The fact is that all of these companies are FORCED into charging the same in the EU as when at home - that does not make it necessarily profitable, but they have to put up with it because the jolly old EU says so.

In my view, it is simply that application of EU rules makes what was previously the norm now appear very expensive and at first sight may look like a "con" to some.

Message 20 of 23