Knowledge Base
Community

Giffgaff uses loophole to con customers

Started by: foonle
On: 12/07/2018 | 14:58
Replies: 22

by: foonle
on: 12/07/2018 | 14:58 edited: 12/07/2018 | 15:03

I've been a giffgaff customer for years and I've been happy with their service and 'fairness', until now.

The EU introdruced rules so that phone companies can't rip off their customers within the EU. Let's be honest, they really did rip people off before the rules came in, even giffgaff.

Well, it seems there is a bit of a loophole allowing giffgaff to continue to rip customers off.

If you are in country outside of UK, but within the EU, then calls and texts to other EU countries are included in your goodybag allowances.

BUT, if you are in the UK, then calls and texts to other EU countries are charged and not included!

So it's cheaper to use your phone abroad, within the EU and outside of the UK!

What a complete and utter conjob. They really are taking us for a ride and taking advantage of the massive loophole allowing them to do that. Just like every other company, giffgaff have no conscience or concern for their customers, they are literally taking the ....

Shame on them and their greedy corporate disgusting behaviour.

Message 1 of 23
by: endorphin
on: 12/07/2018 | 15:15

@foonle The EU regulations mandate that you should not be charged extra for using your phone in the EU and this is the case. However when you're not roaming in the EU but are in your "home" country then the EU regulations do not apply.

giffgaff have always charged from your credit for international calls and texts (including to EU countries) and this hasn't changed as these charges do not come under the EU regulations.

See here for more detail Key info for roaming in the EU and selected destinations

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 23
by: adamondemand
on: 12/07/2018 | 15:38
The EU introduced "ROAMING" regulations. When you're within the UK, you're not "ROAMING". Therefore, your usage in the UK is not affected by the EU roaming regulations. As it's domestic usage within your home country. This is hardly a loophole and I think you'll find giffgaff offer some of the most competitive international rates.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 23
by: weetinamc
on: 12/07/2018 | 16:25

seems fair enough to me

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 23
by: mcilwraith
on: 12/07/2018 | 16:30

what loophole?

thats how it works.roaming is when you are abroad.not when your in your own country

Message 5 of 23
by: padiho
on: 12/07/2018 | 16:39

@foonle It isn't a con at all, roaming  means when you are out of your own country. When in the UK 🇬🇧 your not roaming 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 23
on: 12/07/2018 | 17:15 edited: 13/07/2018 | 11:18

@endorphin

@adamondemand

@mcilwraith

@padiho
Loophole = inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.
There are 28 countries in the EU. If I am in 27 of them, calls and texts to any of the 28 are not charged extra.
If I am in 1 of the 28, i.e.the UK, calls and texts to other EU countries are charged extra.
That's a big inadequacy in the law. There's no excuse for it other that 'EU regulations mandate' and greed.
Any thoughts on this particular issue?

**post edited by an educator**

Message 7 of 23
by: mcilwraith
on: 12/07/2018 | 17:22

@foonle i actually knew what a loophole is.i also know what roaming is when pertaining to mobile networks

Message 8 of 23
by: endorphin
on: 12/07/2018 | 17:30

@foonle the EU rules are entitled "EU Roaming Regulations" and only apply when you are roaming. When you're in the UK, in this case, you are not roaming and hence those rules don't apply.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 9 of 23
on: 12/07/2018 | 17:32
@mcilwraith
Not sure if you intentionally avoided my question or just didn't understand it. Anyway, let's just leave it there shall we, have a nice day.
Message 10 of 23